January 2016 Moms
Options

Good and bad news-Choroid Plexus?

At 17 weeks I had spotting and found out I had a marginal sinus bleed on a low lying placenta. Today, at 21 weeks, we had a follow up and my placenta has moved to 4cm! Also, there is no more sign of any tear! I am so relieved at this great news :)

We did have another abnormality though. Apparently our sweet girl has a choroid plexus cyst on her brain. I was referred to a perinatologist and had a blood test for genetic disorders. Apparently the biggest risk factor is she could have Trisonomy 18 or Down Syndrome. My Dr. hasn't seen any other triggers on her a/s and I have no high risk factors, so he says it's an extremely low chance of it being a chromosomal abnormality. He says most of the time they are benign and it should go away by my next US in 4 weeks. Still a bit worrisome. My first pregnancy was as easy as can be and this one we are having little scares. But, I am happy that she has a strong little heart and is measuring great on everything else.

Has anyone here dealt with choroid plexus cysts? Would like to know what to expect for our appt with the perinatologist, and how much I should google and worry. Thanks!

Re: Good and bad news-Choroid Plexus?

• Options
    I went through this. Two on baby boy's brain at 17 weeks. No other risk factors and first trimester screening was normal. I had the second trimester quad screen and the fetal DNA. All came back normal and by 21 weeks the cysts were gone. With no other risk factors plenty of doctors don't even bother ordering additional tests. Way more ikely than not your LO is fine and they will resolve. 
  • Options
    Baby girl had one at 20 weeks. Based on all of our prior NT testing and the fact that there are no other issues, doc says she is fine and we will check at 32 weeks to make sure it is gone, but there is nothing to worry about. I actually did Google, and it made me worry less. I know that my doc would tell me if there was anything else going on, so based on her and all I found when I looked it up, I think this girl is perfectly fine.

I am sure your little one is perfect!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had the same thing on my 20 week sono. My doctor sent me to the high risk doctor in the same practice. I spent all weekend freaking out but for once Dr Google actually made me feel better! The high risk doctor told me everything should be fine. He said that it is fairly common and that if it was trisomy 18 there would mostly be other signs. It's all very scary but chances are it will be ok!

Take a couple of deep breaths! And Good luck with everything!
  • Options
    No experience, but thoughts and prayers your way!
  • Options
    My first had a cyst on his brain at the anatomy scan. You'd be suprised how common it is. They almost always go away on there own. My dr. had no concerns. He was born totally heathy :) Hope this helps ease your mind.
  • Options
    Our daughter has one. With no other markers for trisomy 18, we aren't concerned. They are incredibly common, and almost always resolve themselves before birth.
  • Options
    Our dr told us this is super common
    And mostly harmless. Out baby had one detected at the 12 weeks U/S and by our 20 weeks ultrasound it was gone!
  • Options
    Baby boy has one in right ventricle, to which I yelled out in the docs office "the brain ventricle?!". He proceeded to tell me not to worry and my genetic testing is fine and really it will resolve. Some research on a radiology blog I follow days it's totally normal, more worrisome if there is multiples and bilaterally. Thanks for your post. I was worried too. Hugs. Should be fine.
  • Options
    Thank you ladies for your kind words and encouragement! After reading these and searching google I really don't feel as concerned anymore. Hubby is a different story. He won't believe it til she comes out and looks fine, but I'm sure he'll ease up as we progress and when it (hopefully) goes away!