March 2015 Moms
Options

Teething or sick?

I'm trying to guess what is going on with lo right now. He had been pulling on his ear a few weeks ago and we thought he was just teething. Turned out he had a minor ear infection. Got meds and he stopped after a few days.

At the very end of the meds (10days) he started pulling again and got very fussy. I took him to the Pediatrition again and she said his ears were ok and it looked like the infection was gone but to bring him back if I was still concerned in a few days.

He is still grabbing his ear, very fussy (fighting sleep, getting startled easily, crying randomly), he chews on everything (but has done this for weeks) and for the past 4 days has been getting up every 2-3 hours at night (where I used to get at least 1 4-5 hour stretch a night).

I am wondering if maybe this is all teething and not his ear any more, or maybe it's always been teething and that's what caused the ear infection (from fluid/sinus drainage).

Does this sound like teething to anyone or still the ear? What have been some of your lo's symptoms while teething?

Re: Teething or sick?

• Options
    It sounds like teething to me. But then again we haven't had an ear infection issue yet. My little guy just cut his two bottom teeth but before that was waking up every 3-4 hours at night, would fight me at every turn to go to sleep even though he could hardly keep his eyes open and grabbing his ears and chewing his hands. The ear pulling, sleeping less, and all around irritable to me sound like teething. Right before they cut through he was even worse. It was like everything amplified and as soon as they broke the gums he went right back to his normal happy self.
  • Options
    Agree with PP. Teething can cause ear infections, so you are probably experiencing baby cutting his first tooth. My sister complained that her youngest developed ear infections for EVERY NEW TOOTH! It drove her nuts. Best to get it checked out though, better safe than sorry. Most ear infections can clear up without medications, but prolonged ear infections can cause hearing problems and other serious effects.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks @KD32412 & @thumper90 I am leaning towards teething too. Hope they pop through soon!
  • Options
    My little guy does this when he's tired /: it's a sure fire sign it's nap time.