August 2015 Moms
Options

BTDT moms nursing in public

SaratiffSaratiff member
edited September 2015 in August 2015 Moms
to start with I am not a whip out my boob girl in public. Right now I am always in my room to nurse because I'm basically topless while I nurse her ( staying with my inlaws right now).

My question is I don't have any specific nursing tops just nursing bras and Camis. What type of nursing shirts work best? Any you love or swear by?

Secondly my little one is 5.5 weeks so obviously is not latching herself. Any tips for being around other people, latching little one without everyone seeing my boob? I really want to be able to be around people again.

Thanks again!

Edited to make title more specific
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: BTDT moms nursing in public

• Options
    If I'm just wearing a nursing bra I usually wear a tank and a loose fitting shirt ; that way I pull the shirt up & the tank down so not much room for accidentally showing everyone what I'm working with ;)
    I usually try to pinch my nipple and areola between my ring and middle finger & then guide it to her mouth- it takes a few practice trials!
  • Options
    I do the same thing @toccoaparker does but I also use a nursing cover because we aren't pros at latching without guidance yet. I bought the Udder Covers Brand nursing cover because it was extremely cheap and I wasn't sure if I was ever going to use it. I nursed in public for the first time last Sunday at church. I was nervous at first but it wasn't bad.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I bought a ton of button down flannels from H&M. I like them a lot.
  • Options
    You can make a nursing scarf by getting one yard of jersey knit fabric and sewing the short sides together. It takes less than 10 min. I used mine at dinner last week.
    Together since '07
    Married since '12
    Off the pill since 5/14
    BFP: 8/10/14 -- CP 8/22/14
    BFP: 12/10/15 -- Prayers requested

• Options

You can make a nursing scarf by getting one yard of jersey knit fabric and sewing the short sides together. It takes less than 10 min. I used mine at dinner last week.

That's a fantastic idea! This way it could go all the way around your body whereas the nursing cover just covers the front. I'm getting better with the cover, but still nervous I'll give some man a free show on accident.
  • Options
    I also wear a tank and regular shirt. I pull the shirt up and my belly is still covered with the tank. And I use a nursing cover because we are not good at latching yet and everyone see my boob if I didn't wear one! And like you, I'm not a whip my boob out kinda girl! I'm just too self conscious!
  • Options
    I like actual nursing tanks under shirts as opposed to just normal tank tops because I don't have to screw with a bra also that way. These ones from Motherhood Maternity are my favorites right now: https://www.motherhood.com/Product.asp?Product_Id=97429Z10362&MasterCategory_Id=MC29 Keep in mind I'm only a B cup even while breastfeeding but they provide great support, are really thing material and you can't tell I'm wearing anything other than a normal bra even under form fitting shirts.

As for covering, unless I'm at home and either my parents or my in-laws are here and I actually want to cover (for that  use a real nursing cover and sit on the couch generally), otherwise I usually just use a muslin swaddle blanket tucked into my nursing tank strap. Its much more lightweight, covers okay, and I can use it for other things. I also spend the vast majority of my time with other moms that are currently or have breastfed babies (or are used to being around us that do/have) and the majority don't use covers, so I do have that going for me. The only reason I cover at all right now is because this little girl likes to bobble head around my boob till letdown so it would be a total show for several minutes otherwise. My oldest wouldn't put up with covers after around 3 months, so I'm figuring the same will happen. Hopefully she will just be a little better at latching right away by then! 
  • Options
    I wear nursing tanks and a regular shirt like @Lalala2326. I don't use a cover unless my dad is around because he is uncomfortable being around it. He has made progress though. With my first child he would leave the room even with a cover but now with baby #3 he seemed okay with me BFing at the dinner table.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • Options
    I use the baba sling for nursing in public. I love it. It's easy to use and no one knows what I'm doing. It covers up everything (including the side unlike other carriers) I just turn away while I latch her. If she gets upset and unlatched no one sees anything.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    So far I've been using nursing covers out in public, and just wear a nursing bra with a shirt I can pull up. My other combo I like is a nursing cami with a shirt over it. I'm using a nipple shield and it takes several tries to latch so the nursing cover works well right now. 

At home I just nurse with the cami in my favorite comfy chair... if my dad or FIL is uncomfortable its easier for them to move to another room than for me. After spending a good number of feedings bored in the nursery.. I just feed in the living room now. I'm so not dealing with a cover or extra clothes for coverage when at home. My dad just leaves the room, and I'll be finding out how my FIL will handle it!
    DS1 - 8-10-2015 LO2 - EDD 4-30-2017
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @visualcircus that is my problem!! But I'm living at my inlaws house so I feel like I can't just whip out my boob and say tough... When we move into our house in two weeks all bets are off I'm never leaving my living room
  • Options
    shaunnar053shaunnar053 member
    edited September 2015
    Are there any large chested mamas who have experience/tips for nursing in public?? I was a DDD before pregnancy and have only gone up since my milk has came in... I'd love to nurse in public (with coverage) but it seems nearly impossible with such a large chest :( .
  • Options
    melannpatemelannpate member
    edited September 2015
    Totally understand, @shaunnar053. I'm a 42G and have had difficulty. What I have found works for me is Baby Blinds nursing cover in plus size. It completely covers me all around and I am still able to help baby latch and keep an eye on him due to the innovative way it is made. It's hard to describe but there is a plastic piece that helps shield baby and breast but opens the top for you to look down. Can order from Amazon pretty cheap.

Edited for typo
  • Options

Totally understand, @shaunnar053. I'm a 42G and have had difficulty. What I have found works for me is Baby Blinds nursing cover in plus size. It completely covers me all around and I am still able to help baby latch and keep an eye on him due to the innovative way it is made. It's hard to describe but there is a plastic piece that helps shield baby and breast but opens the top for you to look down. Can order from Amazon pretty cheap.

Edited for typo

I'm ordering this! Lol thank you this looks perfect :D
  • Options
    I'm currently pumping in public ..either you stay home all the time or you opt to go out, but have to leave the social gathering and sit awkwardly in your car with a bottle on your boob for a while. Gahhh. Nice view tho
  • Options
    I got a cover online from target that is very lightweight and has a structured piece in the top seam so I can see DS while we get latched or re-latch. I use it at home when I have male family members over like dads or brothers so DS can get used to it since I'll use it when in public.
  • Options
    I live in my nursing tanks! I just wear them under all of my normal shirts instead of a bra and that way I can just pull my shirt up and unhook the tank and you really can't see anything once baby is latched! I use a cover when people are around because I'm not good at latching yet!
  • Options
    How do you all just wear nursing tanks? My nipples are like headlights. I need a bra and a tank just to hide them.... Or do I not have the right tanks? Suggestions welcomed
  • Options
    Saratiff said:

How do you all just wear nursing tanks? My nipples are like headlights. I need a bra and a tank just to hide them.... Or do I not have the right tanks? Suggestions welcomed

I wear pea in a pod nursing tanks which have a very thick liner in them. They are pricey but I have worn them everyday for over 2yrs (3 babies) and they have held up. Plus I bought them buy 3 get 1 free.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017