October 2015 Moms
Options

VBAC's - what is your plan if you get close/go over due date?

I am just over 38W and OB advised last week that ideally, I should have baby btween 38 and 39 weeks. She will not induce due to further risks (ie. Uterine rupture etc). We will try sweep this week but if nothing by weeks end we will be doing Csec. To be clr., my first Csec was due to breech and my OB was the one who suggested VBAC but wants a problem free delivery hence suggesting "early" delivery. Any similar situations?

Re: VBAC's - what is your plan if you get close/go over due date?

• Options
    My OB also wants me between 38 to 39...She def doesn't want me going over 40 though, due to GD. I have kept my sugars really good apparently and the ultrasound has LO in a good size range so they didn't schedule for inducement yet. If she isn't here by this Thursday my 39 week appointment, then they will be doing a sweep to try to get things moving.
  • Options
    An early delivery isn't evidence based for vbac success.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @komorebi its because of the GD I'm sure. I have GD and was also told that they will induce before I hit 40 weeks to prevent the baby from getting too large.
  • Options
    I'm sure if you have a medical indication. But in general going past 40 weeks is part of the normal course of things.
  • Options
    indy_chicindy_chic member
    edited September 2015
    Normal if no c section is required, normal if prev. Poster said. No GD, normal if DR is not concerned with uterine rupture or other concern(s) that could compromise baby or moms health.

• Options
    I'm planning a vba2c and will go up to 42 weeks without any alterations to the plan assuming everyone stays healthy and on track. My doula did recommend a sweep if I end up going past 40 weeks. I'm 37 weeks and I've been having a fair amount of contractions so hopefully we won't see 42 weeks.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    @indy_chic are you in Indianapolis?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I'm going to attempt a VBAC, but my Dr did schedule a CS for the day after my due date. So if I go into labor on my own prior to that day, I can try a VBAC, otherwise a CS will happen 41+1 days. She said they do not do inductions if there's been a previous CS. I did not want to schedule the CS any earlier than 40 weeks.
    TTC Baby #2 Since May 2014
    BFP February 6th 2015!!!
    EDD October 15, 2015
  • Options
    My original OB (the same Dr who did my c/s 3 years ago) said I had to go into labor by EDD for her to allow me to try a TOLAC.  She also would not allow an induction, due to possible increase in risk.  I think a lot of women who are interested in VBACs come up against OBs like these who say they're supportive, but will only "allow" a VBAC under perfect circumstances.  (As if any natural birth follows a perfect, by-the-book path.)

I contacted my local ICAN chapter and, after a lot of research, I transferred my care to a wonderful group of midwives and OBs who are comfortable with VBAC moms going to 42 weeks.  They will also induce with foley cath or pitocin.  (I believe the pitocin is what started me down the path to c/s with DD, so I plan to turn down the option of pitocin if it comes to that.)  

If your body and your baby are ready to go into labor, a membrane sweep can be really effective.  With DD, my OB did a sweep, and I was in labor within 24 hours.  Hopefully, if they try that for you, it will work. Good luck on your VBAC!  
  • Options
    If I haven't had the baby by 41 weeks, then the group of midwives I'm with say that at that point we'll discuss scheduling an induction or a RCS, but it will be up to me unless something is going wrong. Hoping I won't have to make that decision, but I at least want to give the TOLAC a go before resorting to another C-section if it isn't clinically indicated.