3rd Trimester

Signs of labor and when to go in

I've heard a lot of different things about labor. From it can take weeks, or it can take hours to dilate to 5 cm. I've heard you should go in when you get a gush of watery fluid, and I've heard it's normal to have those days before labor. I've also heard to go in if you see your mucus plug, but I've heard labor can start days after you lose it.

So basically,
I'm 38W6D and I was told today I was dilated to 1cm and baby was a - 2. I had a gush of watery fluid last night but was told it was normal at the doctor today. I just went to the bathroom and wiped and it was kind of mucusy like a booger and bloody. (Sorry for TMI) I haven't had any contractions since Tuesday, and they were pretty regular, but bareable. My doctor tells me if I get pain that's unbearable tonight I'll probably go into labor but i have mild cramping. So basically my question is, am I in labor? Or could I be having false symptoms, am I just anxious?
Please provide your thoughts and opinions. I'm a FTM. :)

Re: Signs of labor and when to go in

• brittneey said:

I've heard a lot of different things about labor. From it can take weeks, or it can take hours to dilate to 5 cm. I've heard you should go in when you get a gush of watery fluid, and I've heard it's normal to have those days before labor. I've also heard to go in if you see your mucus plug, but I've heard labor can start days after you lose it.

So basically,
    I'm 38W6D and I was told today I was dilated to 1cm and baby was a - 2. I had a gush of watery fluid last night but was told it was normal at the doctor today. I just went to the bathroom and wiped and it was kind of mucusy like a booger and bloody. (Sorry for TMI) I haven't had any contractions since Tuesday, and they were pretty regular, but bareable. My doctor tells me if I get pain that's unbearable tonight I'll probably go into labor but i have mild cramping. So basically my question is, am I in labor? Or could I be having false symptoms, am I just anxious?
    Please provide your thoughts and opinions. I'm a FTM. :)

You'll know when you're in labor! If your water breaks, it'll be a consistent leak. Lay down for 30 min and stand up, if you get another gush, go in and get checked out. Contractions should be consistent. They'll get closer together and more intense. I believe until they're 5-7 min apart, most hospitals won't admit you. Consistent contractions and/or a broken water is mainly what you're looking for. Everything you described doesn't sound like labor to me. Just signs that labor is near. But that could still mean anything from hours to weeks.
  • My plan is to go to the hospital when I am in active labor... I'm not worried about knowing when I get to that point. If you're not sure, it's probably too early.
  • Loading the player...
  • brittneeybrittneey member
    edited September 2015
    I technically don't know what a contraction is, but everyone says ill know when I feel them. I've been having period like cramps but that's all.
  • @cMichelle0423 Im due in a week and a half, so I was thinking maybe it's just a warning. I do remember the last time I was pregnant the pain was so horrible I cried, so that's what I'm expecting this time. I'm just so anxious and I'd rather be safe than sorry, but I don't wanna go in just to be told everything is normal.
  • edited September 2015
    Sounds like prelabor to me. Go in when you have painful contractions that are 5-7 min apart. It wouldn't hurt to call and notify your doctor that you possibly lost your mucus plug.
    ETA - any time you see red blood, you should notify your doctor.
    Me: 28, DH: 40
    Married 9/28/13
    DS born 11/12/15
    EDD 8/13/18
  • *** lurker lurking****

I went in when I was afraid that if I waited longer I wouldn't be able to walk anymore.  Contractions (yes, you'll know) were about five minutes apart.  If you can't talk through one, that's a contraction.

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • My mother is an L&D nurse, & she recommends going in once the contractions take your breath away/stop you mid-sentence. Also, different hospitals have different recommendations, too, so it never hurts to call if you're unsure. My OB asked that I come in once I'm having painful contractions that are 5 minutes apart for at least an hour.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • mandy903mandy903 member
    edited September 2015
    Since you had a pelvic exam today that explains it. .. That usually causes some spotting and cramping. .. It's normal for heavier discharge this late in the game. If you gushed fluid yesterday and saw your Dr today and they confirmed it wasn't amniotic fluid it was probably pee. Labor is different for everyone but when it's active labor it hurts. A lot and is unmistakable. Most doctors go by the 5-1-1 rule for FTM. If you are ever really worried call your l&d or Dr and they will help you decide if you should be seen.
  • Thanks for all the opinions ladies! I appreciate it. I'll probably just wait til I feel unbearable pain. The contractions are pretty irregular like 15 mins apart.