February 2016 Moms

Placenta encapsulation

I am a STM and experienced postpartum after the birth of my DS. I breast fed for 12 months and after I was done nursing Is when it really kicked in. I have doing a lot of research on Placenta encapsulation and am really considering doing this this time around to help with baby blues. I saw Placenta encapsulation was briefly mentioned in a thread back June but not expanded on. Has anyone done this before? pros? Cons? I'd appreciate advice from any veterans to the process!

Re: Placenta encapsulation

• I did it last time and will this time.

Pros: peoples' experiences with PPD/PPA seem improved, positive impact on lactation, etc.

Cons: it is very poorly researched. It's no like you can do a double blind study on it, so most "research" is just case studies.

For me, it's something very simple and it was worth it to try, even for a potentially small chance that it may help.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• @VitaLuna thank you! ...that's what I have found with "researching" ... Mostly testimonials Verses hard facts but I tend to find more faith in personal experiences. Did you do it yourself or hire someone? I have found a few women in my area who will encapsulate for you but I'm nervous about it being out of my sight and potentially "mixed up" with someone else's placenta.
  • Loading the player...
  • I've heard great things about it! I will definitely be doing it this time around. But I know the lady that does it so it makes it more reassuring that it will be done right and I can trust them. If by some crazy far fetched chance you are in New Zealand I will let you know who I'm going through.
  • I didn't do it myself. There is a homebirth midwife in my area that does it, and I knew/trusted her through a birth class she taught (I had a c/s, but wanted a more "natural" birth class).

Initially I thought it was weird that a lot of people said they had to prep it in your home. I thought they should take it to their house for the whole process, but it really did make sense once I thought about it. At your house, it can go from controlled refrigeration, right to prep/steaming. The MW took it to her house to dry and encapsulate after that, but I think it was because of my situation (unexpected c/s at a hospital 45 min away, so my mom had to take my placenta to her house to have it prepped. My step dad was a little weirded out by the whole thing, and probably wouldn't have eaten the next few days if it was on the dehydrator at their house ;) Typically this MW likes to leave her dehydrator at your house and will come get it when it's dry).

Maybe pick your top two or three and email them to get a feel for who you'd be most comfortable with?

• I did it. I agree with VitaLuna's pros and cons. I had SUCH an easy recovery, it was crazy. Obviously it's impossible to know if it was at all thanks to encapsulation, but maybe? It doesn't hurt so I'm all for it. I had my doula do it.
    Married 8.5.12
    Caleb born 10.9.13
    2.0 due 2.1.16
  • I did it last time around and had no PPD and copious milk supply. Of course, I have no idea if it was the placenta or not - and there isn't a ton of formal science to back it up - but it seems like a waste to just throw out this amazing biological gift. Definitely doing it again!
  • I am really interested in this. A friend of my family works in a birthing center nearby and I plan on asking her more about it.
  • I did placenta encapsulation with my first. I really think it helped with my milk supply and recovery. I had some PPD (I think) but not as bad as it could've been. My doula encapsulated it for me.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I did it with my last. I had a great recovery and felt a dip in energy when I did my take a pill. My doula did it for me. My OB was so surprised by my quick c-section recovery and was interested at looking into more research on encapsulation.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I did it my first pregnancy and loved it. The doula prepped it at her house. While pregnant I asked my midwife about it and she said there is nothing definitive saying it works or that it's harmful, but the placebo effect is real. That was enough to convince me! I was far less moody than I expected to be and didn't cry nearly as much over insignificant things as some other friends of mine. I did cry on day 4 that he was getting to big and I wanted him to stay little, but I'm pretty sure that is very common :-)
  • I'm trying to figure out if I'm going to do it or not too, so I'm no help.
    Part of me wants to try everything I can to help fight off PPD and help with milk supply, but the other part wants to take the money I'd use for encapsulation and put it towards a post partum doula.
    For anyone in Texas, our state just passed a law that women can take their placentas home. No court order necessary! (Hawaii and Oregon also have this law)

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Pregnancy Ticker
  • Honestly did not know that this was a thing that non-crazy people did. Since I know you guys aren't crazy (most of you) I guess this is something I will look into. Thanks for the tip!
  • What do they think is in the placenta that is beneficial?
    Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker
  • geojam224 said:

What do they think is in the placenta that is beneficial?

It stores all of the nutrients that are feeding your baby for nine months. I'm sure there are awesome articles on it, when I'm on my computer later I can look ok some up.
    Married 8.5.12
    Caleb born 10.9.13
    2.0 due 2.1.16
  • @Shatzegirl I had such a large milk supply with my first I am nervous that taking the placenta would make me get engorged as I have read in some ppls online stories that has happened. But the healing benefits and lack of PPD is what draws me to it
  • I did it and had huge milk issues. I never produced enough no matter what I tried but I did feel a slight boost of energy after taking them. I'm not sure if I will do it again. I'm on the fence since there isn't any hard science behind it at this point. UNLV did a double blind study recently and I'm interested to read those results. I declined being in it because I didn't want to risk getting the placebo.
    My hospital last time wouldn't release the placenta for 7 days so I didn't get the immediate start that other people did.
  • I'm might give it a try, if I can get all the materials to do it at home. There is a lady who does it here but she charges 200 dollars. I think that's alot, plus H will have to drive 2 1/2 hours to deliver the placenta to her.
  • I had supply issues, too, so I didn't get that benefit, but I'll still be doing it again this time.

• I heard of benefits but I personally have never done it. I'm pregnant with my fourth and I couldn't imagine taking the pills or doing what my/our family does with the placenta. No thank you.
  • Never knew about this... Definitely had to Google it and all on the fence after reading what it is (just the definition, no research). Will have to be something I read more about.

Married.....09/08/2012
    Baby F.......02/02/2016
  • FTM planning on doing it. I've already contacted the woman who makes them. I figure it can't hurt and it might help, so why not.
    Feb '16 October Siggy Challenge: Favorite Candy

• I'm might give it a try, if I can get all the materials to do it at home. There is a lady who does it here but she charges 200 dollars. I think that's alot, plus H will have to drive 2 1/2 hours to deliver the placenta to her.

That's a good idea; I didn't really think about doing it myself. I just looked it up and there's not a lot of stuff needed. I thought a dehydrator would be necessary but apparently you can do that part in your oven.
    It costs about $200 here too but the people I've found will come to your house.
    Something to think about....

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Pregnancy Ticker
  • I don't think you will be in the mood to mess around with a placenta after giving birth, lol.
  • @oxfordlanding ,It can be frozen and prepared at a later date.

@purpletulip , she's the only one who seems to be doing it in my country. But I have found online kits. I can also get a pet snack dehydrator here for 50 dollars. So I really might consider giving it a go.