Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
Options

Heading in for a D&C tomorrow

Having another sonogram tomorrow followed by a D&C if the miscarriage is confirmed. What should I expect, especially when I get home? Also how much time should I take off of work? I am a teacher and on my feet a lot.

Re: Heading in for a D&C tomorrow

• Options
    Hi. I'm sorry for your loss. I had a d&c 2 weeks ago. I'm a preschool teacher and took a full week off from work. The first day I very groggy and tired from the anesthesia and also was given prescription pain pills so not much pain but bleeding similar to a heavy period for 2-3 days. The next day I had more pain, back aches similar to period cramps. After the bleeding I spotted for 3 more days and really felt pretty good physically. About 6 days after the d&c I had very bad back pain and felt "off". I had heavy bleeding again and passed some large blood clots. I even called the Doctor but the next day I just spotted and then was fine after that. Emotionally I had a very rough time and that just takes time too :(. I had my 2 week follow up last week and can honestly say I'm overall doing well. The only restrictions I had was no sex for a week. My doctor disagreed with 2 weeks as some people are told by their doctors. He also said if I got pregnant immediately it would be fine. He only recommends waiting a couple months to ttc to get your cycle regular again. Hope that helps some. I was very anxious about the d&c too but have found sharing experiences has helped. Hugs to you.
  • Options
    @AK2008 I just had mine Friday.  I am also a teacher and planned it purposely so I could go back tomorrow.  I went in early Friday and had lots of blood work, nothing else. I went into the OR at about 9 and was out and awake by 10:15.  I was a bit groggy but otherwise felt fine.  I had very minimal spotting yesterday and barely any today.  I am just wearing an ultra thin liner.  

I was told no baths for 2 weeks and nothing in the vagina for 2 weeks (sex/tampons).  I was also told to try and not lift anything over 10lbs for the 2 weeks.  I have my post op appt on the 5th of Oct. and will have my blood drawn to check my HCG...depending on the number they may be weekly or bi-weekly.  They follow it to 0.  I am planning to take a pregnancy test on Friday Oct. 2....which will be exactly 2 weeks to get a clue about my HCG....hoping it says negative or very very faint.   I was told to wait one period then could actively try.  My doc personally says she has seen periods start after the D&C anywhere from 2 to 10 weeks.  If no period by 8 weeks.....she will intervene.  Our dream is to be pregnant by Christmas.  Our ultimate goal would be pregnant by March...which is when our due date would have been. 

Emotionally I was a mess the morning of.  I was actually high spirited afterwards (could have been the pain meds) and the evening was fine too.  Yesterday, Saturday I was an emotional wreck.  Not necessarily related to the miscarriage, but seemed to be a bit ADD....having trouble focusing and just crying on a dime.  Today was better, no tears.  

Every woman's body is different.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have also started temping which may give some signs of HCG dropping...but isn't always directly correlated.
  • Options
    I teach college. I had my d&c on a Friday, took prescription pain meds for cramping that day, and was back to my normal activity levels and no pain meds the next day. I had very little spotting and wouldn't have needed a pad, though I had one with me all the week after. I was fine back to my normal activity, although admittedly I do sit down a lot when I teach (but I didn't feel I needed to restrict my walking). I hope yours is physically as easy as mine was!

• Options
    Thanks! Everything went as expected and I'm now home resting. Everyone keeps telling me to stay home the rest of the week, my friends from work. We are supposed to celebrate my son's 5th birthday on Saturday so I just might so I can be mentally ready for all of the family, including the in-laws spending the weekend. It really helped to know I wasn't along in this, so thank you. I like to know what is to come and to be prepared. This is something you just can't prepare for.
  • Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss. Glad everything went ok and you're able to rest now. I agree with what others have said about taking time off. I felt physically fine after about 24 hours, but bled for a full week. The emotional recovery has been much harder. Every time I think I'm getting better, something random makes me cry again. 

I completely checked out of real life for a full week - skipped DS's classes, cookouts with friends, etc. and only hung out with my besties for a few days. I'm slowly getting back into a routine now, but like I said, I find myself getting sad seeing pregnant acquaintances or thinking "one week ago today I found out about my MC" etc. 

LFAF April Siggy: TV/Movie BFFs

BFP #1 12/2012, DS born 8/2013
    BFP #2 7/2015, MMC and D&C 9/2015
    BFP #3 11/2015, CP
    BFP #4 1/2016, DD born 10/2016

• Options
    mjjc7709mjjc7709 member
    edited September 2015
    I had a missed miscarriage at 8 weeks. I took Cytotec 3 weeks ago and spotted ever since then. Today I went to the ER for heavy bleeding...saturated 2 pads per hour. I need to get a D&C today. What a long drawn out nightmare. I'm so drained emotionally and physically.