March 2015 Moms

Sophie the Giraffe teether

So... Is this teether worth it or is it a waste of money? My baby is teething and needs relief and I read on the bump Sophie is a great teether. I'm just wondering how if any momma's out there have used or are using this teether and if it helped?

Re: Sophie the Giraffe teether

• We have it, DS doesn't care for it. We use it as a bath toy right now. 
  • My LO cut those first teeth completely unaware that teethers were meant to help. She just sort of ignored them all. Chewed on her sleeves instead. Maybe Sophie would be nice for the molars and later teeth when infants are more able to manipulate things, but for right now I would just save my money.
  • Loading the player...
  • My LO loves Sophie!  He's been gnawing on her since he first began the oral fixation phase.  He loves her so much that he's developed a fascination with all things Giraffe.  And she has her own books, which he loves as well.  For me, it was absolutely worth the money!  
  • That's why I'm debating it. He loves giraffes already.. And he will chew on anything. I just don't know if I can justify spending that much on a teether... Hmmm
  • Ours loves her too. Some of her friends are a little cheaper - we have the monkey too. He really likes gnawing on that material.
  • Sophie's hooves are the perfect size (finger size). My LO also likes her snout and horns too. Also nice that it is non-toxic rubber (France has really high quality standards). All of our nephews have lived for Sophie while teething... I'm sure there are others but this is tried and true.
  • My daughter loves her Sophie. We have a large, standard Sophie, a small, ring-like Sophie, a tiny keyring Sophie and also a frozen tether Sophie that goes in the freezer. That way we never lose one, and since it's coming to summer here, the cold frozen one really comes in handy! Expensive but totally worth it in my opinion. Also, they're easily wiped clean.
  • My daughter absolutely loves Sophie too. We have the large one and two of the smaller ones so I can keep one in the diaper bag for when we are out. I have some cheaper teething toys and she will chew them for maybe 5 minutes, but she will gnaw on Sophie for hours.
  • SMac2013 said:
    So... Is this teether worth it or is it a waste of money? My baby is teething and needs relief and I read on the bump Sophie is a great teether. I'm just wondering how if any momma's out there have used or are using this teether and if it helped?
    We're fans of Sophie but if you're hesitating because of the price there are other great teethers out there more in the $5-10 range. The baby banana is a good example.

https://www.amazon.com/Baby-Banana-Bendable-Training-Toothbrush/dp/B002QYW8LW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1442946076&sr=8-1&keywords=Baby+banana
  • My son cried yesterday because I told him his Sophie fell apart and I threw it away. He's 4. Lol. He loved it.
    The only thing my daughter likes to chew on is a bulb syringe (gross). If I found a Sophie on super sale I would probably get it, but I'm not dying to spend $20+ on something she only might like.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • If you plan on having more kids, divide the cost amongst them, then $20 doesn't seem so bad. For example, we got my first born all the expensive strollers, high chairs, and carriers we needed. We are currently reusing all these items for our second child. Our $150 high chair comes out to $75 per kid :D
  • Well, I gave in and got Sophie. So far he had been chewing the head like crazy so good decision.. Plus it is cute. The dog is just a little confused as to why he can't chew on the squeaky toy...
  • I had a Sophie when I was a baby and I actually found one at an antique store. I have no idea if it's a new one or "vintage" but my kids loves it. I sterilized it and checked it over to make sure it was structurally sound and we are all good. They also have a cheaper option that is a pink elephant and a cute little cow, we have both of those too but babes really likes the Sophie the best.
  • My LO loves Sophie! Introduced Sophie to him when he was around 2 months and ever since then they have this bond! Had to take her on holiday with us too!
  • Try soothimals. Same idea but cheaper. Also the legs are shorter and I've heard about babies sticking Sophie's legs too far down their throat. https://www.amazon.com/Bright-Starts-Soothimals-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B00FNJ7D6M I found cheap soothimals at Tjmaxx.
  • My baby loooves it! The price is ridiculous and I originally scoffed at the idea of spending that kind of money on what looks like a dog toy. However, I bought it out of desperation one day when Stella was screaming from teething pain and I'm glad that I did. It's her "go to" toy.
  • My DD loves her Sophie, she has the large standard size one, and the small ring-Sophie. I take her with us everywhere, but my dog thinks it's HER toy b/c it squeaks lol but I kinda showed my DD how to "chew" on it, so now she gets it. But I didn't buy either one, thank god, they were gifts. I got another one from a family member and gave it to my best friend who just found out she's expecting next April. But I'd say it's worth it!
  • We have it, DS doesn't care for it. We use it as a bath toy right now. 
    Haha! We have one that DH's Aunt insisted she get it for the baby.  She is VERY sensitive to all gifts given so we break it out for photos and when she comes to town but DD is indifferent to it.  She loves her Wubanub Monkey Pacifier too much to be bothered with another chew toy!  

• DS loves his Wubanub too, We have the Clifford looking one (red dog). He just chews the feet and ears and tail mostly. He's not really into using pacifiers for their intended use.
  • DS loves his Wubanub too, We have the Clifford looking one (red dog). He just chews the feet and ears and tail mostly. He's not really into using pacifiers for their intended use.
    Same! We usually find DD with Monkey's tail in her mouth!  
  • Our little guy loves it, chews on the ears like a mad man.

Me: 29 DH: 35

Married: 9/29/12

DS #1: 3/8/15