Baby Names

Name help for 5th baby!

I'm about to deliver my fifth baby- a girl!- and need help! We've got Luke, Abigail, Elisabeth, and Jack, and our favorite name for this sweetie is Caroline. Here's my question though- my niece, who is 9, is also named Caroline. My brother and his wife don't care in the least, they'd be 9 years apart, and it doesn't bother us either. Do you think we should just name her what we love in spite of that or try to find something else?

Answers

• bbiutmcphbbiutmcph member
    edited September 2015
    If you love it and especially if they think you should I see no reason to avoid it.

Edit: I come from huge Italian families we have several repeats. It's not an issue and generally one uses a nn or something

• Personally, I wouldn't name my daughter the same exact name as her cousin. BUT since the parents are fine with and it doesn't bother you, there's nothing wrong with it if that's what you choose. It might be an inconvenience for family gatherings or grandparents, but not that big of a deal.
    imageimage

• Loading the player...
  • It's a little strange to me, to be honest.
    DD: Ophelia 5/18/15
  • I personally wouldn't do it, but I also don't think it's that big of a deal - as long as you and your family are good with it, that's what matters! Have you considered doing Caroline with a nickname OR doing a similar alternative as her formal first name? It could even be a nickname that pretty much just family uses to distinguish between the two girls.

For example: Coralie, Coraline, Coral, Cora, Cara, Carolina, Adeline, Lina, Callie, Carly, Carla, Calla, Clara, Ari, Ariana, Nina, Lila, Lindy, Olive, Nelly, Coco, Rory, Lennie, Ina
  • It seems pretty strange to me, tbh. I couldn't imagine doing it. But if it doesn't bother you, then more power to you!
    My furchildren, Dorothy and Johnny :)
  • I wouldn't do it. It would just be weird/inconvenient in my family. What about Cara or Clara instead?
  • elle313 said:

Personally, I wouldn't name my daughter the same exact name as her cousin. BUT since the parents are fine with and it doesn't bother you, there's nothing wrong with it if that's what you choose. It might be an inconvenience for family gatherings or grandparents, but not that big of a deal.

This, but I would double and triple check with her parents. My SIL insisted she was fine with us getting married the same summer as she did and then was really upset about the whole thing later.
    Anniversary 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I named my son the same name as one of my cousins. I get flack for it all.the.time. 

They have a generation between them. I think naming her the same name as her 9 year old cousin is too much, to be honest. 
  • There are so many beautiful names to choose from, picking the exact same name as a cousin is too much in my opinion. Plus, as beautiful as Caroline is, its pretty popular already (aside from your family connection)

Suggestions:

Corinne
    Corina

• It would grow to be a pain outside of your immediate family. I have a hard time believing the other parents are honestly okay with it.
  • I wouldn't do it. Caroline is a beautiful name so I understand why you love it but there's got to be another name out there that you like. Maybe:

Victoria
    Charlotte
    Katherine
    Alexandra
    Gwendolyn
    Lillian
    Rebecca
    Lauren
  • I wouldn't use it
  • I think it depends on how close your kids will be growing up. My first cousins live in Scotland and Australia. Guess what? It wouldn't matter if we all had the same name because we've seen each other... I don't know....three times in our ENTIRE lives, so I really wouldn't worry about it.

But if they live down the street from you, I probably wouldn't do it.
  • If you are around your family a lot, I would just imagine it'd just be really confusing

TTC #1 10/2014
    Low progesterone
    BFP 05/2015
    Baby boy born 01/2016
    Currently: NTNP