Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Transition to crib pep talk!

I need a pep talk, or words of encouragement! My baby girl just turned three months and I'm trying to get the courage to start putting her in the crib for the night. I'm not even sure if I really need to have her sleeping in her crib at this age, but I've read it is better to start early before the baby develops bad sleeping habits. The problem is I worry about SIDS. I also sort of have a weird feeling like I'm abandoning her to be alone in this big room all by herself. But mostly I worry about her safety. She needs to be swaddled or she won't stay asleep, but I worry about her safety. Any moms who can support me or offer any advice?

Re: Transition to crib pep talk!

• Is there any way you can fit the crib temporarily in your room? That way you can keep an eye on her but she still gets used to the 'big bed.'
  • KLButler86KLButler86 member
    edited July 2015
    I transitioned my daughter at 2 months old (she will be 3 months on August 8th). We were having our floor repaired in our bedroom, so I thought it was a good a time as any. To make me feel better I slept in the guest room with the door open, plus I have a video monitor. She slept great her first night, me I kept getting up to check the monitor. She sleeps great in her room; even falls asleep on her own watching the mobile. The other night I let her sleep in our room because we painted in her room and I didn't want her breathing the air. She is such a wiggler in her sleep that I kept hearing her thinking she was waking up. No such thing, she was sound asleep. I learned after that not to feel guilty about letting her sleep in her room. It's better for both of us. You can do this!
  • Loading the player...
  • I would love to, but no,it won't fit. Our bedroom is too small. Wish I had a bigger place!
  • Thanks for sharing you experience. Here's to hoping!
  • Im on night number two with her. Last night she woke up three times till I took her back into our bedroom and back into her usual bed, the pack n play. Crossing my fingers for a good night.
  • davey5davey5 member
    Bedsharing parent: Trust your instincts. If you're not ready to switch to the crib, that's ok - there is ALWAYS time to wait. Also, if you do go for it (which is sounds like you already have), and things are tough, it's ok to go back to what worked for both of you and you can try again later if that's what feels right to you. You won't cause your little one to have bad sleeping habits, especially at this age. Remember, your little one was inside you and non-stop with you during the length of your pregnancy and is still getting to know this huge world and needs you. Also, at this age, they are becoming more aware each day by how big this world is.

I tried getting my little one (now 4 months) to sleep in the crib and bassinet quite a few times, but only because everyone around me shunned bedsharing. However, every time I put him down, something inside me kept telling me that this was very wrong, he needs to be near me. It felt unnatural to have him away from me. I started cosleeping (and did it safely with a lot of research), and he has slept so well, I've slept a lot better, and I feel more at peace because it honestly feels like he is safer like this.

Remember, they are babies, they're so new to this life, you are their whole world, and it's okay to do things at YOUR OWN pace, no matter what anyone says. Honestly, no matter what ANYONE says.

It is so important to always listen to your gut. Also, it's equally important to be compassionate with yourself and your baby if things don't go as planned. Great that you're looking for support and all the best!
  • You could start with naps and then work your way to night time. We're in the midst of this now. Also, if you're worried about the swaddle there are many sleeping bag type products on the market that can give you peace if mind. Good luck - baby will let you know what she needs and it's okay if you need more time too!
    DS born 10/25/11 **  DD born 6/24/13 **  DS born 4/20/15
  • My little girl just turned 3 months and we are starting this transition too. I'm starting out with naps, then will move up to night. Get a video monitor with sound and they also make those SIDS monitors to let you know if the baby stops breathing. Good luck!
  • Both of my sons started in a rock and play and I switched them over to their crib at 8 weeks.  I wanted them to be comfortable sleeping in a crib or pack and play at daycare and not rely on being upright and all cozy like they were in the RNP.  I started with the naps, it was easier on me and on them instead of doing it at night and being frustrated with neither or us getting sleep.  I also rolled a bath towel into a U shape under the crib sheet to make him feel a little more contained and then had one folded under the sheet as well to prop him up a little.  After he started sleeping like that I started taking the towels out and he then learned to sleep flat on his back.  I would say it took me 3 days of not the greatest naps for him to get it mastered and then he did great.  Sleeping about 10 hours straight at night right now.  Good luck!
  • just last night we put our daughter in crib overnight for 1st time. she is 25 weeks old - almost 6 months. until then we had her in our room in the bassinet and when she outgrew bassinet we set up the pack n play at foot of our bed. i had no desire for her to move to her nursey but the last few nights when i got up to pump, she woke up too and i knew she needed her own more quiet sleeping space. is there any way you can fit a pack n play in
  • the bedroom. it is a tough thing to make the move to the crib in another room but if you arent ready and your baby isnt ready then dont feel pressure too!
  • My daughter is a very tall baby and was getting dangerous close to outgrowing her bassinet. I am one of those odd parents who has a baby who sleeps through the night so the transition was not too hard. I invested in some good breathable bumpers as even in a sleep sack she still moves herself around quite a bit or sleeps on her side. In the early morning my husband gets up at 5 for work and brings her into my bed for morning feeding before he leaves at 6 where we cat nap until 7. A lot of the transition depends on how you wish to have your sleeping arrangements.