July 2015 Moms

Passive agressive tummy time

Ok, so I've posted about how my LO screams her head off when we try to do tummy time. I've tried different tricks, but she still hates it. But, I know she needs to start building up those muscles plus she's got a flat spot on her head! She needs tummy time!!! So, I've been more deliberate about it for the last couple of days. I know you shouldn't continue TT when they start crying but what can you do?

Then today, everytime we started TT, she would fuss a little, maybe push herself up once and look around. But then, she lays down, starts sucking her fist and kinda zones out. Totally passive agressive - like she's protesting. I tried to get her engaged with toys and mirrors, but she just lays there.

Anyone else's baby do this? She will start crying after a while, and at least it's something... is this progress?

Re: Passive agressive tummy time

• Im afraid may be as good as it gets. DS does this so what I do is pick him back up or roll him over and engage a little bit and then restart tummy time. I do this until he completely zones and wont try anymore. Once he does that I lay him on my lap to lengthin thr time as much as he will allow. Hope this is helpful
  • Hahaha, thought it was just my LO!!! She will completely zone out but then perk right back up when I flip get on her back... I do the same thing @nalise88 mentioned but instead of my lap, I put her in her father's chest, she will do TT on daddy's chest with no issues. I guess we just have to get creative in finding ways for them to strengthen those muscles.
  • Loading the player...
  • Mine will "protest" sleeping sometimes. It's so cute. You get one little cry and then silence for a moment.
  • Thank you ladies! I will try rolling her on her back to re-engage her and start TT over to see if that helps.

It is adorable when she just lays there. And, honestly, it's totally something I would have done as a kid to my mom.
  • I had someone suggest playing Baby Einstein videoed from YouTube on your phone during TT. I haven't tried it yet, but she told me her daughter would follow the shapes and sounds and made it really easy.
  • My baby still screams when I tummy time. I think maybe we didn't start it early enough. She does ok when I tummy time on my chest so we do a lot of tummy time that way now.
  • @Savanna111911 I think that's our issue too!! My son hates it, but I think I started it too late with him.
  • Lurking from June

My LO also doesn't like tummy time. The general consensus on our board is most June babes don't like it. Some will tolerate it better than most, is all.

I am guilty of rarely doing 'official' tummy time. He used to cry, now he does what yours does. Squirms for bit, grumbles about it, grunts, then finally just kinda lays there, pouting. But when I took him to his 2m appt she said he had good head control, and I can tell its getting stronger all the time. What I do instead is instead of burping him over my shoulder, I put him chest to chest with me, his head under my chin and I recline my torso back at an angle. Its part tummy time and part straight up time. He pushes off my chest and looks left or right. His ped said that was fine because she figures he gets 5 or so minutes of that each feeding, and eats 5-6 times a day, it adds up.
    Also, one of the June moms (shout out to hoodoll82 if she sees this here) posted this link and I try to incorporate some of the stuff in it for helping with tummy time, I found it pretty helpful. https://mamaot.com/tips-for-making-tummy-time-a-little-less-um-miserable/
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My little guy does it too. Jut lays there staring off into space. Then I flip him to his back and he's Mr. Wiggles again. It doesn't seem to matter what toys I put there or how much I talk to him. He stares for a bit then cries until I turn him around again. He likes to be carried over my shoulder though and he's constantly looking around when doing that so that's something.
  • My LO doesn't like Tummy Time even on our chest - she flips out! Her neck is strong because I do hold her over my shoulder quite a bit. I'm just worried she won't developed those other muscles that will help her to roll over and push up. I have read that article and those are great tips - my LO isn't having any of it!
  • I am right there with all of you. My LO will usually start crying within a couple of minutes... It doesn't help that his head is pretty big at the moment. But I just keep encouraging/talking/singing then roll side to front to back. I tried a rolled towel and the boppy for under his chest and it helps a bit. I finally ordered a tummy time mat to see if it'll help. It was a pillow with different textured toys attached to it and a plastic mirror to place in front of the mat. Crossing my fingers...

We just gotta stick with it ladies!

DS1 7/24/15

DS2 5/7/17

• I started tummy time at about 3 weeks and my LO was very fussy .. He is two months now and he has gotten use to it .
    He lifts his head and is able to hold it for long periods and he is will rollover from
    His stomach to his back .
    I find that in the morning is when he is very stimulated and alert so that when I do tummy time with him. I also lay him chest to chest for tummy time or across my Lap..
    He will be starting daycare soon and I also requested with the provide that she continues my regimen if tummy time .
  • My little one HATES tummy time if you lay him flat on his tummy. He will scream his head off. I started doing tummy time on the boppy and he seems to respond to that much better. He will actually hold his head up and play for a short period of time. Try the boppy. It helped. 
  • We finally found a toy that she is kinda interested in. So, "Sally" and I do tummy time with Izzy and she can hang on for longer before she zones out.

I've tried using the Boppy for TT and she doesn't like that any better.
  • My LO is not a fan of tummy time but he also doesn't completely hate it. He does one of two things on his play mat. 1. Zone out and chew on his hand. 2. Lay flat but push himself around with his legs.

He does have great head control and when we carry him over the shoulder he looks around. Maybe that counts?