August 2015 Moms
Options

How often?

How often in the day are you holding and playing with your baby? When he's content just sitting in his swing, I take advantage of that and do stuff I need to do. But then I wonder if he's getting bored and needs more interaction with me. I almost feel guilty if I'm not playing with him or just holding him. Am I just crazy?

Re: How often?

• Options
    I'm with you. If he's content and quiet, I just let him be. If he's bored or needs something, he will let me know. I'd never get anything done if I didn't.

• Options
    That's what I think. I just feel bad that he's just sitting there by himself sometimes
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I start feeling bad too! So if she's happy I'll spend some time entertaining her but I'll also put her in the RnP and talk to her while I'm doing stuff in the kitchen etc... This is just as stimulating as anything else. She likes to watch me.
  • Options
    Its funny cause I feel like that with this baby a lot because she is so content. My first I never had that problem because she was screaming all the time. I discussed it with my sister who has 4 kids all with very different temperaments and her advice was to not ruin a good thing. :) I play with her as much as I can but with a 2 year old needing attention also, my little baby gets a fair amount of time to just chill and check out the sights :P I think I feel worse cause this one puts herself to sleep at night. I'll bathe her, nurse her, rock her and lay her down and sometimes she just sits there looking around for a good 15-20 min in the dark before falling asleep. I'm not about to mess with that though as that is usually when I'm getting her big sister to sleep. Just very disconcerting to me that my 7 week old is sitting alone in the dark contentedly for so long... Again, not something we ever worried about with my first. She was usually 2+ solid hours of screaming before passing out only to wake up an hour later to eat and scream some more. Its crazy how different babies can be.
  • Options

Its funny cause I feel like that with this baby a lot because she is so content. My first I never had that problem because she was screaming all the time. I discussed it with my sister who has 4 kids all with very different temperaments and her advice was to not ruin a good thing. :) I play with her as much as I can but with a 2 year old needing attention also, my little baby gets a fair amount of time to just chill and check out the sights :P I think I feel worse cause this one puts herself to sleep at night. I'll bathe her, nurse her, rock her and lay her down and sometimes she just sits there looking around for a good 15-20 min in the dark before falling asleep. I'm not about to mess with that though as that is usually when I'm getting her big sister to sleep. Just very disconcerting to me that my 7 week old is sitting alone in the dark contentedly for so long... Again, not something we ever worried about with my first. She was usually 2+ solid hours of screaming before passing out only to wake up an hour later to eat and scream some more. Its crazy how different babies can be.

This is my life most nights. Not complaining that I have a fairly content baby but he just sits there looking so bored! Lol
  • Options
    I'm holding him all day either in my lap, arms, or in al my ring sling/wraps. The only time I put him down is when I have to use the bathroom... I'm kind of a crazy FTM though. No shame.
  • Options
    My first was content a lot on her own, my second and third (boys) not so much, so I am holding him a lot of the day. BUT I will leave him alone for as long as he'll let me! (which is usually a maximum of 10 minutes unless he's asleep right now)

I don't think a baby can become "bored", so if they are content, just leave them be - and hope that it translates to them having the ability to play on their own as toddlers and little kids! 
  • Options
    She's completely content not to be held, she's a very chill baby, but I hold her most of the day because I don't want to put her down. I have to go back to work in a few weeks and I'm going to soak up holding her as much as I can now. The good thing is if I do need to put her down she's fine. She sleeps anywhere, in her bassinet, crib, swing or our arms. I read an article that talked about an easy baby like this and called it the "trick" baby. So my husband and I lovingly refer to her as our trick baby.