Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

18 month old won't play with any toys

jackieoicklejackieoickle member
edited September 2015 in Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Ugh! My son is showing little to no interest in playing with toys. He's a busy boy, has always been. He's not the type to sit and play. He does watch the wiggles twice a day, I try to limit his T.V time. All he wants to do is climb furniture, is obsessed with opening and closing things like cupboards, microwave door, fridge door, and just runs around the house all day. I try to mix up the day by going to the park a few times a week, he really enjoys the outdoors but I can't do it everyday all day. He hardly plays with his toys. Lego for a short time and the only toy he really plays with is a ride on zebra that plays music. Is it normal for him to not have any interest in his toys? He has soooo many, I'm soon just going to pack them all away. He recently went for his 18 month check and I mentioned it to the doctor, she didn't see, to conserned. I said to her he loves to play with things in my cupboard like bowls and things but shows no interest in toys. Maybe someone can suggest something that may spark his interest.

Re: 18 month old won't play with any toys

• My son loves opening and closing doors and washing dishes(pouring water in different bowls). Jumping on and off furniture is his favorite. The main toys he likes are MegaBlocks (mainly crashing towers I build), a play cell phone that has lots if buttons to push and makes noises, and a sesame street noise making toy with lots of different buttons. Putting some toys away isn't a bad idea. I've read that they get overwhelmed with choices and bored with the same old toys so if you cycle them out he might show more interest.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • He sounds like a busy happy kid! I'd agree that maybe putting away toys would be helpful if he's got a lot, he may be getting overwhelmed.

If he likes opening/ shutting doors, does he have a play kitchen? There are some nice sturdy wooden ones out there (or plans on Pinterest if that's your jam), and you could put in things like bowls and Tupperware for him to pull out. Daughter loves the empty yogurt containers we put into her kitchen!

You say he doesn't like toys but he likes the bowls in your cabinet. Really, those are toys to him! He can do all sorts of learning with bowls. Stacking, sorting, noise, size, color, if they're not all made of the same material, texture, etc.

I wouldn't be worried about him. I can see it being frustrating for you if he is busy all day and you want him to settle and play quietly with his toys, but it really sounds normal to me!
  • Loading the player...
  • jackieoicklejackieoickle member
    edited September 2015
    Okay! Sounds like I'm not the only one with a busy little one. As I type this he is taking dog treats and putting them back in the box LOL! Yes it can get a bit stressful trying to do simple things in my kitchen when I have to worry about him climbing on the back of the love seat. I've been looking for a play kitchen or play house, maybe that's what I need. When I take him to a toddler play group at a local day car center he always goes to the play house to open and close the doors and shufflers. I will have to look into getting one ;) thanks for your imput. Also I will n doing a sort of his toys, he does have quite a few.
  • Try to get outside every day. If you don't have time for the park just a walk around the block or playing with a ball is good. We have to get outside every day just for some fresh air. Baby asks to "go"!

Agree-put many of the toys away. Basics like he plays with are good. As well as blocks, cars, balls. Just not too many at once!
  • jackieoicklejackieoickle member
    edited September 2015
    My husband works long days, 6 days a week, and I work shift work :( my mom ( na na) has him and tries to get him outside at least for an hour when she is watching him. If he had his way he would be outsdie all day '
  • I agree less toys the better- and have them easy to see and easy to access. I also try to keep the toys picked up so its not so overwhelming. But my little one also doesn't always play with her toys. She recently got some little people gifted to her which she likes, as well as a shopping cart she likes to push around.
  • @jackieoickle our boys could be BFFs DS does the same things. We don't go outside very much though cause he has asthma and a lot of allergies and tries to pick leaves, roses and eat wood chips as well as climb up the big boy slides and rock wall! I got one of those leashes for our outings in busy areas. At library story time he climbs and stands on chairs, messes with the window treatments, checks the trash can and puts everything he can inside it, checks all the electric sockets etc. needless to say we don't get out much. Best of luck to you!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Sounds completely normal.

My 21 month old loves climbing, and playing with "non-toys" as well. The one thing she does love is her play kitchen.

I throw all the couch cushions on the ground and we build "mountains" for her to climb and roll around in. When I'm working in the kitchen, she has a little pot, some wooden spoons and old tupperware she plays with.

We are going through her toys currently and putting a ton of them away because we are finding that we are overwhelmed with it all, so we can only imagine how it is effecting her.
  • mhwood said:
    Sounds completely normal.

My 21 month old loves climbing, and playing with "non-toys" as well. The one thing she does love is her play kitchen.

I throw all the couch cushions on the ground and we build "mountains" for her to climb and roll around in. When I'm working in the kitchen, she has a little pot, some wooden spoons and old tupperware she plays with.

We are going through her toys currently and putting a ton of them away because we are finding that we are overwhelmed with it all, so we can only imagine how it is effecting her.

This.

You have a normal kid OP ;)

• People would ask me what my DDs favorite toy was and I'd give them a blank look... at 2 years I could say "office supplies" at 3 years play doh (a bit) and now at 4 years definitely crafts. But it's still go, go, go for her. In contrast, my DS plays with toys (and reads lots of books). All different ways!

Unexplained IF/RPL

TTC#1 2003 BFNs, 2004-2009 imageimageimageimageimage 5 angels above

2010 IVF-PGS-FET#1, DD b. Aug-2011 image

TTC#2 2012 BFNs, 2013 FET#2, DS b. Nov-2013 image

TTC#3 2015 BFNs, FET#3 image (my 6th and last angel above)

Journey Complete.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• my daughter just turned 12 months and she wont play with toys either she would rather play with the box the toy came in. lots of her toys are learning toys like her first laptop and things like that her ped said that she would eventually interest in them but right now everything she s not suppose to have or stuff she can climb in is more appealing to her have you tried toys h came walk or crawl threw I know it sounds funny but we took the boxes our daughters diapers came in and made them where ahe could climb inside of them and she loves it he will eventually grow interest in his toys but for now just let him explore with just things around the house that are safe both of my girls are the same way and actually my 10 year old plays with my 1 year olds toys more than she does.i wish I could get my youngest to sit and watch tv just once a day she has no interest in that either....