Toddlers: 24 Months+

Resistant 2yo!!!

Ok, I need some new tips and tricks! My 27mo DS is resisting going down for a nap and bed. He is in a toddler bed in his own room. We have always done the no-cry method and it worked well until recently. Now, he's putting up a BIG fight EVERY time! He knows the routine and starts crying as soon as I start "quiet time". Sooo... I tried the door-shutting method a few times (he didn't care whether the door was open or closed) and even tried the cry-it-out method (once and will NOT do it again!). I have resorted back to the no-cry method but everyday it takes an hour or longer for him to fall asleep. He cries or just wiggles around, looks at me, acts goofy, etc. Same happens if I try to nap with him. I've tried no naps too as it seems he has so much energy at nap and bedtime but he gets very cranky around 5:00 and sometimes falls asleep on his own. Of course that doesn't help bedtime. I would love to hear about your sleepy-time "methods" and any new ideas you might have! Thanks!!!

Re: Resistant 2yo!!!

• BigboobsmcgeeBigboobsmcgee member
    edited September 2015

People are far too easy on little kids because they feel like it will scar them for life if they are stern or let them cry. Kids thrive on routine and structure. While the no-cry method might work for some babies (and toddlers) it will get harder and harder the older they get. Obviously, right?

Sorry, you asked about routine. I have a 3.5 year old son who has been in a twin bed since he was a little over 2. When it's getting close to bedtime we give him a bunch of warnings so he's prepared. Now that he's older, we do a minute countdown. We go upstairs, put on jammies, brush teeth then read a book on his bed. Then I lay with him and talk for a bit. Even if he's not totally tired, he lays down anyways and I leave the room. Sometimes he will mess around in bed for up to an hour but he stays in his bed.

I have always believed that consistency is key with kids. You have to be consistent and you absolutely have to follow through with whatever you say or kids will see that as their opportunity to act out. I'm not sure if my routine will help you at all but I will say that age 3 is far worse than 2 so I would try to be a little tougher on him now or this will just get worse.

My post might sound like I'm some mean mom but I'm actually quite the softie. Despite that, I know that I have to be tough sometimes if I want my kids to behave. They are pretty damn good kids too.

• I'm the mean mom too. My boys are 4 and 2 and share a room. Each has there own twin bed. Nap time is right after lunch. They are told they do not have to sleep, but they need to rest. Bed time is at 8. They get a 10 minute and 5 minute warning. Then we change into pjs, brush teeth and go to their room. We read two books (each gets to pick one) and say prayers. I tuck them in and leave. They get one pass to come out before morning for something specific (bathroom, drink, one more hug) but once they use it, they are done. 
    I hear them get up and get different books to "read" on their own, but they don't usually come out at all. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you both for your helpful replies! I incorporated a few ideas from you tonight and my little guy didn't cry at all! Just to clarify, I have a 3 1/2 old daughter too and we have a set schedule for naps and bedtime. We have a very similar routine as AnneMommy. I like the one pass idea and will use that! When I read your reply, BBMcGee, I thought about how you spent time with him in his bed. We always read books, sing and pray in my daughter's room/bed but never in my sons. So tonight we did all of that in his room, then after putting my daughter to bed, I had my son lay in his bed and spent some time next to him, told him I needed to check on Sissy and I would be right back to check on him. Worked like a charm! I also gave him warnings that bedtime was coming. Praying it continues to go smoothly. Thanks again!
  • Spoke too soon...he's screaming now.
  • As far as the nap goes, I wouldn't force him. Often time this can be the age(s) where napping stops. Maybe have a quiet time where he can read or do quiet games like puzzles. If he falls asleep at 5pm, I would just let him nap, but wake him up in 30-45 minutes. 
    As far as bed time, maybe he is going to bed too early? I have a two year old. I have actually had to push her bedtime back so she goes to bed between 9-9:30. 
    I am a big believer in following leads/cues. I don't sleep train because sleep patterns change all the time with growth spurts, teething (maybe his molars?), illness, etc. Sleeping is developmental and I don't want force something on my child that they are not ready for. 
  • MomAMY47 said:
    Spoke too soon...he's screaming now.

Keep trying. Stay consistent and he will get it. Good luck to you!