June 2015 Moms
Options

Sleep help for husband

Hello! My husband works 7 on 7 off over nights, so for an entire week it's just me and my 11 week old son at night and we've gotten into a nice groove with sleeping. I am breastfeeding and he usually gets up twice to feed and even if I need to change a diaper usually goes back to sleep easily. When my husband is home I try to have him change his diaper after I feed at night so I can get back to sleep faster, but he has the hardest time getting him back to sleep and starts to get frustrated if it doesn't happen right away which makes it worse and I end up out of bed anyway. He also has never tried to put him down for a nap which is even hard for me to do sometimes. I am going back to work next week and my husband will be watching him more, what can we do to get my son used to my husband caring for him more?

Re: Sleep help for husband

• Options
    I hate to say it, but there isn't a trick here. Your DH is just going to have to do more to get LO use to him. My DH had to find his own way through trial and error on what works for him to soothe LO. Good luck.
  • Options
    Yeah, there isnt much you can do. Dh needs to just find his own way to bond with LO to help soothe him. My husband was having the hardest time getting our son to sleep during nighttime feedings and would get so frustrated and bring him to me, and LO would be lights out in under 2 minutes... i think it's just because i spent 24/7 with him and just picked up on what he likes. Now DH has his own system now that LO is 3 months old, but it took him awhile since he wasn't with him as much as i was.

Good luck! I know it can be frustrating!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I hate to say it, but there isn't a trick here. Your DH is just going to have to do more to get LO use to him. My DH had to find his own way through trial and error on what works for him to soothe LO. Good luck.

This. I just went back to work this week and DH has the morning shift with LO...he's figuring it out. He'll get used to it and bonus is that LO will get more used to him as well.
  • Options
    I was so excited to read this thread because we're sort of having the same issue. I guess there's no magic trick! Dang!
  • Options
    I'm lazy and still just let LO fall asleep on the boob at night. Still works every time.  :-/ 
    Guess I should've saved that for FFFC??
    Me-37, DH-38
    Married in 2006, TTC #1 since Jan 2012

Baby Boy born June 1, 2015

He settles her in her home as a happy mother of children, praise the Lord! (Psalms 113:9)
    And the peace of God, which surpasses all understand, will guard your heart and mind in Jesus Christ (Philippians 4:7)

• Options
    One thing that I think helped is I was at my wits end one evening (not saying this is needed) and I couldn't get him to calm down, so I just handed him to DH and said your turn. Next thing I know LO is talking to dad for ten min. I guess my suggestion is make him do it if it takes you leaving the house maybe try that.