3rd Trimester
Options

Deleted post due to several rude comments

ldevierldevier member
edited September 2015 in 3rd Trimester
Thanks for those who were helpful.

Re: Deleted post due to several rude comments

• Options
    Babies do better on the outside past the 42 week mark.
  • Options
    I would go ahead and make the appointment for the induction for the 42 week mark. If you go beforehand great, if not, babies are much better being outside at that point
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I asked to be induced with my second and third baby. But I was already days over due with both babies and it had to due with size (big babies). My ob said she would not induce any patients unless medically necessary or after 41 weeks. I also suggest scheduling the inducement between 41 and 42 weeks so baby has plenty of time to come on his/her own.
  • Options
    urby87urby87 member
    edited September 2015
    If I haven't gone yet at 40w, I've been told they will probably want to schedule an induction at that appointment.  I don't want to be induced, but if that's what my doctor thinks will be best for my baby, I'll do it.  There are risks that can come with going too far over, and it's a very delicate balance once you hit your due date as to how much longer they can stay in there without it becoming a hazard.

ETA my sister and I both decided we were done on the dates of our scheduled inductions (42w) and ended up coming naturally, so you may not necessarily need induction even if you do schedule one.
  • Options
    You can refuse to be induced unless medically necessary.
  • Options
    The risks of fetal distress greatly increase after 42 weeks, possibly due to placental deterioration. My daughter was born on the day that would have been her scheduled induction, at 41w3d, and I would not have been comfortable going any longer for her safety, honestly.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Since you are 40 weeks, I would listen to your doctor and schedule an induction for sometime in the next week, week and a half. I knew a lady who also did not want to be induced, and refused despite her OB urging her to do so. She went passed 42 weeks, and ended up having a still birth which the doctor believes was due to deterioration of the placenta.  
  • Options
    Please listen to your doctor. MAS is also more common with overdue babies, and it can cause serious problems.

• Options
    These are medical professionals. They wouldn't suggest induction if they didn't have a reason.
  • Options
    I just scheduled my induction for this Sunday il be 41+5. Do I wanna be induced? No not at all, it was actually on my birth plan that I didn't want pitocin at all. Will I do what is best for my baby to make sure she is healthy and okay?? In a heartbeat even if it means more pain or anxiety for me. I still have the chance to go naturally! And if I don't then I can be reassured I'm doing what's best for her!
  • Options
    No one can force you into any medical decisions.  I too would not be comfortable scheduling an induction simply because of protocol.  There is plenty of research on both sides of the issue, and there is no consistency at all among OBGYN's as to what point the pregnancy becomes riskier.  Some want to induce at 40 weeks, some want to induce at 42 weeks, some don't want to induce unless an issue arises.

I've found that a good way to work with the doctor is to ask more questions about ways you can monitor for these risk factors.  Often they can do ultrasounds or other tests to ensure the pregnancy is still progressing at a healthy pace.  That way you can get more individualized care for your pregnancy, and if something comes up that is indeed one of the risk factors that other ladies have mentioned here, you will feel much more comfortable agreeing to the induction.
  • Options
    There are natural ways to induce, ask the Dr about that route or look online. A few ways my Dr told me was, walk, drink extra water, sex(he has to cum in you, its in the sperm) lol and spicy food.
  • Options
    I would not think about inducing until much closer to 42 and only if it's medically necessary. Going in for stress tests past 40 weeks is normal and it's not "selfish" to want to go into labor naturally.. It's letting baby tell you when he/she is ready, not you or a doctor. IMO it's more "selfish" to induce for non-medical reasons or to fit your own personal timeline because you're uncomfortable. Just remember you're in charge of your baby, no one else, make informed decisions and discuss why your doctor thinks this is medically necessary.
  • Options
    ldevierldevier member
    edited September 2015
  • Options
    Wow. Again. Why is it hard to be supportive to other moms? Calling me selfish and telling to schedule my damn induction are neither helpful nor constructive. Whether or not I am "cool" to you really doesn't matter much to me. These forums shouldn't attack people for asking questions. And it wasn't that I was asking for what I wanted to hear. I was more asking for experiences with individuals own inductions. But thank you for putting me in my place once again.
  • Options
    Anything over 42 weeks becomes dangerous. Adverse fetal outcomes rise significantly after point. Period.

No one can force you to do anything you don't want to do, it's your body. Just ensure that you are fully informed of the risks you are taking by going past 42 weeks. If you are comfortable taking those risks then again, it is entirely up to you. I think it's unrealistic to expect people are going to only tell you things that enforce your stance, the majority of women on here are going to give their honest opinion, and yes you won't like them all. That doesn't mean it isn't helpful information. And frankly your medical professionals are the ones with the knowledge, background and research references to provide you with the most current literature on these topics. You can choose not to believe them.
    BabyFetus Ticker

DD May 2005 MC Nov. 2012
    MC Aug. 2014
    Chemical Feb. 2015
  • Options
    Meh. I thought the "damn induction" comment was a bit over the top. Not surprised OP pushed back on that. But there was some really good information in the responses -- and the anecdote about the stillbirth gave me the chills.
  • Options

Meh. I thought the "damn induction" comment was a bit over the top. Not surprised OP pushed back on that. But there was some really good information in the responses -- and the anecdote about the stillbirth gave me the chills.

The use of the word 'anecdote' with reference to a stillbirth story seems more inappropriate to me.
  • Options
    mollypuss1mollypuss1 member
    edited October 2015

The use of the word 'anecdote' with reference to a stillbirth story seems more inappropriate to me.
    Why is it innapropriate? Because there is a possibility? That it is a reality that it happens to moms and dads? Sorry if that reality is "innapropriate" in your mind.
    No

Because the word anecdote generally refers to an amusing or witty story and I find still birth to be neither of them.

Oh And I have mentioned in another thread a reference to my friend's stillbirth so I am well aware of how much of a reality it is but thankyou for your judgement.
  • Options
    True. Anecdote probably isn't the best word to use as the story wasn't meant to be amusing.

anecdote |ˈanikˌdōt|
    noun
    a short and amusing or interesting story about a real incident or person: told anecdotes about his job | he had a rich store of anecdotes.

Jamie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I think @mollypuss1 was probably not liking the word "anecdote". Maybe it sounded like the word choice was minimizing the experience of loss? I didn't intend to do that -- literally meant the word to mean "personal story".
  • Options
    Sorry for cross posts. Not sure why the previous posts didn't show for me, since The Bump indicates they were posted a couple of hours before.

Anyways, i am sorry for my poor word choice there.