October 2015 Moms

Fundal Height Measurement decreasing :( at 37 weeks

I had my 37 wk. check up today and my measurement went from 34 @ 36 wks. to 33 @ 37 wks. has anyone else experienced this? My doctor didn't seem overly concerned but double checked the measurement again and scheduled an ultrasound for my next visit. Since I left the office I have grown more concerned, I am calling to see if I can get in tomorrow for the ultrasound. I am under a lot of stress and really need to ease my mind and make sure my LO is doing ok! 

Re: Fundal Height Measurement decreasing :( at 37 weeks

• Is it possible baby has dropped farther into your pelvis? I'm not 100% sure but it seems that could be a reason.
  • I suppose it could be possible... the doctor did say she felt her head when doing my exam. I have only gained 16lbs thus far, thought maybe that was an issue but she didn't seem to think it was a big deal. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I measured 30cm at 30 weeks and 27cm at 31 weeks. My doctor sent me for an ultrasound but also said that it could just be the baby's position. Everything looked great on the ultrasound and she measured right where she should. At my 32 week dr appt I measured 31cm. Fundal heights can be really inaccurate, so don't stress too much. Best of luck with the ultrasound!
  • Thank you AshleeM7784 !! That definitely gives me some reassurance. I had heard of people measuring incorrect ....but the going forward then back was something new to me. 

• I measured 32cm today at 34+3 and my dr was concerned and did a sono and baby girl was right on target in measurement. Dr said not to worry and fundal heights can be inaccurate. (I also have only gained 18lbs, which is neither here nor there but just mentioning maybe it's a factor). I was just thankful to see my baby again!! Hoping the best for you too!
  • Thanks lindsayp916! I feel better by the moment, so glad that I posted. And so glad to hear all of your LO are doing well. Now all I need to do is keep her at bay until after moving day 9/24, lol. 

• My fundal height dropped add I asked my obs if that was a bad sign and she was like no! The baby is engaging, it's nothing to worry about
  • Your fundal height is only the size of your uterus, not the baby. It means next to nothing. I measured perfect week for week but continued to have a 9.7 lb baby. My dr told me this time around I'm measuring exactly week for week, and another over 9 lbs baby. She told me the fundal height means absolutely nothing !
  • My doctor doesn't even measure Fundal height...it really doesn't tell you anything about the baby.
  • Mine decreased significantly during my first pregnancy at week 37 and I went for an ultrasound. Sure enough, the baby's head had engaged so I don't think it is cause for concern but I would call for confirmation from your doctor if it will put your mind at ease.
  • It's because you've most likely dropped. I had the same thing yesterday at 38 weeks :-)
  • Same thing happened to me between week 28 (measuring 28) and week 32 (measuring 27). The ultrasound had him at 58th percentile!
  • lalenalalena member
    edited September 2015
    Usually as you get closer to delivery and your baby goes further engaged into the pelvis, the fundal height decreases. Fundal height measurements are not entirely accurate either. If your Dr doesn't seem concerned, then you're probably fine.
  • Totally normal. Fundal height measurements don't matter once you're further along. At 38 weeks i measured 36 which just means the baby dropped. You just want to pay attention to fetal movement still because that's your best indication of how lo is doing.