August 2015 Moms
Options

Is this normal?

My baby is 11 days old. Her breathing isn't the same, it will be fast then slow then fast then slow.. Also She rolls her eyes to the back of her head a lot!!! It scares me and makes me wanna cry.. Is this normal? Should I be concerned? Anyone else going though this?

Re: Is this normal?

• Options
    Call your pediatrician to be safe..

DS rolls his eyes but only when drifting to sleep. If you can see her ribs when breathing that's also a sign of distress. No experience personally but that's what his Dr Said to watch for. GL

• Options
    Thank you:) she does it in her sleep and it scares the crap out of me. I just wanna cry. My mom says I did it all the time. But while she's trying to sleep,??
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My LO does the same thing, and while it does scare me too I remember my other kids did it too.
  • Options

My LO does the same thing, and while it does scare me too I remember my other kids did it too.

I'm SOOOO happy to hear this. It relieves a lot!!! Thank you
  • Options
    It's normal for a very slow down of breathing and then rapid deep breath(almost like the belly is jumping up and down) BUT I would still address it with your pedi (I did& it's my third baby! It never hurts to ask!)
  • Options

It's normal for a very slow down of breathing and then rapid deep breath(almost like the belly is jumping up and down) BUT I would still address it with your pedi (I did& it's my third baby! It never hurts to ask!)

Thank you!
  • Options
    Rolling eyes is common at this age when drifting to sleep or when in that "in and out sorta asleep" mode. As they get older and develop more it should decrease :) Of course tell pedi if still concerned.
  • Options
    cseley321cseley321 member
    edited September 2015
    Mine does this as well. I spoke to the pediatrician and she said it's normal and will probably start going away around 4 to 6 weeks. I still get creeped out by the eye rolling
  • Options
    So, this is happening in her sleep right? If so, yep my DD does this and I remember as a FTM freaking out about this because DS did it too.
        DS born 8-16-2013
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    My pediatrician said that babies have a breathing cycle that goes between being fast and slow and pausing for a few seconds. It would have been so nice if they had warned us about the pauses in the newborn class; I panicked when I saw dd doing that.
  • Options
    Thank you ladies!