Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Darkness

Help! DS is 1 week old and won't sleep at night. He sleeps great during the day. He'll put himself to sleep with no fuss. Then at night, he wakes up the second I put him down. I was thinking it's day/night reversal but he IS tired. He just can't seem to fall asleep. I was thinking maybe he hates the dark? Everything else we do is the same as day time. Any ideas?

Re: Darkness

• Options

I'm sorry but he's doing this because HE'S A WEEK OLD! Babies don't like to sleep at night and most likely he does have his days/nights mixed up. This is totally normal. If he's sleeping all day he's not going to sleep at night.

Newborns come home from the hospital and sleep like 23 hours a day and then suddenly, BAM, sleep starts to suck. You need to keep the house bright and noisy during the day and dark and quiet at night. He will eventually figure it out.

At night do you use a swaddle? White noise? You should have somewhat of a sleepy time routine down or something you do like breastfeeding or bottle feeding to get him sleepy, then swaddle and put down for bed. It's common for young babies to be up for an hour at a time in the middle of the night though. I watched a LOT of TV in those first couple months with both of my kids while they were up at night.

Sleep is tough for the first 4 months or so. You should read up on what's normal for a baby that age.

• Options
    Yup, days/nights mixed up. Like PP said, keep it bright and noisy during the day and dark/quiet at night. Took my LO about 2 to 3 weeks to fully get turned around. Having the same routine helped greatly. I also sing the same songs etc before putting her down.