April 2016 Moms
Options

Have any other soon to be moms found out they had an O negative blood type?

Today I went for my first prenatal visit. All that basically happened was the nurse and I went over my health etc. & she then told me I had an O negative blood type and my husband has an O positive & so will baby. It kind of worries me because of the Rh factors and such and I was just wondering if any other soon to be moms are in the same boat or is there any moms that have already had their child and had the same blood type as me. Thanks!

Re: Have any other soon to be moms found out they had an O negative blood type?

• Options
    All this really means is that you will get additional injection(s) to make it so you don't have what is essentially an allergic reaction to your baby. It used to be a big problem before they had the shot but now it's very manageable.
    Anniversary 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I found out the same thing when I had a miscarriage in the spring. I had a shot then, and I'll get another at 28 weeks - that's it! Like said above, with the RH injection, nothing to worry about.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @brimarie83 my nurse didn't tell me too much about it but she did say between 24-28 weeks I would receive that shot. It's scary to think about, but like you both said with the shot I should be fine!
  • Options
    I'm just curious because I'm fascinated by these things, how do they know baby's blood type? Isn't it possible to be either one of your types?
    First BFP 12/2012, MMC at 9 weeks
    Second BFP 6/2013, resulted in DS, born 2/23/14 :-)
    Third BFP 5/2015, natural MC at 6 weeks
    Fourth BFP 8/2015, hoping for sticky little brother or sister to H!

Proud SAHM to our little monkey H. 
    Pro Vax, extended breasftfeeder, ring sling and stroller loving mama. I don't judge you unless you don't vaccinate!
  • Options
    @NachosAndPeaches I'm not exactly sure how it works but the nurse said since my husband is O positive so will the baby & I do know O positive is dominant over O negative; Also I do believe it is possible to be either type. Other than that I don't know!
  • Options

I'm just curious because I'm fascinated by these things, how do they know baby's blood type? Isn't it possible to be either one of your types?

From what I understand, your blood type is one of 4 groups- A, B, AB, and O. You get a copy of both parents. So if both parents are A then baby will be A. If parents are one of each, then baby will be AB. A and B will dominate of O, so if 1 parent is A and 1 is O, the baby will be A. The only way for baby to be type O is if both parents are O. The + and - are whether or not your blood is positive for Rh antibodies. Positive will be dominate over negative, so if 1 parent is negative and 1 is positive then baby will be positive.

Does that make sense? That was a lot harder to type than just say haha.

• Options
    It's possible for baby to be either (I think 75% positive, 25% negative if I remember my genetics correctly).

It's one of the many parts of pregnancy you can't control, so I wouldn't stress too much!
  • Options
    It's all so confusing lol! But thanks for the responses every one! I definitely feel a lot better about it now
  • Options
    I'm in the same boat. It's really NBD unless you start bleeding for some reason, in which case you have to get the Rhogam shot asap. Otherwise you will get one shot at 28 weeks and another after the delivery. 
  • Options
    I'm O positive and hubby is O negative doc said baby will be O positive and everything will be fine. Good luck to you
  • Options
    I am A- so I will also have to get rhogam later in the pregnancy. Boo for more shots
  • Options
    The potential problem is the transfer of blood from your baby to you. If your baby has a positive blood type and mixes with yours, the possibility exists of your body creating antibodies against the foreign blood type (in this instance O+). If this is your first pregnancy, there is no complication. The complication is with consecutive pregnancies. There can be an increased risk of miscarriage if this was left unmanaged. The shots happen at twenty something weeks, right after delivery and anytime you have heavy spotting or a miscarriage. These shots last 12 weeks. When you receive the shot, you are provided with a card that states It really isn't anything to be concerned about, try not to worry. Just make sure to let doctors know you are RH-
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for the great answers! They're all appreciated!
  • Options
    Some of my post got cut off...

The card states the day you received the shot, the vaccine lot number, administering hospital.

If you find yourself in the need of emergency services, which I pray you don't, just don't forget to mention you're RH-

I am O- and have received a dozen or so of these shots. It's really nbd, the needle is very small :)
  • Options

I didn't see anyone mention it, but you will also get a third Rhogam shot a day or two after you deliver. This will protect you for your next pregnancy.

• Options
    I don't think I have seen this info in above posts, but the issue only occurs if you have a negative Rh factor and your spouse has a positive one. The letter doesn't matter - only the +/-.

This is why they used to require blood tests for marriage licenses and why they now require initial blood typing in prenatal visits.

We've come so far in the last 30 years. My cousin, in her late 20s, was born with a host of birth defects that they believe occurred because her parents had incompatible Rh factors. With the preventive shots today, this is no longer an issue.
  • Options
    I have an O negative blood type and I never knew any of this! :O
  • Options

I have an O negative blood type and I never knew any of this! :O

It only matters if your husband is Rh positive, and even then it just means a few extra shots. Nothing to worry about in the grand scheme of things.
    Anniversary 
  • Options
    To be honest, I have no idea what blood type OH has. I'm not sure he does either...