May 2016 Moms
Options

Teachers, nurses, and anyone else who can't just run to the bathroom at work

How are you all holding up? I teach 80min block periods and keep drinking water to feel less sea sick, but then I have to pee SO badly partway through class and I'm stuck. By the end of each period, I'm trying to get to the bathroom quickly but am feeling both full, and nauseated. Our principal is very strict about us needing to monitor the halls between classes too. Not fun.

Re: Teachers, nurses, and anyone else who can't just run to the bathroom at work

• Options
    ecable5513ecable5513 member
    edited September 2015
    I'm a nurse and have been struggling at times as well. Working in the ICU we have situations when you just can't leave the bedside no matter how badly My need to pee is! Honestly, I already have a "nurses bladder" so it's been manageable. I just try to cut back on how fast I drink my water throughout the day. Good luck!
  • Options
    I echo ecable...I am a nurse and I work an on extremly busy PCU floor and I have gotten a nurses bladder so although I have to go sometimes I just can't..but when I can I make up for it!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I work in the library currently at my school - and although for the most part I can run to the bathroom, more often than not I don't make it there. I've learned to carry barf bags with me :( The bathroom is really far from my station here and it really stinks! But soon, I won't even be able to run, as there will be more and more students coming in as the semester goes on. I've grossed out a couple students on my way to the toilet. Haha. 
    TTC #1 - Started 7/2015
    MC #1 - 1/10/2014
    MC #2 - 10/15/2015

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    This is something that I am worried about, lucky I can go in between periods and we call it "monitoring the bathrooms" it is a very important job you know. But we only have 3 min passing period, so it is a rush.

Married to my Soul Mate since 09/06/09

BabyFruit Ticker

MC 10.23.15 @ 10 weeks
  • Options
    I am thankful for the teacher across the half from me. I just prop open her door and she knows that means "please watch my class" so I can go to the bathroom. But I teach high schoolers so they are busy working and not going crazy without me. 

Me: 33 DH: 39
    DD 1: 5-24-13
    TTC#2: BFP: 8-23-15 MMC: 10-29-15
    DD 2: 9-15-16
    DD 3: 9-16-17

• Options
    My school doesn't have AC and we just got over a major heat wave (heat totally aggravates the nausea), I've just walked out of class a few times into the hall for fear I was going to get sick. Its a hard knock life
    Married since 7.21.12 

BFP #1: 8.26.15 

EDD: 5.4.16 

• Options
    ICU nurse here... luckily last night I was able to go often, but I'm dreading not being so lucky one day soon!
  • Options
    kbrands7kbrands7 member
    edited September 2015
    kjac38 said:

My school doesn't have AC and we just got over a major heat wave (heat totally aggravates the nausea), I've just walked out of class a few times into the hall for fear I was going to get sick. Its a hard knock life

Yep, same here! Thankfully, today was a good bit cooler.
  • Options
    I'm a nurse too. I've gone from zero pees at work to usually 2, so I've been ok.
    Tmi here though. Today I missed my break, and then missed my poop window. Now I feel so uncomfortable. I tried to go later, but it's not the same. I wasn't doing to bad with constipation until now. :(
  • Options
    I'm also an ICU nurse and have the blessing of a nurse's bladder. That said I've been better about drinking water every chance I get so I'm also peeing every chance I get, which is not always as soon as I need to. I'm certain my refusing of junk food, waves of nausea (that so far I'm able to hide) and increased urination are going to give me away before I'm ready to tell anyone.
  • Options
    I'm a theatre nurse.. and as long as I don't scrub for long cases I can generally skip out for a minute to pee before scrubbing... I have more problems making sure I'm eating frequently enough than peeing at the moment
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    I was having some trouble at first, only because I'm used to being able to hold my pee until I have an off period.

Now as soon as I feel like I can go, I do. I make sure to go right before a class starts, and if I feel the least bit of a need, I go between classes. I've also tried to drink water more sensibly. More when I have an off period, and then just sipping it during class.

Trust me, my first week I knew I was pregnant, I was freaking out about how to manage this, but I already seem to have a groove. I just have to be more aware that I'm not going to be able to hold it as well anymore.
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    Teacher over here too... I'm also a high school teacher, but 9th grade boys are not quite mature enough to leave alone, plus my school really frowns on that. Luckily, the longest I have to go is 3- 48 minute periods (about 2.5 hours) without a bathroom break. I'm drinking SO much water though that this will probably get harder as baby gets bigger. My coworker who teaches next door is free one of those periods so in a pinch I could ask her to cover while I run to the bathroom. The worst is that I'm literally as far away as possible from a female bathroom. teaching at an all boys school has never been so rough.
  • Options
    I'm a teacher (Pre-K) and have done ok so far this pregnancy because I only teach from 8-12:30, with a brief break around 10:00. Last pregnancy I was throwing up so much that I had to tell the teacher across the hall from me at like 7 weeks and then leave both of our doors open while I ran to the bathroom. Definitely left my class out of ratio more times than I could count, but it was preferable to throwing up in front of my students on a daily basis.
  • Options
    I'm a mental health counselor.. I'm REALLY worried that if morning sickness kicks in, I'll have to rush out to throw up while I have a patient. Not only is it super embarrassing, but it also means my entire office will figure it out way before I'm ready to tell them. Fx that I'll just have nausea at the very most. 

Image result for green dog

Me: 30 DH: 32
    BFP #1: 9/12/2015
    DD: 6/1/2016
    BFP #2: 1/16/2018 MC 2/2/2018
  • Options
    I told my teacher neighbor. She understands "the knock." I do the same for her. ;)
  • Options
    @MrsCase14, that was me with my last pregnancy. I was working in nursing case management and there were a few times I had to grab the trashcan in my office DURING an appointment with one of my patients. It was horrible. I didn't want to announce that early at work but there wasn't any way to hide it at all. 

image image
  • Options
    Oh man, that must have been awful @.Kelly.! Fx for you it's not that bad this time around

Image result for green dog

Me: 30 DH: 32
    BFP #1: 9/12/2015
    DD: 6/1/2016
    BFP #2: 1/16/2018 MC 2/2/2018