Minnesota Babies

Birth Centers in MN - MDH report

Hi ladies, this board seems pretty quiet, but in case anyone is out there who is looking into giving birth in a birth center, I wanted to share this report that the Minnesota Department of Health put out in Feb 2014: Evaluation of the Quality of Care and Outcomes for
Services Provided in Licensed Birth Centers

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/opa/2014birthctrsrpt.pdf&ved=0CCEQFjAAahUKEwjLzfe7wffGAhVDOz4KHZGwDCA&usg=AFQjCNGYh2NISA8tbf24XYVGJod_qTQYXg&sig2=6yyvUWp8TSRR1FjthkRXsQ

I am TTC myself, but went to Health Foundations in St Paul for my annual exam this year and absolutely loved it. This study was great to see the transfer rates, and other birth center stats.

If anyone has given birth in a birth center, please share your experience!
me 30; DH 35
TTC since May 2014.
Aug 2014 BFP, EDD April 22, 2015. Low progesterone, started suppositories. Loss at 5w6d.
Nov 19, 2015 BFP at 13 dpo, EDD July 29, 2016. MMC discovered 12/29 (9+4). Natural miscarriage 1/16 (12+1).
AMH results 0.42, 1.2; FSH 12.1, AFC 10, dx DOR. 
RPL testing results normal. Nurse recommended progesterone suppositories in TWW.
Clomid + trigger + TI cycle August 2016 - failed. Thin lining.
Femara + trigger + TI cycle December 2016 - failed. Thin lining.
Short LP (8 days).
Acupuncture & Chinese herbs starting January 2017, lengthened LP to 10 days 

Summer 2016 LFAF awards: 

Winter 2016/2017 LFAF awards:

Re: Birth Centers in MN - MDH report

• edited August 2015
    I delivered my son at Health Foundations last month! I had a water birth and could not recommend it highly enough.
    When I was pregnant I was always surprised by how many people asked about my delivery plan and had no idea what a birth center was or how the midwifery model of care differs from a hospital birth. I work at United Hospital (which is only about a mile from Health Foundations) but even at work no one had heard of it. Thanks for sharing that link.
  • Thanks for your response @Christinej2101! So glad to hear you had a great experience at Health Foundations.
    me 30; DH 35
    TTC since May 2014.
    Aug 2014 BFP, EDD April 22, 2015. Low progesterone, started suppositories. Loss at 5w6d.
    Nov 19, 2015 BFP at 13 dpo, EDD July 29, 2016. MMC discovered 12/29 (9+4). Natural miscarriage 1/16 (12+1).
    AMH results 0.42, 1.2; FSH 12.1, AFC 10, dx DOR. 
    RPL testing results normal. Nurse recommended progesterone suppositories in TWW.
    Clomid + trigger + TI cycle August 2016 - failed. Thin lining.
    Femara + trigger + TI cycle December 2016 - failed. Thin lining.
    Short LP (8 days).
    Acupuncture & Chinese herbs starting January 2017, lengthened LP to 10 days 

Summer 2016 LFAF awards: 

Winter 2016/2017 LFAF awards:

• Loading the player...
  • I am loving what I'm hearing about Willow Birth Center in Uptown! Excited to tour it soon!

• I'm looking at birth centers as well, however my insurance seems to be a big pain in my butt and will not cover a birth center delivery. Looking for loopholes!! Anyone have any experience with birth centers and PreferredOne health insurance?
  • KimlovescatsKimlovescats member
    edited September 2015
    I'm looking at birth centers as well, however my insurance seems to be a big pain in my butt and will not cover a birth center delivery. Looking for loopholes!! Anyone have any experience with birth centers and PreferredOne health insurance?

That stinks!!! I had to change to health partners from UCare to go to a birth center by me because they didn't have a contract with them. Luckily, it was open enrollment time. Are you able to change insurance to a plan that will cover it? Also, I have no idea what your income is like, but there are some income loopholes where you can still get MA/MNCare if your insurance does not cover the full cost of your birth. I worked with someone (and this was at a hospital and the hospital insurance did not cover the full price) and she did that loophole. MA/MNCare do cover birth centers and doulas (because hey, it is a cheaper option with generally better outcomes!!!). Good luck, women should be able to choose where they give birth!

Ok, I just read that article above and it says that "There has been an increased interest in birth centers since the Affordable Care Act was passed which requires federal and state government programs to cover birth center deliveries."  

Might want to check into that? If that is the case and your insurance is not complying it could be an issue!!!