April 2015 Moms
Options

Burping Lo

pooks0703pooks0703 member
edited September 2015 in April 2015 Moms
Is it necessary to burp after every feeding? Most of the time when my LO is awake after a feeding I burp him or he burps. He is 5 months now. During night feedings sometimes he is asleep after and doesn't wake up even while changing his diaper. I try to burp him but he is so fast asleep. Is it ok to put him down without a burp or should I wake him up no matter what? Worried about breast milk backing up if I don't burp..What are you mommies doing when your lo is fast asleep after a feeding? Thank you!

Re: Burping Lo

• Options
    I don't burp before setting lo into the crib when she is sleeping and no spit up or anything. Probably depends on the baby but mine does fine.
  • Options
    I try to burp, but if it doesn't happen I'll lay him down anyways. That said mine is still sleeping in a Rock n Play because we are still dealing with spitting up.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    NickiochNickioch member
    edited September 2015
    Breastfeeding tends to produce less need for burping, since they're not swallowing air as they do with bottles. My guy doesn't burp much, esp at night, but he also sleeps on incline and hasn't had reflux issues; formula tends to produce more spitting up too I believe. I also try to just keep him upright for 10-20 mins after eating to avoid reflux and let everything settle in the tummy. If you haven't had issues so far it's probably okay not to, but I'd ask your pediatrician to get their take!