November 2015 Moms

Labor

OK so I'm 8 months and I'm still kind of scared of labor and delivery I want to go natural but If I can't do it then I'll just get the epidural. But I also do not like needles . How bad does the epidural hurt?and which one would you all perfer?

Re: Labor

• YouTube birthing videos help ease a lot of my fears before my first labor.
  • Epidural is no biggie.
    the worst parts are staying still through contractions and the lidocaine shots(numbing agent).
  • Loading the player...
  • The epidural is not big deal. They numb the area first. You will experience worse pain through contractions than a little needle.
  • It is different for every person.  Although contractions are painful, some women get through them just fine without medication.  You are also able to have more freedom of movement without an epidural.

For an epidural, you are given a local anasthetic (sp?) before they insert the larger needle so all you feel is the injection from the local. 

Either birthing option is completely valid and will probably come down to how you feel in the moment.  Every woman and every baby is different.  I would go into this educated (via Youtube and a good birthing class) about your options for pain relief and communicate your worries early on to your labor partner and the L&D nurses on the ward.  It is also a good idea to discuss your worries with your OB at your next appointment. 
    If there's something strange underneath the hood.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  If there's something weird and it don't look good.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  Immediately.  If it's new, painful, and possibly pregnancy related get your ass off the internet and call your doctor.  It's for your health and your child's. 

• I didn't get the epidural til I was 9cm dilated only because I didn't want to feel the actual birth part. The epidural did hurt for me though but it could also be because they put it in while I was having a contraction and I had back labor so it hurt back there anyway. I asked the doctor as soon as I got to the hospital when would it be to late to get the epidural for that reason. Also plan on doing that this time.
  • The numbing shots were worse than the epidural, the epidural felt more like a pressure/pinch. Now I'll have to remind myself that same thing when I go in for my spinal for my c-section. Wishing you all the best! And you're a warrior with or without medication. You've got this! 
  • I'm not sure that watching birthing videos on you tube will help because some are very outdated and show things like episiotomies, which aren't routine anymore. I know personally I watched a few videos and they scared me even more! I'd say birthing classes will help ease the anxiety-that's what I'm doing. I'm also doing a hospital tour that includes a Q&A with an anesthesiologist, hoping that helps too
  • I had such bad back labor with my first, I honestly don't even remember feeling the epidural at all.  But once it was in, it was such sweet relief! 
  • I'm having an "oh shit" moment and realizing I'm so scared to go through labor! I don't want any medications (that's my plan), well sometimes these BH hurt and I'm just thinking... Actual contractions are going to be so much worse! Ugh.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Hah we watched a birthing video during my birthing class where she didn't get an epidural and all she did during each contraction was moan a bit and sway... my first thought was, "well, heck! I can do that!" lol we'll see when I actually experience the pain. I'm also wanting to go the unmedicated route because I'd like to be able to move around, take advantage of the hot tub in my L&D room (hydrotherapy sounds spectacular), and have a quicker recovery post-delivery. 

That being said, if the pain really is too much to handle, I doubt I'll think much of the epidural needle if I've had so much pain already.
  • The epidural was heaven sent! I wanted to kiss the doctor! There is so much going on around you, that you wont be able to spend too much time sweating the small stuff. It gets crazy and hectic, they are in there prepping and directing traffic- youre just kind of along for the ride!
  • you should read the book "Hypnobirthing."  I got it at the library and it was an easy read that really eased all my fears.  It also helps you practice relaxation techniques that will help you stay calm during labor. Probably the most worthwhile book i've ever read. 
  • I'm scared of the stitches for if I tear.:/ this May me irrational but I herd from people that they can feel each stitch and screamed there heads off during that part.
  • I didn't have an epidural because I was birthing at home with midwives. Between labor, birthing, needing a catheter, and stitches, stitches were by far the easiest and least painful part. I can't speak on behalf of an epidural, the numbing for stitches was uncomfortable, but the only thing I really felt during the stitching was some tugging here and there. Oh, and the moaning and swaying thing? Yeah, that was a very "pretty" natural birth, some women are able to get in that mind frame and focus, but during transition I sure wasn't!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thank you guys so much really made me feel better :D
  • You won't feel the epidural. It's no big deal! And you see nothing, which makes it even better. Once you have your fIrst real contraction, you won't care if they stick needles all over your body!
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was nervous about the needle with my first as well, but honestly by the time I received it, I was in so much pain that I felt nothing at all!! Didn't even know he was done until he told me I could turn back into my back and noticed the massive change in my pain instantly! Will definitely have another one of I don't have to have a c-section.
  • Honestly the numbing needle hurt but I did not feel the epi being inserted only the sweet relief. I definitely thanked the anesthesiologist once it took effect.

I labored 9 hours during my induction without it and 10 hours after so I'm glad I had it for resting purposes. I'm planning to get one this time because I'm having twins and I want to be ready in case they need to do an emergency csection (I'd rather not get put under).
  • I'm having an "oh shit" moment and realizing I'm so scared to go through labor! I don't want any medications (that's my plan), well sometimes these BH hurt and I'm just thinking... Actual contractions are going to be so much worse! Ugh.
    Not necessarily...  My mom mistook actual labor for BH at the end of both of her pregnancies.  Went in for scheduled inductions at 42w both times and didn't end up needing them.  Both babies born within a few hours of going in.
  • kaybaee said:
    OK so I'm 8 months and I'm still kind of scared of labor and delivery I want to go natural but If I can't do it then I'll just get the epidural. But I also do not like needles . How bad does the epidural hurt?and which one would you all perfer?

I"m entirely with you on this fear right now. I go thru days where I'm like I can do it and then there are days where I am terrified! I am going to go the natural unmedicated route but sometimes I get so so scared I start thinking "F*** it knock me out and cut this baby out of me!" But when I'm back to my senses I'm much more terrified of being cut open and of  needles in my back. The videos do help me as well as reading about other's natural birth experiences (Ina May) not because I think "I'm going to be like them" but because this is most common way to give birth in time and to now in so many other countries. Sigh anyways, this is what I'm holding on to...