Baby Names

Middle name for Ella

Ella is a rather common name, so I'm looking for a middle name that is more unique, but still with a traditional vibe. I also want to avoid anything starting with A, and I would like it to have 2+ syllables. The surname is Irish and begins with O.

Two middle names that are currently on the table are:

Josephina (after my late grandfather, Joseph)
Vivienne (the only other name my partner and I have been able to agree on)

Opinions on those two choices and other suggestions are gladly welcomed. Thank you!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Middle name for Ella

• mrstraxmrstrax member
    edited September 2015
    I prefer the flow of Ella Josephine to Ella Josaphina. That would be my first pick, especially since it's an honor name.

Ella Caroline
    Ella Margaret
    Ella Beatrice
    Ella Charlotte
    Ella Cordelia
    Ella Felicity
    Ella Genevieve
    Anniversary 
  • I love the name Charlotte! But unfortunately being from NC, I can only associate it as a place name. Sigh. Thanks for your suggestions!
  • Loading the player...
  • Ella Josephine is less sing songey than Josephina. I also like Vivienne.

Ella Corrine
    Ella Maureen
    Ella Rebecca
    Ella Helene
    Ella Nicole
    Ella Irene
    Ella Genevieve
    Ella Jeanette
    Ella Katherine
    Ella Camille
    Ella Florence

• Love Ella Vivienne

Ella Valentina
    Ella Evangeline
    Ella Genevieve
    Ella Persephone
    Ella Seraphina
    Ella Giuliana
    Ella Roselyn
    Ella Coraline
    Ella Frances
    Ella Beatrice
    Ella Cosette
    Ella Gwendolyn
    Ella Rosalie
    Ella Anastasia (I know you were trying to avoid A names but I think this ones beautiful)
  • I like Ella Josephine better. The a endings on Ella Josephina doesn't work to me. Ella Vivienne is nice too, but I like the meaning behind Josephine.

Also love Ella Genevieve and Ella Corrine.

Suggest
    Ella Celeste
    Ella Rosemary
  • My niece is Ella Faye. I didn't care much for it at first, but I really like it now.
  • Out of the two options you mentioned, I prefer Ella Vivienne.

Ella Brianne
    Ella Brienne
    Ella Camille
    Ella Celestine
    Ella Clarice
    Ella Clementine
    Ella Constance
    Ella Daphne
    Ella Darlene
    Ella Eloise
    Ella Julienne
    Ella Juliet/Juliette
    Ella Justine
    Ella Lillian
    Ella Louise
    Ella Lucienne
    Ella Lucille
    Ella Madeline
    Ella Marisol
    Ella Maxine
    Ella Miriam
    Ella Octavia
    Ella Odette
    Ella Ophelia
    Ella Roxanne
    Ella Sabine
    Ella Violet
  • Ella Victoria
    Thats all I got. I can't think of anything to top that. Its lovely and strong!
  • I love Ella Josephine! If you don't use that then my suggestion is to look through other family names. I personally believe that middle names should be used to honor loved ones and not to just make a first name flow better. Because no one uses or knows anyone's middle name ever. What are your parents/in laws, siblings, and other grandparents names??
  • I would do Ella Josephine.

Ella Vivian is nice, I think Vivienne is too rhymey.
  • Ella Josephine (don't like Josephina with Ella)

• I also like Ella Josephine.
    My niece is Ella Jo. The Jo is a nod to 2 different family members. So they kept it short and sweet.
  • I certainly don't dislike Ella Josephine, but I knew a Josephine in college and she turned out to be a real piece of work. I would hate to be reminded of her every time I thought of my little one's full name!

But all the suggestions are great and much appreciated! Victoria, Seraphina, Cosette, Louise, and Valentina are all ones I have considered so y'all certainly know my style :)

• I love Ella Josephine! If you don't use that then my suggestion is to look through other family names. I personally believe that middle names should be used to honor loved ones and not to just make a first name flow better. Because no one uses or knows anyone's middle name ever. What are your parents/in laws, siblings, and other grandparents names??
    Other names in the family are Catherine/Katherine (I thought Caterina might be a nice spin on that), Eileen, Reginald, Edna, and Karen. I wouldn't use anyone's name outright, but I haven't thought of any alternatives to the latter names that I actually like.
  • Before I read all the replies my first instinct was to shorten the Josephina to Josephine. Ella Josephine sounds beautiful together.