January 2016 Moms

Why do doctors have to scare us?

23 +3 today. Had to go back to specialty hospital for another scan for them to perform a fetal echo. Everything (at least what they see) got the A-ok! But darn it, they kept saying uh oh, this baby is breech! Now both my husband & I are freaking out about a breech baby. I feel better now that I've read a lot & it seems like baby has plenty of time to turn, but WHY did they have to kinda scare the heck of out me with that? I'm seeing my regular OB tmrw, but man as a FTM, I don't want to hear alarmist information lol. Ignorance can be bliss. I'm not dumb, I'm in the medical field, but come on. Lol. Anyone else get told their baby is Breech this early? Ok, thanks for letting me vent.

Re: Why do doctors have to scare us?

• No experience with a breech baby, but I can definitely say as a FTM I totally agree with you on the doctors scaring the crap out of you for what seems like something that is common or can be perfectly normal. I'm going thru a little of that with extra precautions and monitoring for a dynamic cervix and funneling. I'm a ER nurse so I know they are just doing their job, but this is not my territory at ALL and can add stress to an already scary situation! Good luck to you!!
  • Loading the player...
  • My niece was breach at 32 weeks and flipped in time. Absolutely no need to worry you now!
  • DS1 was frank breech at anatomy scan, remained breech at follow up scan & turned at 33/34 weeks. My OB was planning an external version under epidural in the OR (in case of emergency) if he hadn't turned himself. DS2 was frank breech at anatomy scan so we'll repeat scan later on to check in his position. Again, I'll opt for the ECV if he doesn't turn himself. Really, try not to stress there's plenty of time for turning! I think I remember being told that something like 12% of babies are still breech at 28 weeks.
  • Omg, thank you to all of you. I love this support group!! Just hearing from other mothers' experiences and such really does put the mind at ease.
  • They really should never say uh-oh, that's horrible! It is a billion percent normal (like that "statistic"? lol) for baby to be ANY position at this stage! There's still room for them to flip around and upside down and back and forth, and still PLENTY of time for them to get where they need to be. I wouldn't even THINK about position until third trimester earliest :)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • My son was breech until 30 weeks or so.
  • I understand that it's not an awesome feeling hearing that something might not be normal but they are doing their job. Personally, I would rather know all of the information that they know; even if it's something that might be stressful for me. Also, hearing them say observations out loud (good or bad) means that they are actually paying attention to what they're doing - and that's reassuring to me.
  • My baby was breech at the A/S. The tech said that is very normal at this point. I'm with you on the FTM thing, though. I feel like I freak over any little thing, when I'm usually a very laid back, go-with-the-flow type of person.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Babies can flip the day you deliver. There's no reason to feel concerned about a breech baby at 23 weeks.
  • When I had my AS, I saw the tech type "breech" on one of the pictures. No one said a word to me, you know why? Because at 20 weeks it's hardly a big deal. At all.
  • Unless you have a uterine anomaly having a breech baby at this point is perfectly fine. They can continue to turn into the correct position right up to birth. I have a complete septum and my babies generally get stuck in their position by 26-27 weeks. If you are still concerned later in your pregnancy you could look into spinning babies.
  • This scares me a little.
    I am only "allowed" two u/s during my pregnancy at my drs office.
    I had one at 11wks ( normally it's 7/8 weeks but I changed doctors at this time)
    My second was at 18 weeks made sure all his parts were there.
    That's it...
    Except in the 18 week scan he was in a weird position and couldn't see the bottom of his spine. I go for a "lower extremity" us oct 6... That's all... What if he is breech and I don't know about it -scared face-
  • kodariahkodariah member
    edited September 2015
    I don't think the Dr was trying to scare you... I was told my baby was breech at our 20 week a/s but our baby's equilibriums aren't developed until about 26 weeks so they don't know how to be in the right position yet. :) they move so much my Dr says you don't have to worry unless your sitting breech in labor. I think the Dr was just pointing out an observation not knowing you didnt know it was normal. Also a FTM and soI ask so many questions during my appointments. next time if something scares you just ask, they would rather have you ask a million questions then not understand what they are saying...
  • @carlyhammond are you being sarcastic?
  • @carlyhammond my healthcare provider only has an anatomy scan, no other ultrasounds, so it's normal to only have one or two. Extras are either out of medical necessity (which you really don't want to qualify for), or ones you go to for fun for 3d or 4d photos or whatever. I did have to have a dating scan at 8 weeks because I got pregnant after a miscarriage, but otherwise my AS would have been my only US
  • My DD was breech up until a couple weeks before delivery but was able to turn in time. This little one is also currently breech. You are correct that they have time to turn on their own, there are also positions you can put your body to try and promote turning. Also, some chiropractors can assist with turning babies, so try to not worry yet! There is plenty of time and things you can try before you get to the end.

• I feel so much better after hearing lots of positive things here! Now, looking back it seemed silly, BUT, just being able to vent out worries & concerns here helps a million!! :-)
  • @ccoleeman no, I am a FTM and that was a legitimate concern of mine.
  • I ask because there are some women here who are pretty sensitive to those who complain about only being allowed 2 ultrasounds. Many of us have miscarriage histories or are high risk or face multiple complications, and wish we were in a position where the our doctors didn't need us to come in for multiple ultrasounds and check ups, praying during each one that everything will be ok.

I do understand that the nerves build up between visits and it's comforting to see the baby and know everything is ok. Especially as a FTM, there can be lots of questions running through your head and wondering if no news is good news. But just relax and know that unless your doctor tells you otherwise, you don't have to worry and enjoy the gaps between visits.
  • ntyravgsp said:

Just want to say, if your baby is breech at the end and they wind up scheduling you for a c/s, it's not the end of the world either. No, it isn't really anyone's ideal birth scenario and yes, recovery is a b**** and a half, but it will be okay. You will be okay, your baby will be okay. I say this as a BTDT c/s survivor. Just chill - you have lots of time before you need to worry about it.

Amen sista! I felt like my second section was my easiest recovery, way easier than my vag deliveries. I'm actually looking forward to my rsc.

Regardless, we will all have babies coming out of us one way or another. We've got plenty of time. Go have some chocolate and relax!