June 2015 Moms

Baby sunscreen

We're taking LO apple picking today, she will be in the Ergo with a hat, but her legs and some part of arms will be exposed. I know sunscreen recommends 6+ months, have any of you used it on your baby? What kind?
TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.

Re: Baby sunscreen

• I haven't used it yet but her pediatrician said once she's 3 months it's ok if you'll be out in the sun and there's a chance she could get sunburn, to use it instead of risking it. I think she said on her arms and face but I would think legs would be fine also.
  • Oh I think we used baby copper tone? If it's a pink bottle for my 5yo. You could also take a light blanket like the Aden and Anais ones and tuck it around the ergo somehow to At least cover her legs.
  • Loading the player...
  • I haven't put it on the baby yet because she still uses the infant insert in my carriers so nothing really shows. But with my toddler I use "Honest" or "Babyganics" sunscreen.
  • I used a sunblock on our daughter at 8 weeks with Drs advice and she was fine but we ended tucking s muslin wrap into the sides of carrier to cover her lefs
  • ThinkBaby is excellent for those looking for something that doesn't contain parabens or other additives. I am terrible about sunscreen. I have to do better about actual applying it to my kids, and myself.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The pediatrician that I work with said it is fine. We had to go to an outdoor event and I asked the pedi his thoughts. He said as long as your not covering baby head to toe in it then it's not a problem. We also used honest bug spray that day.
  • I love the Aveeno Baby. The whole family uses it now because it's so much better than regular stuff.

@mrs1374a Have you seen the lawsuits over the Honest Co sunscreen? There are lots of people claiming it isn't effective and they started a class action lawsuit. I don't have any experience with it, but you might want to look into it.
  • My pediatrician recommended Blue Lizard. I ended up not using any at the beach after reading that the AAP doesn't recommend until 6 months except in very small quantities. We kept him indoors 10-2 and covered him up in the shade.
  • Sammy K said:

I love the Aveeno Baby. The whole family uses it now because it's so much better than regular stuff.

@mrs1374a Have you seen the lawsuits over the Honest Co sunscreen? There are lots of people claiming it isn't effective and they started a class action lawsuit. I don't have any experience with it, but you might want to look into it.

I have 3 tubes of the honest sunscreen from Costco that in just going to throw away! So glad I saw all the news stories about it before I used it.

• My pediatrician told me that sunscreen does not work on babies under 6 months because of their pores and oils, so it's essentially giving false protection. When we went to the beach he just told us to keep them covered and in the shade. Hope you had fun apple picking!
  • I use Ava Anderson on my 14.5 month old. And myself and DH for that matter :)
  • I know you're done with your trip, but my ped recommended a mechanical sunscreen like blue lizard instead. Like pp said, it has zinc in it, same as diaper rash cream.
  • @MaliKaela that's SO interesting you're so right. Regardless we weren't in the sun for long, definitely longer than usual though.
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • HoosOnFirstHoosOnFirst member
    edited September 2015
    Our doc also said it was fine to use pretty early on and to use one with zinc. We bought Aveeno but haven't had occasion to use it yet!

Mmmm apple picking! It feels so early but there are signs everywhere. Maybe next weekend for us!

@dancegurl1118 hope you get to hit up the Orange Fair!
  • We have Aveeno Baby, haven't used it yet, but we have it.