April 2015 Moms
Options

Sitting Up

My baby is still 10 days away from being 5 months, but I'm getting anxious to see when he'll be sitting up on his own. He's been rolling for weeks so it's probably only a matter of time, I just don't know when a normal age for babies to be sitting up is. He barely needs support and can hold it himself for a few seconds right now. My pedi said 6 months is the age they do that, but she also said at 5 months he'd be rolling nonstop (which he has been since before he was 4 months old)! Are any of your babies sitting up yet and should I be worried at all? Is there anything I can do to help him learn faster?

Re: Sitting Up

• Options
    My 5 month old guy is starting to sit up more and more, and I'm not worried. He's also pulling up on his hands and knees and rocking, trying to figure out how to crawl. He probably will be crawling for sure by 6 months, which is pretty early. I think he's just anxious to be mobile...doesn't make him a super baby, and I don't think it will make a whole lot of difference in the long haul on how smart or capable he is...just means we need to baby proof sooner.

He sits with us at the table around mealtimes in a bumbo that acts as a booster seat to help
    him keep working on sitting up and sometimes I will help him at playtimes to practice sitting up. My mom showed me how you can surround them with pillows so that when they inevitably flop over, they land on a soft surface.
  • Options

My 5 month old guy is starting to sit up more and more, and I'm not worried. He's also pulling up on his hands and knees and rocking, trying to figure out how to crawl. He probably will be crawling for sure by 6 months, which is pretty early. I think he's just anxious to be mobile...doesn't make him a super baby, and I don't think it will make a whole lot of difference in the long haul on how smart or capable he is...just means we need to baby proof sooner.

He sits with us at the table around mealtimes in a bumbo that acts as a booster seat to help
    him keep working on sitting up and sometimes I will help him at playtimes to practice sitting up. My mom showed me how you can surround them with pillows so that when they inevitably flop over, they land on a soft surface.

Yeah I have a feeling mine will be crawling early too! He's trying so hard to get on his knees to go towards something he wants, but he has to figure out sitting first haha. I'll have to try the bumbo out! I've seen it a lot and have always wondered about getting one. For practice right now we just sit him in his pack and play since if he falls over he lands on a soft mat.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    When you say rolling over do you mean on to the side? Or all the way to the back?
    My 4.5month old hasn't rolled all the way to her back yet but when practicing sitting up she has held it for a couple seconds then flops.
  • Options
    edelat11 said:

When you say rolling over do you mean on to the side? Or all the way to the back?
    My 4.5month old hasn't rolled all the way to her back yet but when practicing sitting up she has held it for a couple seconds then flops.

He goes from his back to tummy and back over again. He can roll all the way across his crib! He just seems to have no interest in sitting.
  • Options
    My son is sitting and crawling and I feel he's growing up too fast! He just turned 5 months. He's such a big boy.
  • Options
    I think every baby is different. Mine was rolling from tummy to back at 3 months but wouldn't roll from back to tummy until 4. She doesn't need a lot of support when sitting but not completely doing so on her own yet (5 months, 1 week).
    My brother never crawled or walked until he was almost 2 years old. My parents brought in doctors and physical therapists but nothing helped until it just clicked. He's now a completely ambulatory high school teacher with a math degree from a nationally ranked program. Some kids just develop slower. I'm going to try to not worry so long as the doctor says she's fine.
  • Options

I think every baby is different. Mine was rolling from tummy to back at 3 months but wouldn't roll from back to tummy until 4. She doesn't need a lot of support when sitting but not completely doing so on her own yet (5 months, 1 week).
    My brother never crawled or walked until he was almost 2 years old. My parents brought in doctors and physical therapists but nothing helped until it just clicked. He's now a completely ambulatory high school teacher with a math degree from a nationally ranked program. Some kids just develop slower. I'm going to try to not worry so long as the doctor says she's fine.

Yes! I think it all seems so incredibly important right now to us, especially for those of us who are first time mothers, but in a few years, I don't think it will matter if they sat up at 4 months or 7, crawled at 5 or 8, just that they eventually did it. Just as our birth stories are ceasing to be as important (because all that really matters is that the baby and mama are ok), I think the timing of their milestones will cease to be as important, too.
  • Options
    We will be 6 months Saturday and has been sitting up on own past week or so she loves it
  • Options
    Well he's 3 days away now from being 5 months and he's sat up on his own a couple times now! And he's rocking on his knees like he wants to crawl, I feel like by 6 months he's gonna be just about there! Thanks for all the responses, being a FTM I get worried about the littlest things haha
  • Options
    Mine is 5.5 months and has been rolling since around 3.5, but can't really sit up without help either. She's a shrimpy kid too--13lbs and 26"! Mommy and daddy are also string beans, so I wonder if she just needs to bulk up a bit before she's strong enough to hold herself up. She's sits ok in the Bumbo, but keeps pitching forward. She loves to "stand" though! I'm sure she'll be mobile soon enough!
  • Options
    My son is 4 and 3 weeks and he had been sitting up on his own for a month now. All babies develop at their own rate. There is no way to make your baby reach a milestone any faster. Just be patient and continue to sit your little one up and one day soon they will be sitting up all on their own.