January 2016 Moms

Unpasteurized raw organic juice

I drink some unpasteurized raw organic juice today and it made me extremely sick. I was having diarrhea and throwing up. I'm concerned about the baby now. Should I be extremely concerned or call my doctor in the morning?

Re: Unpasteurized raw organic juice

• If you're not bleeding or cramping I don't think it necessitates a call to your doctor.
  • Where from? We are generally able to handle small amounts of bacteria on fruits and vegetables unless foreign to us. Perhaps in pregnancy though, since our immune systems are slightly depleted, this caused the issue. Was it just fresh squeezed? What were the ingredients?
    The baby will be just fine. So long as you can keep hydrated and well. It wouldn't be a bad idea to inform your Dr or midwife, but I imagine the issue lies in your digestive tract (intestines and stomach only) and is nowhere near your baby. It's more important that you keep fluids down and can start eating again.
  • Loading the player...
  • It could also be the amount you drank. We have an apple orchard nearby that does cider pressings every year and if you drink too much of the very fresh cider you are more than likely going to have "stomach issues", much in the same way that giving a toddler too much straight juice will give them stomach issues. Unless this continues or you develop more symptoms, cramping, bleeding, yada yada, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Drink some water and rest.
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• edited September 2015
    I would call the doctor.  It probably isn't anything big, but your immune system is compromised while pregnant so food poisoning can be worse than when you aren't pregnant. There are also some bacteria like listeria that can harm the baby (but wouldn't necessarily cause miscarriage signs), particularly in unpasteurized foods--though its usually more common in dairy and meat.  That's super rare and I wouldn't be worried about it but if you're "extremely sick" at any point during pregnancy it's certainly worth a simple phone call to get  medical advice from your actual doctor.  
  • willashbabywillashbaby member
    edited September 2015
    Stay away from unpasteurized at this point. I normally make my own but have stopped due to the risk.