August 2015 Moms

How to professionally not come back from Maternity Leave

anybody out there take maternity leave and think about becoming a stay at home mom? I work for a great company but not sure it will be financially worth it to continue working after my maternity leave. How do you professionally quit? I have been with this place 4 years and I hate breaking up with people -aka quitting:) any advice on what to say to the boss?

Re: How to professionally not come back from Maternity Leave

• Loading the player...
  • I had (professionally) quit my job a couple months before baby was due, and a couple weeks later they actually asked me to come back and train my replacement. I happily obliged!
  • Miz_Liz said:

I would reach out to them and ask if they have some time to talk. I would then say something like, "DH and I have been interviewing a lot of day cares and nannies to watch our LO; however we are finding that the cost of child care is far more than we ever anticipated. We have been doing a lot of number crunching and honestly at this point we feel that financially it makes more sense for me to stay home with our LO than to return to work. Obviously this isn't something we planned or expected, but after a lot of discussion, it is just what makes the most sense right now for our family. I am so sorry to be doing this while on leave, I think by now you know the kind of person/worker I am and I would never intentionally leave you in a hard spot, but I wanted to tell you ASAP so that you can work on replacing me. If you need me to return for a week or two to train my replacement and get them up to speed, I would be happy to do so." Or something similar.

This is exactly what I told my bosses when I put my notice in prior to the baby being born. I think the most important thing is to offer to train your replacement.
  • I have been toying with the same idea or at least cutting back. I currently work 4 days. I believe I am required to go back for the two weeks before making any sort of change otherwise I jeopardize my three months of maternity leave and benefits I've kept through it. I am planning on going back though. I return beginning of November and would ideally like to work through the holidays before deciding what we want to do. There are a few medical things and dental things we want accomplished before switching things up (I carry the benefits) and I feel that giving it time will make me see if I really want to stop working altogether or not. It may just be my hormones talking right now. LOL
  • PixelPosyPixelPosy member
    edited September 2015
    I can't make up my mind on what I want I want to do. I've been with my company for 12 years and have a wonderfully flexible fufilling job... but the kids are only small once, argh! I also found out this week they laid a bunch of my coworkers off. I wasn't one of them, which darn the luck, would have made this decision much easier and I would have received severance.

What @Miz_Liz said is spot on... though I doubt I'd be able to articulate it so eloquently when actually speaking to my boss! 
  • @PixelPosy to be laid off right now would make the decision so much easier!
  • PixelPosy said:

I can't make up my mind on what I want I want to do. I've been with my company for 12 years and have a wonderfully flexible fufilling job... but the kids are only small once, argh! I also found out this week they laid a bunch of my coworkers off. I wasn't one of them, which darn the luck, would have made this decision much easier and I would have received severance.

What @Miz_Liz said is spot on... though I doubt I'd be able to articulate it so eloquently when actually speaking to my boss! 
    Me too, been there 12 years and I have Wednesday's off and like what I do. But they grow so fast and she is my last baby. Plus when I'm working I'm always thinking of being home more, but not usually the other way around. Even though I never pictured me at home.

• Great advice Miz Liz! Op, don't feel guilty about this. They will understand you are doing what's best for your family. If they aren't supportive then that's on them. I will also not be returning to work, can't wait to be a SAHM!
  • I work for my dad's company so I couldn't quit of I wanted to, but another girl just had a baby a week before me and she sent him a text explaining her situation and she couldn't afford to come back. Needless to say, that's NOT the way to go. He was going to offer her part time or options for working from home but the text left a bad taste in his mouth so he didn't.

Moral of the story- if you're going to do it, do it face to face and don't wait until the day before you're supposed to return.
  • @tsiviaw I definitely won't be texting my boss :) but I think meeting with him a month before I come back is a great idea-part time just might be a possibility in his mind too!

@Miz_Liz I am so happy you shared your story. I have frequently thought about how this time in our babies life is short and soon they will be in school all day and not needing us that much. To be able to take some time and enjoy this stage of life is a real blessing
  • I left my career as a corporate accountant Sept 1. I wrote a nice letter to my boss & the Dir of HR. It basically said that I appreciated the opportunity to work with their company, but it became apparent to me while on maternity leave that I could best serve my family by staying home with my newborn. Short & sweet.
    Mom to one in heaven. Mom to one here on Earth.

BFP - 12/1
    First U/S - 12/11 Saw heartbeat
    Second U/S - 12/18 HR 120 BPM 
    Third U/S - 12/23/2014 HR 150 BPM

Due Date - 8/8/2015 
    Arrival Date - 8/3/2015 - Asher David 8 lbs 5 oz 21 1/2"

• I decided not to go back to work. I haven't told them yet though. I'm glad for this post I've been nervous about it. I don't think they'll care honestly, but I hate confrontation. I went back to school last year for my masters to be a nurse practitioner. When I did that, I quit the hospital and started working for a home health company on an as needed basis. I told them when I come back from maternity leave that I will only be taking call. So they're only losing a one weekend a month employee anyway. I have to go to some very dangerous neighborhoods for my job, and DH said he doesn't want me doing that now that I have a baby. The last day I worked, I was 38 plus weeks pregnant, and had a man come up to me cussing me out for being on his street. That was the end for DH.
  • @Miz_Liz I appreciate you sharing your story. I remember a lot of those feelings with my daughter in her first year of life. I actually refused to throw away the daily daycare slips and had a giant stack of them. DH thought I was nuts, but I'd burst into tears if he tried to throw them away because "they were my baby's days". Now that she is older, daycare enriches her life in a way I'm afraid I won't be able to match. I no longer keep every slip, just a few for memories.

I even wrote out a pro/con list to SAH earlier this week, and can talk myself out of just about every con. For example no sick or personal days... answer to that is all the grandparents we have nearby. Loss of seniority and benefits that come with it... no job or benefit is guaranteed, proven by the latest round of layoffs and benefit cuts at my company. 

I think what I need to push me to say yes I want to SAH is for DH to feel that way. He's in the camp of do whatever you feel is best, which isn't what I need from him. 
  • @PixelPosy I would tell him that. Maybe he is afraid you will blame him if you regretted it? I would just say, "That isn't what I need from you right now, I need you to tell me that you agree that it is an good idea if we can swing it for me to be a SAHM." Maybe then he will realize and be more supportive.