April 2015 Moms
Options

Feeding cereal

thudson922thudson922 member
edited September 2015 in April 2015 Moms
my 5 month old will not eat cereal. Tried rice & oatmeal. But he loves his fruits & veggies. Anyone else going through this? Is it ok to not get a lot of cereal ?

Re: Feeding cereal

• Options
    I'm no expert but I think it's fine! My Dr told me that cereal is pretty much practice for the good/real stuff. So if they are already successfully eating the nutrient-rich fruits & veggies, it sounds ok to me.
  • Options
    Thank you!! I try to give it to him but he won't take more than a couple bites.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Mine doesn't care for cereal either! But I heard it's not the best for babies tiny guts anyway, and it doesn't have nearly as much nutritional value. I think it's more of a filling thing to give your baby before bed so that they sleep through the night, but my son still wakes up at least once a night no matter what so I just stopped giving him cereal. It's totally fine if your baby only wants fruits and veggies! Just make sure to feed him lots of green veggies so he gets some iron, because the cereal is often iron fortified and that's why parents like it.
  • Options
    He loves green beans. Trying peas next. His formula has iron too. Thanks ladies!!!
  • Options
    How old is your baby
  • Options

How old is your baby

I think is directed to me? Haha mine will be 5 months on the 21st! We started rice cereal pretty much right when he turned 4 months and got the ok from our pedi, but we don't really give it to him anymore. He likes his veggies way more, just started on fruit!
  • Options
    I mix my son's cereal in his fruit and veggies. He loves it!
  • Options
    My ped said traditionally people start with cereal because of the iron and it's less likely to cause a reaction plus it's filling. However, there is no reason that it has to be their first food if you don't want it. He told me to start with a veggies first and I think his first taste will be sweet potatoes. He's a formula baby so he'll have his iron there and
    I want to make his food. I felt really bad that I only breast fed for a week so I told myself that I can at least commit to making his first foods. Just a personal battle for myself.
  • Options
    Also, the AAP said bananas, sweet potatoes and avocados are good stage one foods.
  • Options
    He loves all the fruits and veggies and started eating cereal !! But now my problem is he doesn't want a bottle ... Today only had 13 oz... With apples, pears, cereal, peas & squash throughout the day. But just don't feel that's enough formula. Doc said as long as he has wet diapers he's fine. Just very frustrating. Anyone else have this problem ?