February 2016 Moms

Car seats and strollers

Re: Car seats and strollers

• Double stroller-
    City mini double or city select double

Hands down!
  • My advice is to decide how you will use your stroller and work backwards from there. We got a graco travel system with my son and it worked well for us, but we quickly realized that we really liked taking family walks around the neighborhood so my hubby got me an all terrain stroller for my birthday and I seriously love it so much. We still use the travel system stroller for travel though because it's lighter and easier to fold. Now we upgrading to a double stroller and I already know that I want another all terrain stroller.

For car seats we just picked whatever would work with our stroller. This time I'm having twins, so we're getting a more narrow car seat so that all three seats will fit in the backseat.
    BabyFruit Ticker Follow my baby story at: http://www.nycitified.blogspot.com/
  • Loading the player...
  • We got a graco travel system with my son and it worked well for us, but we quickly realized that we really liked taking family walks around the neighborhood so my hubby got me an all terrain stroller for my birthday and I seriously love it so much. We still use the travel system stroller for travel though because it's lighter and easier to fold..

We got a Graco travel system for our DS too.  I loved the infant carrier but hated the big bulky stroller it came with.  I didn't realize how heavy it was until I had to transport it back and forth between the babysitters.  We ended up buying a click n go because it was lightweight and did the job.  Plus it's compact and fit nicely in the trunk. 

After DS outgrew the infant carrier we got a Graco convertible car seat that we love.  Install was super easy and it'll last DS awhile.  Since we also needed a new stroller (I loathed the big bulky one) we got a Chicco Liteway Plus.  Love it!  It's incredibly lightweight, has storage below, the wheels don't jam, and DS can take a nap because it also reclines.

My advice to the FTM is take the stroller for a test drive but also take the weight into consideration.  Something I regret I didn't do.

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We did a lot of test driving for our first stroller and ended up with the Uppababy Vista - I love it so much. at the time we lived in the city and walked everywhere so the awesome storage basket and big canopy were essential. I love the bassinet feature too. It steers like a dream for me. When we had #2 we got the Bumbleride Indie twin and I like fr it too - it's a side by side but I thought it pushed much easier than a tandem. It also has a huge basket. I agree to think about what you will really be doing with the stroller and then choose something to match what you need. We don't live in the city anymore and I probably could have gotten something smaller for the double because we aren't using it as much.
    Due 3.27.14 (lame because I cannot figure out how to save a fun ticker.....)
  • I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but I'm officially confused at this point! From everything I've read, I'm going to want to have the infant car seats for twins. They say they're worth the money to have for the short time. That being said, is there a convertible car seat base that can be used for infant and toddler car seats? So that when we switch car seats, we won't have to switch bases as well. This would cut down on problems for the grandparents who will only be purchasing their own bases!
  • All I can say is from personal experience go to a store and actually try it out and see how you can handle them. I made the mistake of letting H pick out our travel system and sure it was easy for him but me being with LO all day and using the gear more the car seat was heavy and hard to get in and out and the stroller was a hassle to deal with, so just make sure its something comfortable for you
  • OMG I am so overwhelmed!!! How does one even begin trying to choose a car seat and stroller?!? There are soooo many choices in style and options.... Help!!!!

I just ordered a book called Barginbaby off of Amazon. Unfortunately I don'treally have that many friends that have children. Supposedly the book gives you everything from buyers reviews and what nots. It was only $10 I hear it's well worth it from a lady I work with...

• SoSiriusSoSirius member
    edited September 2015
    @sbegnaud93 convertible carseats don't have bases. You either get multiple or want to get a lightweight easy install seat and make sure everyone knows how to install it correctly every time.

I forgot who mentioned it but it's not true that only expensive car seats are good. We have the Cosco Scenera Next for airplane travel and it works perfectly/passed all the same tests. It's only $46. It will last until 40lbs or 40" (which ever comes first). We will actually be using it for baby #2 and if we find the convertible too inconvenient we'll go back to an infant seat.

@VitaLuna, 18 months is incredible! My son was really small and he got to the 30" max by 15 months. He loved the Keyfit but infant seats can get a bit sweaty.

Join "Car Seats for the Littles" on Facebook. You'll learn SO MUCH. It can be a bit intimidating at first but they are so so helpful.
  • Also our Babies R Us had a free in store car seat class that was really helpful. They went over all the different types, installation, safety etc. You might try looking into that
  • I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but I'm officially confused at this point! From everything I've read, I'm going to want to have the infant car seats for twins. They say they're worth the money to have for the short time. That being said, is there a convertible car seat base that can be used for infant and toddler car seats? So that when we switch car seats, we won't have to switch bases as well. This would cut down on problems for the grandparents who will only be purchasing their own bases!

in your situation it may be easier for the grandparents to buy their own car seat. You can get convertibles for under $50. The point of the base is for the infant seat to snap in and out. Convertibles buckle directly into the car and you take the baby in and out. You can move a convertible from car to car but it isn't quite as easy as an infant seat.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Feb 2016 Siggy Challenge, Favorite Thing About Fall
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • @sbegnaud93 exactly what everyone else said, you only need a base for the infant seat (and even then it's not 100% necessary, because you can actually install the car seats with just a seatbelt). It's more important to make sure that the car seat you select will actually fit in the cars rear facing without touching the seats in the front.

Also when you're picking a double stroller, you'll want to make sure that your double stroller can accommodate 2 car seats because we learned that not all of them can do it! We're having twins too, and I think we've basically settled on the mountain buggy duet stroller and Chico keyfit car seats.
    BabyFruit Ticker Follow my baby story at: http://www.nycitified.blogspot.com/
  • I am wondering if it's worth it to get both a jogger and a regular stroller? I really want the Bob Ironman jogger because I do a lot of distance running, and plan to train for an ultra marathon next year. I heard that the joggers are usually not great for everyday getting around, because the fixed front wheel is not easy to steer. So would it be worth it to get another stroller for regular outings? We need two carseats anyway...

Has anyone had experience with joggers who could shed some light? TIA :)

• @ jaimeruns I'm still debating whether to get both too. I'm definitely going to get a walking stroller but dont know if it's worth getting a jogging stroller as well only bc most likely my husband would be watching the baby when I go for a run.
  • bbax44bbax44 member
    edited September 2015

@NoelBird in your situation it may be easier for the grandparents to buy their own car seat. You can get convertibles for under $50. The point of the base is for the infant seat to snap in and out. Convertibles buckle directly into the car and you take the baby in and out. You can move a convertible from car to car but it isn't quite as easy as an infant seat.

---------------
    Convertible carseat for 50?? Where? The ones I've seen have been like 200-300? I'm probably just looking in the wrong places, help a girl out!
  • Katty422 said:

@ jaimeruns I'm still debating whether to get both too. I'm definitely going to get a walking stroller but dont know if it's worth getting a jogging stroller as well only bc most likely my husband would be watching the baby when I go for a run.

We got the Bob Revolution Flex as an everyday stroller and the front wheel is not fixed. It's WAY easier to maneuver than the other strollers we tried.
    Feb '16 October Siggy Challenge: Favorite Candy

• @bbax44 I mentioned the Cosco Scenera Next is around $46. It lasts until 40lbs or 40". It doesn't have bells and whistles but it is just as safe as any other seat. The Graco Size4Me, Fit4Me, MySize can also be found on sale for about $120 with a no rethread harnass, strap covers, and premium latch anchors. Both great extended rear facing seats.
  • jaimeruns said:

I am wondering if it's worth it to get both a jogger and a regular stroller? I really want the Bob Ironman jogger because I do a lot of distance running, and plan to train for an ultra marathon next year. I heard that the joggers are usually not great for everyday getting around, because the fixed front wheel is not easy to steer. So would it be worth it to get another stroller for regular outings? We need two carseats anyway...

Has anyone had experience with joggers who could shed some light? TIA :)

I would get a nice jogger and a less expensive lightweight stroller. We have this one...

• Just a reminder that newborns can't go for a run with you until they are older.
  • @bbax44  Walmart has 3-4 that are under $50. If you search convertible car set on walmart.com you can find them. Toysrus has a couple for $59 and Target has a couple under $50. My parents got one of the cheap Evenflo ones and it worked fine. 

The convertibles I have in my two cars are around $130. I wonder if you are looking at All-in-one seats. Convertible just means it works rear or front facing. All-in-ones work for the entire time a child needs a car seat and changes from an infant seat to front facing to a booster seat.
  • Erinka said:

Just a reminder that newborns can't go for a run with you until they are older.

Oh yeah of course... I think it was 6 or 8 months depending on how they are doing individually right?
  • bbax44 said:

@NoelBird in your situation it may be easier for the grandparents to buy their own car seat. You can get convertibles for under $50. The point of the base is for the infant seat to snap in and out. Convertibles buckle directly into the car and you take the baby in and out. You can move a convertible from car to car but it isn't quite as easy as an infant seat.

---------------
    Convertible carseat for 50?? Where? The ones I've seen have been like 200-300? I'm probably just looking in the wrong places, help a girl out!

I know the Costco Scenera is around $40. We bought one and had it shipped to FIL in NY for us to use on a visit. It's fine and passes all the safety standards of course, but for an everyday seat I wouldn't do it. It was hard as a rock! DS kept complaining and I didn't blame him.

• I'm obsessed with the uppababy mesa car seat and cruz stroller! I still use the cruz with my 2 year old :)
  • We went with a graco travel system to start. Loved it! Mostly the fact that you can click and go with out disturbing baby. When it came time for a larger seat we cheaped out with a safety first guide 65. HATE it. It's super wobbly no matter how tight we get it. We ended up putting that in dh's car which we don't use often. Now I have an evenflo triumph 65. Love it!! It's not too much more, it has its own attached base and doesn't wobble, it's got a super easy function to loosen the straps and tighten them. It is bulky though so keep that in mind if your car is little. Now we are going to be re using our infant seat but buying a contours options double stroller that works with said seat.
    Baby 2.0!
    BabyFruit Ticker

"http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/32499b"
     28 Years old DH 29
    Married since 8/7/10
  • We went with a graco travel system to start. Loved it! Mostly the fact that you can click and go with out disturbing baby. When it came time for a larger seat we cheaped out with a safety first guide 65. HATE it. It's super wobbly no matter how tight we get it. We ended up putting that in dh's car which we don't use often. Now I have an evenflo triumph 65. Love it!! It's not too much more, it has its own attached base and doesn't wobble, it's got a super easy function to loosen the straps and tighten them. It is bulky though so keep that in mind if your car is little. Now we are going to be re using our infant seat but buying a contours options double stroller that works with said seat.
    We have an Evenflo Triumph in both cards for almost 6 years. They lasted through two kids and were still in great shape. We just traded them in at BRU because they were expiring so we got highback boosters for DS. I can't say enough good things about those seats!

• We just got our Baby Jogger City Mini GT, adapter and Britax B Safe car seat. We set it up and it's perfect. With coupons and clever finds we paid under $500 for it all.
  • @jaimeruns I would recommend the BOB and also getting a cheaper umbrella stroller for short walks, trips, etc.
  • I think I am going with the City Mini GT but I can't decide between the Graco click and connect or the Chicco KeyFit or the Britax car seat with an adaptor. Any moms love their car seat with the Mini - I am looking for lightweight, snap in, and easy to use....
  • ErinkaErinka member
    edited September 2015
    Yes we bought the Bob/britax B Safe to go with our City Mini GT. Infant adapter is super easy and easy to get baby in and out.

We spent a lot of time finding the right car seat. We did at first buy the chicco keyfit but that adapter is terrible and you can't use the city mini gt canopy with that setup. So we returned it and bought the Bob/Britax B Safe. Happy we did!!
  • We are registering for (and will gladly purchase on our own) a couple of graco infant car seats. I don't really like infant seats as I would rather spend my money on a convertible seat and wear baby in stores and such when they are little, but with two coming I don't think that's as practical, so we're going for infant seats. We chose one that is rated for newborns 4lbs and up after the doctor pointed out that some couples with twins have had to stay in the hospital until babies hit 5lbs because of the type of carseat they had. We also registered for a double stroller (also by graco) that will allow both infant seats to hook on.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
                    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • @camusoh2011, make sure the harnass straps will come from below the shoulders. If you know the seat name I can find the review (you can also Google the name+CSFTL and a review should pop up). Sometimes even when babies meet the weight requirement, the harnass slots are too high. They need to be below because otherwise baby can be thrown up and against the straps while rearfacing and that causes injuries. Hope that's helpful :).
  • I read that infants will often sleep in their stroller when little, so it has to be flat, right? But the strollers look like seats. Are they flat? Where does that flat bit come in?
  • camusoh2011camusoh2011 member
    edited September 2015
    @SoSirius it's the graco snugride click connect 30 that we are looking at. 

ETA: It's the same brand DH and his ex used with their daughter who was a premie. He said it worked really well for her when she was so little, though I didn't see her in it personally (obviously). I wouldn't have thought of the strap height.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
                    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • @camusoh2011, just checked and that's a great seat for preemies! :-)

@oxfordlanding, before babies can sit up, you'll click the infant seat into the stroller and they can sleep in there. Afterwards, it doesn't have to be flat. My stroller has an adjustable back that leans back but DS will fall asleep either way. Some strollers do have bassinet attachments if you won't be using an infant car seat. You do want to avoid chin to chest but otherwise you should be fine.
  • I read that infants will often sleep in their stroller when little, so it has to be flat, right? But the strollers look like seats. Are they flat? Where does that flat bit come in?
    Most of the time, people attach their car seat to the stroller for infants and they sleep in this. Otherwise you have to get a stroller that accomadates infants. Some strollers do recline all the way and they could sleep here. Personally I never bothered with this, you would probably wake the baby either putting them in the stroller or taking them out, I preferred just using the car seat when they were that young.
  • I'm having a hard time deciding between strollers as well. I've narrowed it down to Baby jogger brand (they definitely move the best IMO, and I love the brake on the handle vs the wheel). However, I'm having a hard time deciding between the City Mini GT and the City Select. The CMGT is easy to fold, has an adjustable handle (my husband and I have a 12" height difference), and can also be used as a jogging stroller. We also are big hikers and we like the all-terrain flexibility. However, there are NO accessories at Babies R Us to add to our registry (we would like the car seat adapter, the Pram, and belly bar).

The CS allows the ability to expand to accommodate 2 children (we don't know when we will have a 2nd child), and the seat can be adjusted to face forward or backward. Also, all accessories that we will need can be placed on our registry at Babies R Us.

We've already decided on the Britax B Safe infant carrier - it's just a little annoying that Babies R Us doesn't appear to offer any accessories (besides the parent console) for the City Mini GT. We would have to order accy's directly from BabyJogger.com (not a huge deal; but it would be nice to have this all on our BRU registry!

Anyone have experience with both Baby Joggers I mentioned above? What would you recommend for a family with 1 babe on the way?
  • Oh man have I gone through so many strollers over the last few years. I can't seem to find one I love ha. Anyways, right now I'm using a double (sit and stand) that doesn't work for an infant so I have to buy another one again. My two toddlers will be 3+4 so I'm kind of feeling like I have to go the double route again for the 3 year old. But I really want something light and small a
    ameliejoe said:
    I'm having a hard time deciding between strollers as well. I've narrowed it down to Baby jogger brand (they definitely move the best IMO, and I love the brake on the handle vs the wheel). However, I'm having a hard time deciding between the City Mini GT and the City Select. The CMGT is easy to fold, has an adjustable handle (my husband and I have a 12" height difference), and can also be used as a jogging stroller. We also are big hikers and we like the all-terrain flexibility. However, there are NO accessories at Babies R Us to add to our registry (we would like the car seat adapter, the Pram, and belly bar). The CS allows the ability to expand to accommodate 2 children (we don't know when we will have a 2nd child), and the seat can be adjusted to face forward or backward. Also, all accessories that we will need can be placed on our registry at Babies R Us. We've already decided on the Britax B Safe infant carrier - it's just a little annoying that Babies R Us doesn't appear to offer any accessories (besides the parent console) for the City Mini GT. We would have to order accy's directly from BabyJogger.com (not a huge deal; but it would be nice to have this all on our BRU registry! Anyone have experience with both Baby Joggers I mentioned above? What would you recommend for a family with 1 babe on the way?
    We just went through this decision and I think it really depends on what features you are wanting. The CS was way too bulky for us. It's way heavier too. I can't remember what site it was but there was a site comparing the pro's and con's of each. The baby jogger mini gt won hands down. But if you are thinking of having another child soon-ish the select makes sense. And the select does have cool features. Once we tried both there was no question for us. After already having 2 kids and lugging around all kinds of strollers we wanted something compact and simple so we bought the city mini GT. Lots of people love the separate seat and the forward/backward facing but it really just ended up being an extra step and a pain for us. I have a few friends who swear by the city select though so it's definitely dependent on what is important feature-wise to you in a stroller!
    Baby #3 due February. Dx with Spina Bifida Myelo  "good things are coming down the road, just don't stop walking"
  • ameliejoe said:
    I'm having a hard time deciding between strollers as well. I've narrowed it down to Baby jogger brand (they definitely move the best IMO, and I love the brake on the handle vs the wheel). However, I'm having a hard time deciding between the City Mini GT and the City Select. The CMGT is easy to fold, has an adjustable handle (my husband and I have a 12" height difference), and can also be used as a jogging stroller. We also are big hikers and we like the all-terrain flexibility. However, there are NO accessories at Babies R Us to add to our registry (we would like the car seat adapter, the Pram, and belly bar). The CS allows the ability to expand to accommodate 2 children (we don't know when we will have a 2nd child), and the seat can be adjusted to face forward or backward. Also, all accessories that we will need can be placed on our registry at Babies R Us. We've already decided on the Britax B Safe infant carrier - it's just a little annoying that Babies R Us doesn't appear to offer any accessories (besides the parent console) for the City Mini GT. We would have to order accy's directly from BabyJogger.com (not a huge deal; but it would be nice to have this all on our BRU registry! Anyone have experience with both Baby Joggers I mentioned above? What would you recommend for a family with 1 babe on the way?

We were told that the city mini gt COULDN'T be used as a jogging stroller really. Like it would be alright but isn't really built for that so it might not hold up. That was from the woman at the store. Maybe there's more info online somewhere, I will look into it. We like that one too, but are still considering our options. Bumbleride indie or a BOB are on the list also right now
  • FunnyGal18FunnyGal18 member
    edited September 2015
    ameliejoe said:

I'm having a hard time deciding between strollers as well. I've narrowed it down to Baby jogger brand (they definitely move the best IMO, and I love the brake on the handle vs the wheel). However, I'm having a hard time deciding between the City Mini GT and the City Select. The CMGT is easy to fold, has an adjustable handle (my husband and I have a 12" height difference), and can also be used as a jogging stroller. We also are big hikers and we like the all-terrain flexibility. However, there are NO accessories at Babies R Us to add to our registry (we would like the car seat adapter, the Pram, and belly bar).

The CS allows the ability to expand to accommodate 2 children (we don't know when we will have a 2nd child), and the seat can be adjusted to face forward or backward. Also, all accessories that we will need can be placed on our registry at Babies R Us.

We've already decided on the Britax B Safe infant carrier - it's just a little annoying that Babies R Us doesn't appear to offer any accessories (besides the parent console) for the City Mini GT. We would have to order accy's directly from BabyJogger.com (not a huge deal; but it would be nice to have this all on our BRU registry!

Anyone have experience with both Baby Joggers I mentioned above? What would you recommend for a family with 1 babe on the way?

Despite the name the city mini joggers are not actually jogging strollers, if my memory serves me right. You would need to get the baby jogger summit 3x for actual jogging.
    https://www.lucieslist.com/gear-guides/jogging-strollers/

We have the City Mini and I love it. It has the smallest width for maneuvering through aisles. There are a couple safety issues that come with it but you really need to be careful coming up on the curb because it only has one wheel in the front. You also must never hang bags off of the handle because the weight will tip the stroller over even with the baby placed on top in the carrier. I love how easy it is to fold up. The wheels are pretty nice too.

Somebody up thread said that they liked the Britax carseat in conjunction with the jogger. In contrast, I had the Chicco key fit and liked how light it was and easy to take in and out of the car. It's just a matter of personal preference, really.

We tried out the strollers in buybuybaby and they have all of the accessories online plus they do free shipping if you order it in the store. They also frequently hand out 20% off coupons in the mail for each item.

• Okay I am back lurking because I didn't want to start a new discussion. Does anyone know the best way to look into safety ratings for travel systems? I've seen so many different sets, all priced pretty great because of holiday sales but don't know how to check out their safety ): please help meeeeeee
  • We used Consumer Reports to research safety of our crib, car seat, and stroller! You have to pay to use but we already had and found it helpful.