December 2015 Moms

Alcohol and Baby Showers...tacky?

I'm having a Saturday afternoon baby shower and my hosts were giving me the details. They said they were serving non-alcoholic punch and some other things, and I asked if there would be alcohol. They said no, since I couldn't drink and it was in the middle of the day.

I just assumed there would be alcohol and I have no problems with my guests drinking even though I can't. I've been to baby showers that have alcohol, so I didn't think twice about it.

Am I in the minority in thinking that serving light alcohol, like mimosas, is acceptable?

Re: Alcohol and Baby Showers...tacky?

• I think it's a no, since the individual the party is for can't drink. That is just my opinion.
  • We're having a diaper kegger but it's also a common thing around here. I'm not one to care what others think so much and I think it sounds fun! My older family is coming early to do cake and then the cookout/keg are coming out a couple hours later.
  • Loading the player...
  • Daphneh28Daphneh28 member
    edited September 2015
    We are having a Big punch of sangria for those that can drink. And a few weeks ago I went to my bff's baby shower and they had mimosas, moscato and such. Light alcoholic things like you said. I don't think any kind of alcohol is tacky or strange even if they served the harder stuff. I am from New Orleans though so our view on alcohol is a bit liberal lol!
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
  • I think it really just depends on what your preference is. I see nothing wrong with either. Mimosas are an awesome mid day drink even at baby showers! My cousin had some at hers as well. Go with what you and the host feel is best, it's your day after all =]
  • Even though I'm a recovering alcoholic (celebrated three years sobriety in August) I'll weigh in :)>-
    I would say no since it's the middle of the day and it's not necessarily an occasion where alcohol is something generally served. OR, if it is something you'd like to have your guests to have, just keep it classy. Mimosa's as PP's have mentioned or a similar "brunch type" drink. Both my DH and myself are recovering alcoholics (me the 3 years, DH has 2 years under his belt) and both our families typically have wine on special occasions or even just dinners out and it's never bothered us.
    To me, baby showers are an event where I feel it's best to keep it classy so if alcohol is included, a light special drink or a little champagne won't hurt or offend anyone. Just because it's offered doesn't mean all your guests are obligated to imbibe! ;)
  • It depends on your social circle and what they general accept. The no alcohol decision may be budgetary on the part of the hosts, too. Alcohol can be expensive, especially in a restaurant or catered setting.
  • My baby shower is at a winery. So there will be alcohol available at mine. I felt bad because I hijacked the girls day out we had planned for my baby shower as it was the only date everyone was available. So they can all stay as long as they want and relax and have nibbles/wine/lunch after the actual baby shower finishes.

Plus it's a family friendly place with a big outside cafe with a big playground so they can bring kids if they want as well.
  • As a shower goer I neither need nor will turn down a glass of champagne. As the shower recipient , if whomever is throwing it wants there to be alcohol then that's great! I want people to enjoy themselves as much as possible and most of my friends are still in their 20s so I know a day drink is not something they'd turn their nose up at.

I do agree that the type of drink should be considered. At my wedding shower they severed a punch/proseco type drink that was delicious!
  • Over here it's normal to have some wine for the guests (or at least there was for the ones I went to) not loads of it, you don't want someone really drunk!!
    I think if you're okay with it then it's not a problem
  • As a guest at a baby shower with alcohol it makes me uncomfortable when alcohol is served when the guest of honor can't drink (especially when it is a drink they'd normally enjoy). If we have dinner with another couple and she's pregnant I typically abstain and the guys have 1-2 drinks. But I'm the mean wife that only let's DH have 1 drink unless it is a work party or he's with his family in which case I don't comment on a 2nd drink (men technically are allowed 2 drinks per day), anything outside of that I'd consider "partying" which I expect my husband to abstain from as long as "we" are pregnant.
  • I've only been to one baby shower that didn't have sangria/mimosas/wine, and at that one the MTB and most of her friends were in high school so there just wasn't a way to make that work legally.

I had a coed shower thrown by my mom and best friend and there was beer and wine. I didn't mind at all. Normally I would think beer was weird at a shower but the guys really enjoyed it. My mom and dad even had one and I don't think I've ever seen them have a beer in my entire life before that day.
  • My mom is hosting my shower at a restaurant (on a Saturday around 1pm)....we are having an open bar. We don't anticipate heavy drinking, but if someone wants wine and another wants a Bloody Mary, then so be it. These people are bringing gifts and taking time out of their busy schedules to attend, you better believe they can have a drink!
  • My SIL is throwing me a co-ed baby-q (bbq). It's even having bbq foods, so she got beer for the guests. I figure, you'd have beer at a regular bbq and I don't care if the guests have some drinks. My DH and I even went to a bar the other weekend and I sat there and had water, he got a few beers, while we watched football.

I figure, if we don't care as the MTB/guest of honor, then alcoholic beverages is fine.

Also, now I want a mimosa :-(
  • I think it's nice to have for showers for guests. They are giving gifts we may as well give them a buzz for sitting through the shower
  • i had a co-ed baseball themed baby shower. so my dad grilled hot dogs and we also had a hot dog machine, cotton candy machine, popcorn machine and along with a margarita machine. that was the only alcohol served at my baby shower, other than the guys drinking beer out of a baby bottle game. i don't drink whether i was pregnant or not, therefore, i am use to being others drinking and i'm not. so my opinion may be bias but i don't see a problem with light alcohol served at a baby shower.
  • My shower is on a sat at noon. I'm having wine.
  • Not me personally! but I will have 12 bottles of red and 12 white for my guests :)
  • I see nothing wrong with it! My family enjoys a drink or two so I would be surprised if there wasn't any at all. I think it's up to the individual guest to make sure they do not drink to much. I think mimosas, sangria or a nice punch would be fine! I could careless if other people drink!
  • Brunch will be served at my shower so there will be mimosas as well as fake mimosas
  • I think a light alcoholic beverage or cocktail is a great idea. I doubt my shower (if it ever comes together) will have alcohol but I wish it would. A nice cocktail just lightens the mood. I would have two versions of the drink of choice, one non alcoholic and one alcoholic.
  • My cousin hosted a baby shower for her sisters (due within 2 weeks of each other) and served Barefoot brand wine. She used some pink and some blue labels based on the gender of the babies.
  • It depends on your social circle and what they general accept. The no alcohol decision may be budgetary on the part of the hosts, too. Alcohol can be expensive, especially in a restaurant or catered setting.
    This.

Jamie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I think it depends on your guests. I will have a lot of older ladies at my shower and they would be appalled if I had any type of alcohol. If it was a shower just for my friends then I'd be all for it! I say go for it. There is also a drink mix called preggotini (or something like that) and it would be a perfect mock for you! :)
  • My hosts made a batch of alcoholic sangria and a batch of nonalcoholic sangria. It was a huge hit and I still got to enjoy what everyone else was drinking. It was on a Sunday afternoon :-)

August '18 March Siggy Challenge - You had ONE JOB

Pregnancy Ticker

• Most showers that I have been to or were held for me for my first had alcohol served - wine, champagne, mimosas, that type of thing. It probably does depend on where you live and what is normally accepted, but I definitely prefer to attend showers that serve some alcohol. I think it's a bit odd to not serve anything just because the mom to be can't drink - there are still a bunch of guests that are all bringing gifts and it's a celebration. The showers I've been to or were held for me also usually had some kind of fancy nonalcoholic drink for the mom to be and any guests that don't want to drink (punch, fancy juices, etc.).
  • There are a couple recovering alcoholics at mine, so it's an automatic no with us. I think it just depends on your social circle and hosts preferences. I really don't see an issue with wine or light drinks being served at a baby shower, personally I don't mind that I can't drink.
  • As a guest I don't think I'd notice one way or the other but that said there will be a couple of alcoholic drinks at mine probably a cocktail & champagne as well as a choice of non alcoholic drinks for me & those who don't want to drink!
  • I'd be 100% fine with alcohol at a shower, either as a guest or the guest of honor. I don't see it being a big deal at all, but that's just me.
  • Iv never been to a baby shower where there wasn't alcohol.
  • I think light alcoholic drinks as you stated are fine (mimosas and stuff like that) but no beer or liquor. Anything more than that won't make it feel like a baby shower any more.
  • @kristen2b I knew I liked you lol!!!! ;)
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
  • I'm having a Saturday afternoon baby shower and my hosts were giving me the details. They said they were serving non-alcoholic punch and some other things, and I asked if there would be alcohol. They said no, since I couldn't drink and it was in the middle of the day.

I just assumed there would be alcohol and I have no problems with my guests drinking even though I can't. I've been to baby showers that have alcohol, so I didn't think twice about it.

Am I in the minority in thinking that serving light alcohol, like mimosas, is acceptable?

I think it is nice to offer mimosas / wine / or a spiked punch or lemonade. Hosting parties is to provide the best experience for your guests and unless they are all pregnant too - I say go for it!! Then again, in my family we serve wine and beer at kids birthday parties too - so I may be biased here. Regardless, have a BLAST at your shower!!

• We always have mimosas and white wine at mid-day gatherings. Everyone will usually have a glass or 2, no biggie (not me).
  • I think mimosas are great for a baby shower! I went to a baby shower while pregnant once, and the gal it was for directed me to the water when I got there, but she drank a couple (probably 3 or so) mixed drinks!!! What?! Pregnant and drinking at your own baby shower?? She said they were very light...still...
  • I would think it depends on what the hosts are willing to provide & the social circles. I could care less if alcohol is served-why should I punish anyone just because I'm on the DL? (Most showers I've been to had light drinks-can you tell?) I certainly don't expect drinks at the shower hosted by my MIL-it'd be weird in that situation (church basement). Best shower I went to, the mamma had the baby a mo th early, she brought him to her last shower and had a mimosa from "mommy's sippy cup"...hilarious!
  • I always have alcohol available at baby showers I host. Usually wine, some kind of punch, or mimosas. I provide it when I'm hosting while pregnant too. Doesn't mean people have to drink it, but most do. Nobody's ever drunk or anything. That's just my circle I guess. Parties and gatherings call for cocktails.

imageimage

• I think it depends on your social circle. I've actually never been to a baby shower were alcohol was served, because the guest of honor couldn't imbibe. And depending on the type of alcohol/party, could become quite expensive, but I think as long as the hosts and mom-to-be don't mind, bring on the mimosa's!

I'd kill for one right now! My MIL is throwing me a family only co-ed shower (sort of - it is also doubling as a family birthday party for my DH) and there will be a ton of wine and beer. Since I'll be the only one not imbibing (besides the little cousins) I'm sure my drink options will be water or milk. Maybe Lemonade if I'm very lucky. Sigh...my first baby shower that includes booze and I can't drink. LOL.

Have fun at yours OP! I hope they serve whatever you want.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This, or if they are hosting it in a hall, there may be rules about having alcohol that prevent it.

Example A: I am hosting a shower for a friend due in November and the community centre that it is taking place at does not allow alcohol at all.

Example B: the location may require insurance if alcohol is served making it too difficult and/or expensive to arrange for a small shower.

• I don't have an issue with alcohol at the baby shower. As long as the mother to be doesn't mind and its not too expensive for the people hosting I don't have a problem with it. But it also depends on your circle of friends and family.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}