March 2016 Moms

Question Thread - "Stupid" or not - just ask away

Re: Question Thread - "Stupid" or not - just ask away

• SparkE82 said:

So my doctor (my general physician, not my OB) prescribed me Econazole Nitrate for two spots of ringworm that I managed to pick up from the gym (I am prone to this skin condition for some reason, always have been). The Dr. knows I am pregnant, and also knows I have a hard time getting rid of this particular skin issue from past episodes. After picking up my prescription, I noticed it is a type C product for pregnant women. Meaning only use if the benefits outweigh the risks; there is no info on whether or not this topical cream is harmful to an unborn baby.......part of me is freaking out, the other part of me is saying relax its only two tiny spots so we aren't even using that much of the cream and chances are the baby won't be affected.......Should I be freaking out, or listening to my rational side?? (Other creams that are pregnancy safe have been tried and failed)

I personally wouldn't worry. I have to take asthma medication that is class C and there is no way around it, I took them the whole time with DD and everything was fine. What class C means is that it hasn't been studied enough to conclusively say it is/isn't safe in pregnancy. So usually there are no known risks, they just can't say with 100% certainty that there isn't. I have had to take several additional medications as well this pregnancy, I am having a ton of trouble with BV and yeast, and will all of these my doctor was confident that they weren't going to cause any harm. 
  • And since your medication is a topical cream, it would probably have an even lower chance of getting to your baby since you're not ingesting it. There shouldn't be much that is even absorbed through your skin. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Hey guys, just wondering--I'm planning to quit my job and become a SAHM once the baby comes, but... uh... how long before my due date should I do that? (Assuming I feel well enough to keep working; if I really don't I will stop earlier. It's only a part time job).

I was thinking I'd quit at the end of February and give myself around 2 weeks before the due date, but... should I give myself more time? Or is it safe to give myself less time? What did y'all do, those went from working to staying at home?
    I worked up until 3 days before my due date. I think maybe work up to a week until you're due (baby could come early too). I don't think you'll need 2 weeks to prepare. Just my opinion :)

BabyFruit Ticker

• Hey guys, just wondering--I'm planning to quit my job and become a SAHM once the baby comes, but... uh... how long before my due date should I do that? (Assuming I feel well enough to keep working; if I really don't I will stop earlier. It's only a part time job).

I was thinking I'd quit at the end of February and give myself around 2 weeks before the due date, but... should I give myself more time? Or is it safe to give myself less time? What did y'all do, those went from working to staying at home?

I had three weeks to wait after the end of the school year til my son was born. Those three weeks felt like another trimester. I'd say a week is good.

Two different experiences: DS1 I stopped working 2 1/2 weeks before duedate, ended up having him 15 days early - so I only really got to enjoy 2 days off.  DS2 I stopped working 3 weeks before duedate.  He was 3 days late.  But I was super uncomfortable and it was awful to keep working - second floor so lots of stairs - elevator would have worked but it was way farther than the stairs.  I think I'm going to do what I did with DS1 and go 2 1/2 weeks early again since I'm due on a Wednesday (I like to finish out weeks of work).
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Our family of 5 is complete!!  Love our boys!

• I started using young living essential oils about 3 months before my BFP and really enjoy using them but I've not found a list of "Do NOT use". I really enjoy some of the blends but I'm not sure if all the oils in them are pregnancy safe so I've err on the side of caution and just not used them so if anyone knows which oils are a no-no would be awesome?!?!?!
  • Parker16772Parker16772 member
    edited September 2015
    @ecwk I had ultrasounds at 15 and 21 weeks with DS and his penis was pretty obvious at both. Like you said I would just let the tech know y'all were team green and they can have you look away when they get to that area. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

My boss decided to take me off the schedule 2 weeks before my due date. We have a very small staff (group home) so she needed to cover her bases and have someone scheduled. I assume she'll do the same this time. I would have preferred to keep working up until delivery, because those last few weeks really drag by, but I understand her logic as well.
    If you do take those last weeks off, it's nice to take that time and keep busy by making some freezer meals, working on a hobby, or getting a little pampering for yourself!

I worked at Starbucks until my due date. But I was going on leave for 12 weeks and needed every dollar. My DD was 2 weeks late so I still had plenty of waiting time. I quit working at the bar around 6/7 months because I knew I wasn't going back to it and I hated it once I became obviously pregnant. If you're not taking leave I would wait it out, see how you feel and once you can't take it any longer quit (with 2 weeks notice, of course).
  • I worked until the day I went into labor. I took the Monday of that week of thinking that might be the day and drove myself bananas. Work was a wonderful distraction for me. However, I wasn't going to transition to being a sahm.
  • Ok so I was reading the thread about second time + moms feeling movement and maybe I should have posted this there but I didn't want it to get sidetracked. Anyway I was wondering why second time moms would apparently feel movement sooner? Is it just because they know from experience what they're looking for? I can see how they would show sooner than FTMs but I don't get how they would physically be able to feel movement sooner just because they've been pregnant before. Just genuinely curious :)

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I agree with @skruhmin Also, my dr said that if your subsequent babies are close then that would also cause you to feel them sooner. He described mine as a "relaxed veteran uterus" (this will be my 3rd in 3 years, the older three were 11,9 & 8 years ago). Didn't know if I was suppose to smile at him or not lol.
    March '16 December Siggy Challenge - Favorite Christmas Movies/Quotes
  • 2nd or more pregnancy mom's typically feel movement sooner for several reasons....they "know" sensation and can distinguish it easier, the uterus is more pliable and also comes up from pelvic bone earlier. Basically the uterus is experienced so upon signal just does it's thing. This is also why there's earlier round ligament pains, BH contractions ect. Learned this last week when we couldn't find heartbeat and Dr found my uterus already at belly bottom at 12 weeks instead of tucked in pelvis still...also why I'm showing so much but weight gain has maintained after an initial gain.
    Answered tons of questions as to why this 3rd pregnancy seems to be so much different!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • mistygenovesemistygenovese member
    edited September 2015
    Random question: FTM here, DH and I would like to start stocking up on diapers and wipes and have no idea what type to go with. How did you/are you deciding which brand and type to go with? There are just so many out and it's a little intimidating for someone who hasn't really been around babies. My DH has sensitive skin so I'm also worried we are going to go with one kind and it will make LO break out. Any thoughts, ideas and input would much greatly appreciated!
  • mistygenovesemistygenovese member
    edited September 2015
    @kh1824 Thank you for the advice! I had been looking at pampers sensitive skin wipes online and they had pretty great reviews but it's always nice to hear from someone who actually uses them. 

I was curious about how long they would end up needing each size of diaper so it's good to know to not over do it!
  • @SadiePantsR that's a fantastic idea. I hadn't even thought of just putting the money in an envelope but like the idea a lot and I think we just might do that. Thank you!
  • @mistygenovese we also use Pampers and haven't have leakage issues and the sensitive skin wipes are awesome :)
  • @mistygenovese we use pamper sensitive skin wipes as well. But we use huggies 12 hour protection diapers. He tended to pee through pampers diapers.
  • My hubby and I just went on a short vacation and of course, he got a room with a whirlpool tub. I couldn't resist! I sat in it for less than 10 minutes and all of a sudden my brain clicked on I panicked thinking get about the little bean I'm carrying. I couldn't get out fast enough! I had a MMC in April but am now happily and healthy at 14w3d. I'm MOSTLY convinced all is well, just wondering if anyone has any input or experience with this? Thanks and wishing you all happy and healthy pregnancies
  • My hubby and I just went on a short vacation and of course, he got a room with a whirlpool tub. I couldn't resist! I sat in it for less than 10 minutes and all of a sudden my brain clicked on I panicked thinking get about the little bean I'm carrying. I couldn't get out fast enough! I had a MMC in April but am now happily and healthy at 14w3d. I'm MOSTLY convinced all is well, just wondering if anyone has any input or experience with this? Thanks and wishing you all happy and healthy pregnancies

How are YOU feeling? The biggest concern is overheating because baby can't regulate temperature. Are you hot and can't cool down? If you feel fine everything is probably ok. I would drink a ton of water and try to stay cool if you can.
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• @aschneider89 Was it a whirlpool bath? Or a jacuzzi? Because I've definitely taken super warm/hot baths while pregnant and have been fine. You shouldn't worry about whirlpools, just temperature. Jacuzzi's have heaters so they continually heat up the water which is why we should stay away from them.
  • I've seen it mentioned a couple of times already, but what on Earth is lightening crotch!!?!! It sounds terrifying. Please tell me not everyone goes through this?

December Siggy Challenge

imageimageimage
  • Thanks ladies! Ahhh the road to motherhood is so pleasant... /:)

December Siggy Challenge

imageimageimage
  • I've seen it mentioned a couple of times already, but what on Earth is lightening crotch!!?!! It sounds terrifying. Please tell me not everyone goes through this?

My doctor said it is from the baby pushing on nerves. It's hard for me to explain how it feels but I think lightening is a good description. It usually starts in my pelvis and goes down my legs. It's over quick but isn't pleasant.
  • i am *WAY* late catching up on this thread bc for some reason it kept loading empty, but ..
    @lindscnn1 my oldest RF'd until he was 4.5y (he's 5 now) and my current middle little turned 4 in august and is still RF'ing - no plans to turn her until she reaches the RF limits of her seat.
    @ecwk sometimes those anatomy scans are super obvious even to an untrained eye, so if you don't want to accidentally see, make sure you tell the tech to let you know before going down below - it happened to my best friend; she really wanted her last baby to be a surprise and the tech accidentally flashed a perfect penis shot and she was so disappointed (not that she was finally having a boy, but that they didn't get to have that amazing moment at birth). she is still resentful about it (honestly, i would be too). i always clarify a million times and make sure i avert my eyes while they check that out.
    @sparkE82 i wouldn't worry about the topical antifungal either. i hate ringworm!
    i hated Pampers dipes and wipes, and i love Huggies when we are using sposies. that being said, our hospital uses Pampers and i make sure i grab all the newborn Pampers they stock my room with before i get discharged bc yay free diapers!
    5th pregnancy, and i always wondered what lightning crotch was too, until last week. holy shit ouch!

March 2016 siggy: babies - expectation vs reality

Brian's Whovian wife (5/'09) 
    AP, BF, BW, CD, CLW, CS, ERF, Catholic mama 
    to Evan (7/'10), Clare (8/'11), Dean (3/'14), ^F(12/'15)^, Rose (3/'16)
    *no longer a Timelord ~ WibblyWobbly BabyWaby is here!*
    <3 but i still feel bigger on the inside <3
     Autism mama! 
  • Kath525 said:
    I've seen it mentioned a couple of times already, but what on Earth is lightening crotch!!?!! It sounds terrifying. Please tell me not everyone goes through this?
    My doctor said it is from the baby pushing on nerves. It's hard for me to explain how it feels but I think lightening is a good description. It usually starts in my pelvis and goes down my legs. It's over quick but isn't pleasant.
    It seriously feels like your crotch is getting struck by lightning - as in sharp, sudden, almost electric.  Sometimes it stops you in your tracks.
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Hey guys, just wondering.. Are your boobs different sizes now? I've always had one a little bigger than the other, but my husband couldn't even tell. Now I have almost a cup size difference! Anyone else have this?
  • lamell said:

Hey guys, just wondering.. Are your boobs different sizes now? I've always had one a little bigger than the other, but my husband couldn't even tell. Now I have almost a cup size difference! Anyone else have this?

Yes, I have this problem. Not a full cup size difference but about a 1/2. And like @skruhmin said, you will more than likely have a dominant breast while bf. The best advice I can give on trying to keep them as similar in size as possible is to alternate sides when bf. :)
  • lamell said:

Hey guys, just wondering.. Are your boobs different sizes now? I've always had one a little bigger than the other, but my husband couldn't even tell. Now I have almost a cup size difference! Anyone else have this?

Yea. One is about half a cup size bigger. Luckily it's not very noticeable through my shirt.
  • Do you ladies know if it's ok to break up prenatal vitamins or blend them into a protein shake/smoothie? I am still having a terrible time taking mine. If I take it before bed, it gives me bad insomnia, but if I take it during the day, even after a big meal, I get super nauseous...

I know some medicines you can break up, but others you really aren't supposed too...just not sure about prenatals.
    Pregnancy Ticker