Infertility

Intro and IUI question

Hello Ladies! I first wanted to introduce myself. DH and I have been TTC for 9 months now, and due to a chronic medical condition and well timed sex, OB referred us to a RE. Previous to this referral I had an HSG done- normal, day 3 bloodwork- normal and DH had seman analysis- normal. I saw the RE for the first time last Friday and diagnosis, not too surprisingly is unexplained fertility. Since last Friday I've had bloodwork, transvaginal ultrasounds as well as a post coital test. 

Now comes my question. I had bloodwork done on Tuesday 9/22 and it showed that I would ovulate the next couple of days so RE scheduled my first IUI for Thursday 9/24. I was using Clear Blue Digital OPK and got my peak result on Wednesday 9/23 so I thought the timing was perfect. I woke up this morning expecting a temp spike since I thought I ovulated yesterday, and alas no temp spike. Is an IUI still effective if you do not ovulate the day of the IUI? I am thinking that I will probably ovulate today- DH had sex last night in addition to the IUI yesterday morning and we plan to do it again tonight. Please note this was not a medicated cycle, so no trigger shot.

Thanks!!
Me 32 DH 34
Married 9/2012 

TTC #2 starting 9/2019
BFP 7/13/2020!
Due 3/18/2021

TTC #1 since 2/2015
Diagnosis: Unexplained Infertility 9/2015
IUIs #1-#5: 9/2015-2/2016 all BFNs
Moving to IVF with ICSI and PGS 5/2016-6/2016  Just kidding, BFP 4/4/2016!
Spencer Elliott born 12/7/2016

Re: Intro and IUI question

• Hi @erica0901 - I'm also new at the IUI but when I went in for my IUI, I had also peaked the night before.  When the RE did an ultrasound, he saw that I was in the process of ovulating (seeing the follicle looking cloudy due to it having burst).  Before he even did the ultrasound, he reassured me that the percentages of success were all very close when doing the IUI right before / right after ovulation so he was not concerned.  I don't know if that reassures you, but did your RE explain where your body was in the process when he did the ultrasound?  Could you still see the follicles?  
  • Hi @piperella thanks for your response! Yes, I had the ultrasound done right before the IUI and the nurse explained that the follicle looked kinda wavy around the edges which meant that the egg was about to be released. I guess I am just concerned that since my temp hasn't spiked yet it means the egg has not been released.
    Me 32 DH 34
    Married 9/2012 

TTC #2 starting 9/2019
    BFP 7/13/2020!
    Due 3/18/2021

TTC #1 since 2/2015

• Loading the player...
  • Some doctors try to do the IUI 24-36 hours before you ovulate, because that mirrors more the way that pregnancy often happens naturally.  Also, your temp may not spike immediately after ovulation, but may spike a day or two later.

So there's no way to know right now if the timing was right, but it sounds pretty good.  All you can do now is wait.  And keep in mind that IUI might very well be the thing that gets you pregnant, but it might take a few tries.
    Me- 39 (turning 40 in April), TTC for the first time ever (since Jan 2015), low ovarian reserve
    Married 3/14/14 to my wonderful wife, but her sperm count is rather low
    TTC with frozen donor sperm and science

7 IUIs, 7 BFNs.
    2 IVF attempts, both cancelled and converted to IUI, both BFNs.
    Decided that my tired old ovaries are ready to retire.
    Next step- reciprocal IVF, using my wife's eggs, my uterus!  
    fresh 5 day transfer (2 embryos) 4/17/17- BFP! 
    Identical twins "due" 1/2/17 (but anticipated arrival sometime December)

• Thanks for your response @KLake42 !
    Me 32 DH 34
    Married 9/2012 

TTC #2 starting 9/2019
    BFP 7/13/2020!
    Due 3/18/2021

TTC #1 since 2/2015

• @erica0901 my OPK test showed a peak result on 9/24 and my RE said to do BD Thursday night and Friday night.  I usually do IUI and medication, but not this month.  If it was medicated, I would have done my trigger shot yesterday and IUI Friday and Saturday.  I would say yours is very normal.  When I told RE I got a peak symbol on OPK test yesterday, he said I was surging and should be ovulating today.  Keep in mind, the semen survives for a few days.  You should be fine.

Married: 8/29/2009
    TTC- since we got married (off and on)
    TTC with focus: Since July 2015
    Currently had 2 rounds of failed IUIs, failed TI monitored cycle
    December 2015: Starting 1st IVF cycle
    January 2016: Retrieval
    March 2016: Pending Transfer (I have 3 PGS tested embryos waiting for a womb)
    April 2016: BFP, the old fashioned way.

• @erica0901 I was in the same boat last weekend.  Had 2 mature follicles and 1 almost mature. RE wanted to wait an extra day to let a smaller follicle grow and I worried he may of waited to long.  The nurse assured me that it would be fine since the test came back negative on Saturday.
  • Timing is everything! But it's also not easy to not freak out if timing was missed. Another unsuccessful month feels like an eternity.
  • @erica0901 looks like you have a lot of great answers... But I'm wonder about your post coidal test? I'm sure I miss spelled that. I asked my RE to do one because I think I have some type of PH imbalance and he doesn't do them he said a... So how did yours go? Did you find anything out from it?
  • @Msbender129 For the post coital test, you BD the night before and then the next morning they take some of your mucus to make sure the sperm are where they are supposed to go and also to check to make sure your mucus isn't attacking/killing the sperm. It was actually pretty cool because I was able to see the sperm moving around under the microscope! So my test came back normal :)
    Me 32 DH 34
    Married 9/2012 

TTC #2 starting 9/2019
    BFP 7/13/2020!
    Due 3/18/2021

TTC #1 since 2/2015

• @erica0901 that is really cool! It would be neat to see... I think I have something going on with my PH- that's why I asked to have it done... My dr explained why he doesn't do them so we just moved right to IUI ... So who know if that really my problem but it feels good to think I have a "reason" why it's not happening! Lol
    Thanks for your response glad yours was normal and you can keep checking good news off your list of potential issues! Good luck with this go around! :D
  • @Msbender129 May I ask why your doctor said he doesn't do them? My doctor did 2 on me: one in a natural cycle and one while I was on Clomid. Both came back top notch, so we know an IUI really won't do much for me. Does he just do IUI no matter what, so he sees no point in at as you would be bypassing any problem, or is there a different reason? I'm really curious to know as, depending on the reason, it may affect our strategy going forward to make us ask for IUI. We are likely only doing one more round of injects before moving on to IVF, so this one I really way to do everything right!
    Married to DH 10/6/12
    TTC since 5/14
    Unexplained with (controlled) hypothyroidism and suspected ovulatory dysfunction (but, I do ovulate on my own)
    Clomid 50 mg 3/15 (unmonitored) - BFN
    Clomid 50 mg + metformin 4/15 (unmonitored) - BFN 
    First RE appt. 5/15; Natural cycle 5/15 monitored with 2 mature follicles and Pregnyl Trigger (full dose) + prometrium - BFN
    6/15 HSG - clear tubes & normal uterus; great PCT test results
    TI - 100 mg Clomid + prometrium (AM & PM) + vaginal estrace (AM & PM) 6-7/15 (monitored) --> no additional response and thinned lining - BFN
    TI - Injectables (follistim + Gonal-F, Ganirelix, & 1/2 dose Pregnyl) + prometrium (AM & PM) 9/15 --> 3-7 mature follicles (3 definites and 4+ that could have matured due to trigger) @ O -->BFN + 5 large cysts
    BC for 2 weeks due to cysts
    TI - Injectables (Gonal-F, Ganirelix & full dose Pregnyl) + prometrium (AM & PM) 10/15 --> 1 mature follicle --> BFN 
    TI - Last attempt at injectables (Gonal-F, Ganirelix & 1/2 dose Pregnyl) + crinone (AM only) + vaginal estrace (AM & PM) 11/15 --> 3-4 mature follicles --> BFP!! 11/27/15 @ 13dpo (shockingly, actually waited until then to test)

Beta #1 @ 16dpo (11/30/15) = 1,075
    Beta #2 @ 19dpo (12/3/15) = 3,150
    One baby: Saw heartbeat @ 5w5d (114 bpm; baby measuring 2.3mm)

"Great Things are Happening"
  • @Msbender129 Thanks! GL to you as well!! 
    Me 32 DH 34
    Married 9/2012 

TTC #2 starting 9/2019
    BFP 7/13/2020!
    Due 3/18/2021

TTC #1 since 2/2015

• @riveridgional Hi! Ya know to tell you the truth he didn't give me a straight reason why he doesn't do them... He basically said with today's medicine and all the options out there "he or they (his partners in the group)" don't seem to find them very helpful. He said if they suspect a problem they move straight to IUI. And if there isn't a definite issue IUI for sure won't hurt anything and it just gives you that boost of a better chance and an increased chance for pregnancy.
    When I first met with him I was that crazy patient that came in with a file folder with ALL my info and a list of questions for him and if then questions... It was bad- I'll admit! But I actually asked him about doing one- I had done my research at home and went to him with the info...

Sorry my response was so long... And no too helpful but that's what he told me so we had our first IUI actually this morning.. So our fingers are crossed- I'm almost positive I have something going on with my PH hints why I'm not getting pregnant- who know... - but hey it feels good to think I have a reason why its not happening... Have a good night!