Food Allergy
Options

New to food allergies

our third baby is 10 months old and pretty much from birth has been a hard baby. Constipation, eczema, not sleeping well, etc.

I happened to read an article about gluten intolerance before his last check up and brought it up to his dr. She agreed and referred us to an allergist and we see him in a couple weeks.

For now, I've taken gluten out of LOs diet. I'm curious how long it took after a diet change before seeing changes in baby? We've never dealt with food allergies, I'm just hoping to get some relief for him soon!

Re: New to food allergies

• Options
    I know this can be hard to go through- good for you for advocating for your little one!!
    The thing is, I think every child has a different time frame for allergy effects. My daughter had to be put on Zyrtec for a month to clear the allergens out of her system. Other kids see an immediate difference when the food is excluded from the diet.
    The thing about celiac is that it is different than a normal allergy. (My mom and brother have celiac). An allergy is a reaction to something you have ingested, touched, been exposed to somehow. Celiac is your body actually not being able to digest gluten. So, I think the timelines on that are different than with an allergy, but I don't know enough about it to help you.
    So, sorry if this was pretty much useless to you, but this board really isn't that active, and I didn't want you feeling ignored when no one responded!
  • Options
    I didn't know there was a difference! Thanks for the response!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My DS1 has milk, soy, egg, tree nut and peanut allergies. He was a hard baby but once we figured out the allergies he became much much better and happier! An allergist is Def where you need to start. I've been told it can take up to a week for it to clear your system once it has been removed. However we have seen resolution of his eczema within 3-4 days of him accidentally eating a food with soy. Hang in there and keep advocating for your baby!