August 2015 Moms

No sleep!

LO is one month old today! And as I've been reading some of you ladies post about getting 4-5 hour stretches of sleep at this stage, I can't help but feel a bit jealous (mostly exhausted) because my LO doesn't seem to want to sleep at night unless I'm holding her or nursing her. She will be knocked out cold in my arms but as soon as I put her down she'll wake right up. She won't take a pacifier either :( I'm so tired that I actually cried about it tonight! I'm gonna try putting her down again... Wish me luck!

Re: No sleep!

• I'm surprised it took you this long to cry about it! I would be crying most of the time without proper sleep - sounds like hard work :( so far I'm getting an hour or two between feeds in the night which is better than nothing. No useful advice but I hope it gets better for you very soon!
  • LO is not having a good night either. He has been up screaming for an hour now because of gas, poor baby! He won't let me put him down either so I have resorted to co-sleeping which works for us. I hope you get some rest mama, good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Oh my goodness. My LO will be 4 weeks tomorrow and we are dealing with the same. It was a really rough night. He would only settle being held by me but I don't co sleep and I get so nervous about falling asleep when nursing him, especially on the couch. You're not alone, mama!
  • You're not alone. Haven't slept at all. Don't understand how people are saying that their babies are sleeping through the night?!?
    Me: 37, DH: 38: ttc 7 years, dx: unknown
    10/11: after 2 years, saw a RE, FSH 5.4
    11/11: BFP! (surprise after thyroid & normal hsg),
    12/11: missed m/c after 7 week u/s, 1/12: D&C
    6/12 IUI#1-IUI #3: clomid = BFP!, C/P
    IVF #1(10/12) FSH 5.4, AFC: 16 long Lupron, 5R/5M/4F, all 4 made it to 5dt, 1 blast/1-8 cell transferred=BFN
    IVF #2(12/12)AFC 21, MD lupron, 4R/4M/3F, 5dt of 1 blast and 2-8cell. BFN.
    IVF#3(4/13) Natural start antagon protocol, 12R,11F. one PGS normal at day 6 transfer. BFN.
    IVF#4 (11/13) C.CRM (ODW.U normal 8/13 Still no Diagnosis) EPP/antagonist. ER 13R/7M/6F. Only 1 made it to freeze. Abnormal. Looking into options of DE, Fresh vs frozen.
    10/14 new local RE to look into what's next. CD3 FSH 4.7, AMH 0.9. Met with DE agencies and exploring options for feb/march 2015.
    Surprise natural bfp (4 days before donor is signed). Beta #1 at 9dpo: 51.8, 2nd beta: 195 (25 hours doubling) @11dpo. 3rd beta (12/15): 516 (35 hrs doubling) 4th beta(12/17): 895 (58 hours doubling) 5th beta(12/19): 2120. U/S at 5w0d(12/22): one gestational sac with yolk sac. U/S #2 (6w0d)12/29. One little bean measuring 6w0d with HR 124. 3rd u/s(1/4)7w0d: baby measuring 7w2d. HR 134. 3/30: A/S at MFM went great except for low lying placenta. Verifi results are normal! Team Blue! Please send any positive thoughts our way! EDD:8/24/2015
    Baby Will born 8/18. He's perfect.
  • Miz_Liz said:

DD turned 1 month yesterday. This has been the tory of our life (for 1 month). Finally last night during a breakdown I said to DH I don't think she is getting enough milk....something I have been super self conscious about even though she is growing like a champ and a pee/poop machine. So I caved and made some of the formula we received as samples in the mail. The first one said it was for supplementing....fail....DD hated it (and I must admit, I was kind of happy for some reason, I guess because I felt like she preferred me). Then about an hour later, still struggling, I made some of the newborn formula (yay multiple samples). She ate just over an ounce and passed out...for....wait for it.....FIVE HOURS!! Unheard of with my child!! Do I want to use formula? Nope. Do I still have mixed emotions about it? Yep. But I am now well rested and can focus on how to increase my supply (struggling) enough to pump more so she can have BM in a bottle at night if need be. May not be the problem for you, but wanted to share in case it helps. Also, when I squeezed my boobs milk did come out, but for some reason I just still felt she wasn't actually getting enough.

Omg you do what you have to do. I'm so happy you got 5 hrs of rest! Evening feeds are the worst because I feel tapped out. I had to warm up some frozen milk last night to satisfy my LO and then she passed out right away. But she only slept 3 hrs. 3 hrs is pretty much the max

:-S
  • @Miz_Liz I made these lactation cookies and they really work. I added extra PB and chocolate chips for yumminess and went with heaping measurings of the brewer's yeast. I used an ice cream scoop to make monster size cookies and have just one in the afternoon with some mother's milk tea and it has made a big difference in my evening supply.

https://www.keepitsweetdesserts.com/peanut-butter-chocolate-chip-lactation-cookies/

OP... I know some babies just won't sleep through the night for anything and advice just makes you mad... I do wish you luck and hope you get your chunk of nighttime sleep soon! Sending sleepy baby dust your way!
  • @PixelPosy thanks, I am going to make some!! Although it would be easier if Oreos would work ;)
  • Same here. Some babies don't sleep well. It is what it is. Hang in there!
        DS born 8-16-2013
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • My LO is 7 weeks in 2 days and still wakes every 2 hours during the night. Some nights he wakes hourly!! Sleeps like a champ during the day though. Sleep deprivation is by far the hardest thing I have had to experience so far as a FTM xxx
  • Miz_Liz said:

DD turned 1 month yesterday. This has been the tory of our life (for 1 month). Finally last night during a breakdown I said to DH I don't think she is getting enough milk....something I have been super self conscious about even though she is growing like a champ and a pee/poop machine. So I caved and made some of the formula we received as samples in the mail. The first one said it was for supplementing....fail....DD hated it (and I must admit, I was kind of happy for some reason, I guess because I felt like she preferred me). Then about an hour later, still struggling, I made some of the newborn formula (yay multiple samples). She ate just over an ounce and passed out...for....wait for it.....FIVE HOURS!! Unheard of with my child!! Do I want to use formula? Nope. Do I still have mixed emotions about it? Yep. But I am now well rested and can focus on how to increase my supply (struggling) enough to pump more so she can have BM in a bottle at night if need be. May not be the problem for you, but wanted to share in case it helps. Also, when I squeezed my boobs milk did come out, but for some reason I just still felt she wasn't actually getting enough.

My dd hated the supplement too! Blah!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I finally got a solid 3 hours of sleep! I'm happy to know I'm not the only one going through it! It makes me feel less crazy lol! @Miz_Liz I've tried giving her formula as a last resort. She hated it! I've also noticed she seems to be sleep grunting and that kind of keeps her awake :( poor baby she's had a rough night too.
  • After our two week appointment and second PKU prick yesterday, DS has only slept on me (not even DH which he usually does without a problem) and would prefer to only sleep attached to my boob. It's been a rough night.
  • Has anyone heard of The Wonder Weeks? Apparently my LO is right smack in the middle of her first wonder week. It says that during this week she will be fussy and will want to be held more often. I'm wondering if there's any truth behind this? It would explain her behavior lately...
  • Has anyone heard of The Wonder Weeks? Apparently my LO is right smack in the middle of her first wonder week. It says that during this week she will be fussy and will want to be held more often. I'm wondering if there's any truth behind this? It would explain her behavior lately...

We are in the middle of our first "wonder week" too and LO is still sleeping good during the night BUT my good napper during the day is gone and she will only sleep on me. She also has increased fussiness and is totally fighting sleep. Imce shes down at night im good but it takes quite a bit to get her down. I totally think the wonder weeks are spot on thus far. I downloaded the app so I can keep track and know each time.
  • I remember one night I gave my LO 6 oz of breastmilk. That did the trick and he didn't wake until 7 am the next morning. I kept checking on him to make sure he was ok...which was counterproductive because I gave him so much so I could get some sleep too...and I didn't because I was worrying about him lol. Can't do that again as I don't make enough BM to be giving 6 oz feedings like that. But we do go through periods of him not wanting to sleep longer than an hour at night. I think tonight might be one of those nights. Hang in there :)
  • My LO won't let me put him down during the day and that can be so frustrating, it has to be worse at night!

I came across this yesterday and thought it was so sweet I didn't mind holding him quite so much for the rest of the day: https://www.bellybelly.com.au/baby-sleep/why-does-my-baby-wake-up-when-i-put-her-down/
  • MrT723 said:

My LO won't let me put him down during the day and that can be so frustrating, it has to be worse at night!

I came across this yesterday and thought it was so sweet I didn't mind holding him quite so much for the rest of the day: https://www.bellybelly.com.au/baby-sleep/why-does-my-baby-wake-up-when-i-put-her-down/

Awww now I feel guilty for putting her down! Lol :D
  • Miz_Liz said:

Enfamil brand newborn? That's the only one mine will take! That's how I get mine to sleep. Formula for her 10pm feedings. Breastmilk just does not satiate her as long. With 4 oz , I can have her sleep for 4 hrs. With 4 oz of pumped milk, maybe 2?