Two Under 2

Advice: helping my babes be happiest BABIES on the Block??

NhbabyNhbaby member
edited July 2015 in Two Under 2
The Happiest Baby on the Block is a wonderful book . Once I started following it for my first baby things just worked wonderfully: crying was less, sleeping improved, etc. But, now my baby is 22-mo old and I have a 6 1/2-wk babe. It breaks my heart when little guy is crying if I'm changing big guy's diaper, getting him in/out of highchair, attempting naptime, cutting up food, etc.. Ugh!! It hurts my heart!! I go as fast as I can to get to him but sometimes he cries 1-2 mins..sometimes longer! Feels like an eternity! I really have become good at nursing while doing other things with big guy but sometimes it's just not possible (or safe!). Pls tell me I'm not doing insane psychological damage… I fully believe in the 4th trimester but how do you follow the "rules" with a Toddler? (I also posted this on the 0 to 3 month board so apologies to those of you who read both..)

Re: Advice: helping my babes be happiest BABIES on the Block??

• Okay, I have two under 2, but they are twins so I'm not quite in the same situation as you. BUT, I definitely know what it's like to have one wailing/crying/screaming while you are doing something with the other one. Sometimes moms just don't have enough arms! Haha! 

No, you are not doing any damage to your baby by letting him/her cry for a little bit. It took me a long time to realize it, but when one was crying I finally just started thinking to myself, "you need to wait your turn". And, eventually they do! I'm not kidding. EVERYTHING takes two trips: getting babies in/out of high chairs, in/out of bath, in/out of car, in/out of stroller.. they will eventually just be patient and wait. And it's good for them.  I don't know what Happiest Baby on the Block is, but I am all for teaching my kiddos patience. You're doing a great job. I think most moms go through this if they have 2+ kids. Keep it up!
  • Baby wearing might help in some situations?
    I like my baby ktan.