Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

Not repeating sounds

My LO will be 8 months old in a week and is not repeating sounds yet like "ma ma, da da, ba ba" etc. She's a very social baby, smiles and talks to everyone, but just doesn't repeat sounds like that yet, she mostly just makes vowel sounds. She has a Drs appointment next month so I was planning on talking the her Doc about it then if she still hasn't started repeating sounds by then, but I'm just wondering if anybody else experienced this and is it something I should be worried about... Everything I've read online says that babies usually start repeating sounds around 6 months. =/

Re: Not repeating sounds

• Options
    Stop reading! Your baby is most likely just fine. I'd wait for the doc appt next month and don't stress this at all.
  • Options
    My 9 month old is not mimicking sounds either.  No mama or dada.  However she is babbling away in her baby talk so I am not too worried.  She has her 9 month check up next week so I figured I'd ask the doctor then. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Focus on repeating small words - like "ball", "dog", "bye", "hi", and "bath".  Clap when she does to build her confidence.

Usually kids will focus on one thing - some learn to talk before they can walk, whereas other kids learn to walk before they can talk.

• Options
    I remember when i had my first his now 12 asking another mum who had the same age bub as me 12mnths at the time does she talk yet an she said no is she ment to an i was like i dont know because he isnt,
    I now have a 6 mnth old an with more information out there on the net it says they should start mumma dadda bubba he has just really started babbeling so im not to concerned they will in there own time an i think googleing is the worst thing we can all do!!
  • Options
    I'd call your local early intervention. It's often free but it can take a couple months to get enrolled.