March 2016 Moms

Question Thread - "Stupid" or not - just ask away

What have you been dying to know about pregnancy/babies that you feel is too stupid or whatever.  Just ask away!!  I promise someone will answer!
DS1 - 9/21/11
DS2 - 7/4/14
DS3 - 2/21/16
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Our family of 5 is complete!!  Love our boys!

Re: Question Thread - "Stupid" or not - just ask away

• Does everyone have an NT scan? I don't think my dr. has mentioned it. I have an ultrasound tomorrow, but it's not at my doctor office and it's specifically to check up on my SCH. If that looks good, I don't think I'll have another scan until the anatomy scan?

Me: 29  DH: 31
    Married 10/13/12
    TTC Since 8/2016

• I've heard they offer it but it's completely optional - I did not do it because we're not doing genetic testing.  Not sure if they're always covered by insurance.
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Loading the player...
  • Does everyone have an NT scan? I don't think my dr. has mentioned it. I have an ultrasound tomorrow, but it's not at my doctor office and it's specifically to check up on my SCH. If that looks good, I don't think I'll have another scan until the anatomy scan?
    Nope, it's optional. I opted out of any genetic testing at all, I'm 28 and we have no known serious issues in our family. My OB's actually discourage it unless you have potential risks already because it causes a lot of unnecessary worry. 
  • Me: 29  DH: 31
    Married 10/13/12
    TTC Since 8/2016

• I shouldn't say they necessarily discourage the tests but with my first I was really unsure of whether to do it or not. After discussing it with them, they leaned way more towards not doing it. So I didn't with DD and I won't with this one either.  
  • flowerpower5838: Not everyone has one, it's by choice. It's to test for markers for things like down syndrome and its not 100% positive that your child has it if the levels come back high. It's usually done between weeks 11-14 I believe. I'm surprised your Dr hasn't mentioned it to you but then again if you aren't at a higher risk that could be why. I don't believe all insurances cover it either.

And yes most likely your next us won't be until around 20 weeks for the anatomy scan.

Pregnancy Ticker

March '16 February Siggy challenge- After Pregnancy hopes

• Thank you for asking @flowerpower5838! My 12w appt is thurs and was wondering the same thing. It all makes sense now because at our 9w appt we declined all genetic testing.

• I just heard that they recommend kids until 2 be in rear facing car seats? How is this physically possible? My kids have always been on the tall side, my last baby outgrew her 1st car seat by 6 months. I can picture my kid in a rear facing seat with his/her legs over their head. Then again I remember my parents arm slamming against my chest as our "safety" growing up.
  • @labacker No problem! I just saw so many women talking about theirs and thought I maybe zoned out at an appointment or something.

My doc did say she offers everyone the panorama testing to everyone regardless of risk factors so I assume if I choose to do that, an NT scan might follow if something comes back abnormal. Still undecided on that though. Next dr appt. is next Wednesday.

Me: 29  DH: 31
    Married 10/13/12
    TTC Since 8/2016

• lindscnn1 said:
    I just heard that they recommend kids until 2 be in rear facing car seats? How is this physically possible? My kids have always been on the tall side, my last baby outgrew her 1st car seat by 6 months. I can picture my kid in a rear facing seat with his/her legs over their head. Then again I remember my parents arm slamming against my chest as our "safety" growing up.
    Convertible car seats go for a lot longer than the infant seats.  Some people even go as far as saying they should be in a rear-facing seat until 4, which I personally think is too long, but they say it's the safest position.  Convertible seats are awesome.  And it really doesn't matter if they're folding up their legs.
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• lindscnn1 said:
    I just heard that they recommend kids until 2 be in rear facing car seats? How is this physically possible? My kids have always been on the tall side, my last baby outgrew her 1st car seat by 6 months. I can picture my kid in a rear facing seat with his/her legs over their head. Then again I remember my parents arm slamming against my chest as our "safety" growing up.
    In some states kids have to legally rear face until two. Two is really the recommended minimum now as most kids don't outgrow their convertible car seats until at least 4. My kid is two now and she easily fits rear facing and clearly could for at least a couple more years. Rear facing is absolutely the safest.
  • Parker16772Parker16772 member
    edited September 2015
    lindscnn1 said:

We moved DS to a rear facing convertible around 11 months but kept him rear facing until 2. We still use the convertible in DH's truck (DS is almost four) so it was def a good investment. We plan to do the same with this baby maybe longer. I have seen pictures with taller kids crossing their legs. Kids are so flexible that I am sure its fine for them. 

Not my kid but here is an example. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I really need to brush up on car seats. Funny story about my fil. He put my nephew in his car seat upside down. When my sil came to the car to get in she saw her son legs up, head down, she was like wth? He said, and truly meant it, " the thing says rear facing". Lol. Good Ole Pappa =))
  • lindscnn1 said:

My 17 month old is in the 100th percentile for height and rear faces with no issues. I do know it's just a recommendation for now in most places (but becoming law in others) though. I know more than a few who made the turn early because their kiddos hate car rides. It's safer and my LO seems to have no problem with it, so rear facing it is.
  • I feel like I don't have a visible bump yet, but right above my pelvic bone is hard as a rock, is this my bump starting or am I imagining things?
    BFP 2/11/15 (EDD 10/13/15). MMC 3/30/15 D&C 4/3/15 "We will always love you"
    DD1 - BFP 7/23/15 (EDD 3/31/16).  "We believe in you rainbow" DOB 4/2/16
    DD2 - BFP 2/9/18 (EDD 10/19/18).  "Grow baby grow!" DOB 10/24/18
    BFP 11/16/20 (EDD 7/31/21).  "Round 3 FIGHT!"
  • I feel like I don't have a visible bump yet, but right above my pelvic bone is hard as a rock, is this my bump starting or am I imagining things?
    Probably! That's how it started for me both pregnancies too. 
    Does it feel kind of funky when you poke it?  Like not painful but kind of?  That's how I know it's my uterus.
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I almost posted something very similar to this!

It is definitely baby - I'm firm up to almost my belly button (I have a suuuuper short torso) and at my NT scan last week the tech kept trying to find baby down in my pelvis but, surprise! he was near my belly button.
  • Yeah everything is just hard below starting like 3 inches below my belly button.  I'm hopeful that it is baby, but wasn't sure if I was imagining it because I wanted is so badly because of the MMC.  How exciting!!!

BFP 2/11/15 (EDD 10/13/15). MMC 3/30/15 D&C 4/3/15 "We will always love you"
    DD1 - BFP 7/23/15 (EDD 3/31/16).  "We believe in you rainbow" DOB 4/2/16
    DD2 - BFP 2/9/18 (EDD 10/19/18).  "Grow baby grow!" DOB 10/24/18
    BFP 11/16/20 (EDD 7/31/21).  "Round 3 FIGHT!"
  • The weight gain thread is terrifying. But I've lost 12 pounds since I got pregnant. Doc says I need to work on gaining it back, and I'm eating a good bit but gaining nothing. What can I eat to gain more weight without becoming a whale?
  • skruhmin said:

lindscnn1 said:

Convertible car seats go for a lot longer than the infant seats.  Some people even go as far as saying they should be in a rear-facing seat until 4, which I personally think is too long, but they say it's the safest position.  Convertible seats are awesome.  And it really doesn't matter if they're folding up their legs.

I hear this too, and we've also had very tall kids. Our first two we turned at one, mainly because when they were rear facing they were such a distraction they made ME a bad driver, and I was concerned about causing an accident.

Our third stayed rear facing till about 18 months, and by then she was too tall for the convertible, not only in the legs, but her height put her head above the limit for rear facing. So, we turned her. We'll just play it by ear for this one too.

• @flowerpower5838 thank you! I feel like I'm going crazy over here trying to eat more and still gaining nothing d: nuts and shakes it is!
  • Excellent information about car seats, thank you ladies! My question is probably really dumb but this is my first pregnancy so hear me out. We are team green and obviously will tell this to the tech when I have my anatomy scan. I was wondering though is the sex immediately apparent or is it something that would need to be pointed out? I would hate to catch a glimpse of the screen and be able to see something by accident. Or do they have to check from a specific angle to see...? Thanks for your input!

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • ecwk said:

Excellent information about car seats, thank you ladies! My question is probably really dumb but this is my first pregnancy so hear me out. We are team green and obviously will tell this to the tech when I have my anatomy scan. I was wondering though is the sex immediately apparent or is it something that would need to be pointed out? I would hate to catch a glimpse of the screen and be able to see something by accident. Or do they have to check from a specific angle to see...? Thanks for your input!

I've never been team green, but my understanding is the tech should tell you to look away when they get to the relevant bits. Even so, I've had a hard time being able to tell without them pointing out certain things, so I don't know if you would be able to tell even if you were looking. But it's not like the ultrasound will pop up and you will immediately be able to tell :)

• ecwk said:

Excellent information about car seats, thank you ladies! My question is probably really dumb but this is my first pregnancy so hear me out. We are team green and obviously will tell this to the tech when I have my anatomy scan. I was wondering though is the sex immediately apparent or is it something that would need to be pointed out? I would hate to catch a glimpse of the screen and be able to see something by accident. Or do they have to check from a specific angle to see...? Thanks for your input!

This all depends on several factors, like the sex itself (you can tell what a penis looks like lol) but also the position of the baby, etc. For DD I wanted to find out but couldn't because she kept her legs crossed through 2 ultrasounds! They usually ask before they get too far into searching though.
    February Siggy Challenge- Post pregnancy indulgences

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I honestly had no idea what I was looking at when I had my anatomy scan with DD. Some stuff was obvious (head, spine, legs, heart) but when it came to genitals, I had no idea. But that could be because she was a girl. Maybe a penis on an ultrasound is very obvious?
    BabyFruit Ticker

• I knew immediately with all three of my boys. My kids open wide open for the camera and you can see penis right away.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • This is pretty much what my boys looked like
  • @Torpedogirl this is probably a stupid question too but was that the initial angle you saw?? I assume they have to manipulate the equipment to get that angle so I don't need to worry about seeing it right away. Anyway I guess the tech will help me on the day, I was just curious as to what I can expect. Thanks for all input :)

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • ecwk said:

@Torpedogirl this is probably a stupid question too but was that the initial angle you saw?? I assume they have to manipulate the equipment to get that angle so I don't need to worry about seeing it right away. Anyway I guess the tech will help me on the day, I was just curious as to what I can expect. Thanks for all input :)

No not initial. They ask right away if you want to know and when they get close they say we are going near the genital area. As soon as I saw the leg bones it popped right up. Just be sure to tell them you don't want to know and I am sure they will be careful. :)
  • I bought a whole pack of poppyseed muffins from Costco without thinking. I'm reading mixed things online. Are poppy seeds ok during pregnancy?

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • zephyrlt said:

I bought a whole pack of poppyseed muffins from Costco without thinking. I'm reading mixed things online. Are poppy seeds ok during pregnancy?

Yes just like anything don't over do it and you will be fine.
  • AlphabetFishAlphabetFish member
    edited September 2015
    Hey guys, just wondering--I'm planning to quit my job and become a SAHM once the baby comes, but... uh... how long before my due date should I do that? (Assuming I feel well enough to keep working; if I really don't I will stop earlier. It's only a part time job).

I was thinking I'd quit at the end of February and give myself around 2 weeks before the due date, but... should I give myself more time? Or is it safe to give myself less time? What did y'all do, those went from working to staying at home?

• Hey guys, just wondering--I'm planning to quit my job and become a SAHM once the baby comes, but... uh... how long before my due date should I do that? (Assuming I feel well enough to keep working; if I really don't I will stop earlier. It's only a part time job).

I was thinking I'd quit at the end of February and give myself around 2 weeks before the due date, but... should I give myself more time? Or is it safe to give myself less time? What did y'all do, those went from working to staying at home?

I'm torn on this one. On the one hand, it's nice to have some time not working before the baby comes, to have some time to yourself and try to relax as much as you can.

On the other hand, those last weeks can really drag if you aren't working. My first was born ten days after the end of the school year (I was a teacher) and I was going nuts!!!

So I really think it's a personal decision, and everyone will have differing opinions. I wouldn't stop working more than two weeks before,and probably would actually choose like a week before if that, but can understand why some people would want to.

• So my doctor (my general physician, not my OB) prescribed me Econazole Nitrate for two spots of ringworm that I managed to pick up from the gym (I am prone to this skin condition for some reason, always have been). The Dr. knows I am pregnant, and also knows I have a hard time getting rid of this particular skin issue from past episodes. After picking up my prescription, I noticed it is a type C product for pregnant women. Meaning only use if the benefits outweigh the risks; there is no info on whether or not this topical cream is harmful to an unborn baby.......part of me is freaking out, the other part of me is saying relax its only two tiny spots so we aren't even using that much of the cream and chances are the baby won't be affected.......Should I be freaking out, or listening to my rational side?? (Other creams that are pregnancy safe have been tried and failed)

January siggy challenge - Pregnant lady problems