C-sections

TTC After a disastrous C-Section Experience

Hi Ladies-

My husband and I are trying to conceive (for the last time).  My youngest son (second c-section) was in March 2014.  Overall, I would say the procedure went without a hitch.  I actually felt really good at the time of discharge from the hospital.  But only a couple of hours after being home, I had to be re-admitted to an infection in my incision and abdomen.  I was diagnosed with cellulitis and a staph infection which became septic.  Part of my incision was re-opened and then packed so it could heal from the inside out.  I was in the hospital for 7 days without my boys and then discharged home with a visiting nurse for IV antibiotics and wound care.

I have already had 2 c-sections and I am overweight so if I were to get pregnant this would absolutely be my final pregnancy.  I would be having my tubes tied following the c-section.  I so afraid of being cut open again, but my husband and I would really like 1 more child.  My doctor said he would not be able to go back into the same incision previously used because it is too low to complete the tubal ligation.

At this point, I'm waiting to take a PT later this week to see if we are in fact pregnant.  But, I'm scared.  Anyone have a hard c-section delivery and go on to have another baby?  Also, just another quick question: anyone notice increased tenderness in the abdomen in early pregnancy?  I'm researching VBAC deliveries and they say you can try if you have no more than 2 c-sections. Anyone experience this?  

Thanks ladies! I hope you all are well:) 
BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: TTC After a disastrous C-Section Experience

• If you are interested in trying for a VBAC, contact your local ICAN chapter, they will be able to tell you local providers who allow VBA2C. Good luck!
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• I don't wanna tell you about my third csection experience, but I will say there are many MANY mothers that have had three and had no issues what so ever. There are also things you could discuss with the doctor to help minimize risks. Like I had to take a special shower twice prior to surgery to help reduce germs. I was put into iv antibiotics before surgery and kept on them after for a day. Also was put on heavy duty antibiotics (oral) for when I went home. I have not had any incision issues, and I have a 13 inch vertical incision.
  • Loading the player...
  • I agree with PP about checking out your local ICAN chapter.  I am currently preparing for a VBAC, and they have been wonderfully supportive and have pointed me towards a VBAC-friendly provider in my area.  And if you choose another c-section, they can help make that an empowering experience too. 

I'm sorry you had such a hard time after your last birth, but you deserve the chance to have another child if that's what you and your husband want.  I wish you strength and hope.  Don't let fear get you down.  Your body can do it!  

Yes, VBs after multiple cesareans can be slightly higher-risk, but they are possible.  I love this video: VBAmultipleC from ICANvoices.  
  • Thank you so much ladies! Your comments were kind, supportive and very informative! Best of luck to each of you!
    BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker