2nd Trimester

Sex while pregnant

I had sex with my boyfriend and I'm almost 16 weeks pregnant but I am bleeding, the doctor said it was very normal but I'm scared.

Re: Sex while pregnant

• Thebaby13 said:

I had sex with my boyfriend and I'm almost 16 weeks pregnant but I am bleeding, the doctor said it was very normal but I'm scared.

Your vagina and cervix are sensitive during pregnancy. Sex can irritate it which can cause bleeding. If your doctor isn't concerned, I wouldn't be either.
  • Please use the search feature, it will both ease your mind and also not clog up the board with repeat questions.
  • Loading the player...
  • Your doctor said its normal, why would you question a professional? You think you'll get better answers from a bunch of pregnant women with no medical background?
  • Maybe less rough sex in the future...lol..sorry..jealous here..I'm ordered NO sex at all..gonna b a long ride... :P
  • Geez the ladies responding are rude. I wouldn't worry about it if your doctor says its fine. I completely understand though, that would scare me too.
  • I think she's trying to get reassurance and find women who have had similar experiences so it's not as scary - not get better advice then a Dr.
  • edited September 2015
    The vagina changes throughout pregnancy and becomes engorged in blood. So it's common to feel different down there. Sometimes you can break a little blood vessel during intercourse. I haven't had any bleeding but heard it can be common. Make sure you are well lubricated and that he isn't going too deep.
  • Geez, some people are pretty rude. She is just looking for reassurance, which is what this page is supposed to be about... I wouldn't worry too much unless it is heavy or doesn't stop. That is a very normal pregnancy symptom, but if you are still concerned you can always make a trip to the ER to get checked out. 
  • djdawn29a said:
    Maybe less rough sex in the future...lol..sorry..jealous here..I'm ordered NO sex at all..gonna b a long ride... :P

Or, not such a long ride, if you know what I mean ;)

cat fail animated GIF

• yogahh said:

djdawn29a said:

Maybe less rough sex in the future...lol..sorry..jealous here..I'm ordered NO sex at all..gonna b a long ride... :P

Or, not such a long ride, if you know what I mean ;)

Hahaha..ur right!!!
  • Am 18weeks 5days pregnant is it normal to feel pain after sex it my first pregnancy
  • rsstout said:

Geez, some people are pretty rude. She is just looking for reassurance, which is what this page is supposed to be about... I wouldn't worry too much unless it is heavy or doesn't stop. That is a very normal pregnancy symptom, but if you are still concerned you can always make a trip to the ER to get checked out. 

I'd just like to point out that the ER is for emergencies; not peace of mind.
  • Some women are very rude, and miss the point of some posts. Sorry, but it's just fact. Any who... I was having bleeding after sex, and found out I had a complete placenta previa. I hope everything is ok with you, but I completely understand to be worried. I think it's normal to worry when your pregnant.
  • Abby0307 said:
    Geez the ladies responding are rude. I wouldn't worry about it if your doctor says its fine. I completely understand though, that would scare me too.

I disagree with you. No one was rude, just upfront and factual. Just because they don't sugar coat does NOT make them rude. Same advice to you @susanS118 .

Its ok to worry, but it is unreasonable to worry if your doctor does not seem concerned. They know you, your medical history and condition. We do not. So, we can say (with a fair amount of confidence) that if your doctor is not worried about the bleeding then you should do your best to try to relax.

Sex can irritate the cervix and cause bleeding. This is also true of difficult bowel movements (pushing puts pressure on the cervix), GBS swab (later), Internals and other routine things can cause the cervix to bleed. If the blood isn't enough to fill a pad and you've alerted your doctor-- that's all you can do.

The rest is just remember to hydrate, listen to your body (don't push yourself) and keep your doctor informed. I do understand the worry, but it is NOT rude to point out that we can't reassure you any more than your doctor who can examine you in person.

Some worry is understandable, but I'm not sure its reasonable to continue to worry when you've gotten more accurate reassurance from your provider and multiple posters here. Hang in there.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• rsstout said:
    Geez, some people are pretty rude. She is just looking for reassurance, which is what this page is supposed to be about... I wouldn't worry too much unless it is heavy or doesn't stop. That is a very normal pregnancy symptom, but if you are still concerned you can always make a trip to the ER to get checked out. 
    1.) Not coddling the OP is not rude. Giving her accurate and up front advice is actually doing her a solid. This website is for entertainment purposes, actually. Everything should go through your doctor first because we are strangers and not medical professionals. Its also not rude to tell OP this. Its safety first and respectful of her as a pregnant woman. Glitter and sunshine are not always better, I promise.

2.) Please do not tell folks to go to the ER for second trimester issues. This is inaccurate information. The ER is for emergencies of a life-threatening nature. Second trimester spotting should go to Labor and Delivery. However, she should always (always!) contact her provider first (which she did). If you go to the ER first you are actually going to be re-routed to L&D after 14 weeks. Its a waste of time, triage and professional time. That's why you call your OB first and they can direct you. At this time her provider is not concerned so this advice is not at all helpful or even rational. Please please please think before you post. Thank you.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Legit question. What is the point in reviving a zombie thread just to chastise people? 

Trust your doctors, folks. You see them for a reason.

I lurk. I snark. I offer sound advice if you're not BSC. You may not like me. I'm okay with it.