Baby Names

Lucy, Lucille, or Maya

Kristi4938Kristi4938 member
edited September 2015 in Baby Names
We have loved the name Lucy from the beginning but I'm struggling with Lucy or Lucille with Lucy as her nickname. I can't stop questioning what would look better on a resume as i would like to give her a name to grow into. I just don't love the name Lucille like I love the name Lucy. And then another twist: my husband threw out the name Maya which is also lovely! I'm so confused now and would love and appreciate your feedback!! Thanks all! Ps middle name is set as Violette, a family name.

Lucy, Lucille, or Maya 78 votes

Lucy Violette
41% 32 votes
Lucille Violette
34% 27 votes
Maya Violette
24% 19 votes

Re: Lucy, Lucille, or Maya

• I would vote Lucinda over Lucille for a full name, plus I think it flows better with Violet.
    Anniversary 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm rather new to these boards, and I know many regulars here believe in "full" names you "can put on a resume." If you love the name Lucy and plan to call her that from birth, my suggestion is to name her Lucy.

I've used a nickname since birth, and I really hate the dilemma of a) putting my full name on a resume and then explaining I don't use it, or b) putting what I go by on my resume and then having a hassle when filling out HR forms, etc. I wish my parents had just named me what they wanted to call me.

I'm sure there will be others with an opposite experience. But we have Barack Hussein Obama in the White House. "Lucy" isn't going to miss job opportunities because she wasn't called "Lucille."

My $0.02 for what it's worth. (PS, I love both names!)
  • Loading the player...
  • I prefer Lucy to Lucille but Maya wins for me! Love it!
  • I'm rather new to these boards, and I know many regulars here believe in "full" names you "can put on a resume." If you love the name Lucy and plan to call her that from birth, my suggestion is to name her Lucy.

I've used a nickname since birth, and I really hate the dilemma of a) putting my full name on a resume and then explaining I don't use it, or b) putting what I go by on my resume and then having a hassle when filling out HR forms, etc. I wish my parents had just named me what they wanted to call me.

I'm sure there will be others with an opposite experience. But we have Barack Hussein Obama in the White House. "Lucy" isn't going to miss job opportunities because she wasn't called "Lucille."

Lol. Wut??

Lucille.
    Feb '16 October Siggy Challenge: Favorite Candy

Lol. Wut??

Lucille.
    Lol. Glad I wasn't the only one a bit, questioning of that.
  • I'm rather new to these boards, and I know many regulars here believe in "full" names you "can put on a resume." If you love the name Lucy and plan to call her that from birth, my suggestion is to name her Lucy. I've used a nickname since birth, and I really hate the dilemma of a) putting my full name on a resume and then explaining I don't use it, or b) putting what I go by on my resume and then having a hassle when filling out HR forms, etc. I wish my parents had just named me what they wanted to call me. I'm sure there will be others with an opposite experience. But we have Barack Hussein Obama in the White House. "Lucy" isn't going to miss job opportunities because she wasn't called "Lucille." My $0.02 for what it's worth. (PS, I love both names!)
    ummm, awkward.  Do you say the same thing to people that choose "ethnic" names (ie. Hispanic, Arabic, African, Italian, etc)?

TTC #1 10/2014
    Low progesterone
    BFP 05/2015
    Baby boy born 01/2016
    Currently: NTNP

• Btw, Lucille.

TTC #1 10/2014
    Low progesterone
    BFP 05/2015
    Baby boy born 01/2016
    Currently: NTNP

• Thanks for the feedback all! This naming business is hard :)

@mrstrax we went with Lucille over Lucinda because her middle and last names are both French, so it seems to fit better with her full name.

@virginiaunicorn11 the funny thing is, I'm a nickname. My full name is Kristi and I have always wished I had a longer version to use professionally. But, it truly hasn't held me back in any way so I don't know why it still feels important to give my daughter a formal name. Probably my own issues! But I agree with you, I don't think the name Lucy is going to close doors for her.
  • I don't love Lucille. . .  I know a Lucianna who goes by Lucy.  Is that an option?
  • You can't go wrong with any of those. I would suggest Lucia :)

• Lucy is perfectly fine as a stand-alone name. If you love it, use it.
    Anniversary 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I like Maya best. One of my favorites! If you choose Lucy, I like Lucille best as a first name. Or Lucia is even better!
  • I'm actually struggling more with the mn with these names...they just don't got to me. Your first name choices are all nice though.

• I would choose Lucille that way she has the option of going by Lucy or Lucille when she gets older. Options never hurt anyone.
  • I think Lucy is acceptable as a first name.