February 2016 Moms
Options

Placenta covering cervix....

Anyone else have a placenta that is covering their cervix? Mine is partially covering. They said It will likely move as the baby grows but it doesn't always.They are going to check it again by ultrasound at 30 weeks. They asked a bunch of times if I'd had any spotting, which in the beginning (up to 12 weeks) I'd had random spotting but nothing recent. They said if I did develope spotting they would put me on pelvic rest. Why would that placement of the placenta cause spotting? Should I be taking it easy when it comes to exercising, sex, etc?
Baby 2.0!
BabyFruit Ticker

"http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/32499b"
 28 Years old DH 29
Married since 8/7/10

Re: Placenta covering cervix....

• Options

Anyone else have a placenta that is covering their cervix? Mine is partially covering. They said It will likely move as the baby grows but it doesn't always.They are going to check it again by ultrasound at 30 weeks. They asked a bunch of times if I'd had any spotting, which in the beginning (up to 12 weeks) I'd had random spotting but nothing recent. They said if I did develope spotting they would put me on pelvic rest. Why would that placement of the placenta cause spotting? Should I be taking it easy when it comes to exercising, sex, etc?

Did your doctor tell you to take it easy right now? If not then there's no reason to. These are all questions you should be asking your doctor, not strangers on the Internet.
  • Options
    I haven't heard of Placenta pervia being a reason to abstine for sex or regular activities. I'm not exactly sure why it causes spotting the body is strange.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had a partial previa at 12 weeks. OB said she was sure it will move. She also said, If I was not told to abstain from sex or to take it easy, I was fine. She did mention that spotting occurs with previa but all she said was that it was painless spotting, didn't mention why. FX that your placenta moves in time for baby to arrive.

• Options
    notasycophantnotasycophant member
    edited September 2015
    Mine moved up. They checked at again @ my 20 week ultrasound. My RE says in most cases it does resolve itself and that it can cause spotting if it doesn't. Hoping you have good news at 30 weeks. Just take it easy in the mean time.

ETA: Mine did tell me to abstain if possible. It wasn't compulsory, just a suggestion.
  • Options
    I had a marginal previa with my first pregnancy and I was put on complete pelvic rest. I think they just do that to prevent the placenta from getting bumped during sex, because it could start to tear away from the uterus and cause bleeding.

My biggest piece of advice is to have your OB check that the placenta has moved out of the way by doing a transvaginal ultrasound. Mine did not and assumed from the regular ultrasound that it had moved out of the way until I started bleeding profusely during an internal check at 40 weeks and had to be transferred by ambulance for an emergency c section right away. This time I am seeing a high risk MFM doctor already (I'm having twins) and he said they will automatically check the placenta by internal ultrasound because of my history.
    BabyFruit Ticker Follow my baby story at: http://www.nycitified.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    Spotting can be common with these because as you get further along and your cervix begins to soften and open, usually more towards the later part of pregnancy, it can detach from that part of placenta covering it. It then causes bleeding.
  • Options
    Mine was close at this point in my last pregnancy, but my ov said it usually moves up as baby grows. I would just take the advice of your OB and continue under the impression that it will move as your pregnancy goes along.
  • Options
    Thank you ladies! My scan was a bit of a whirlwind since we had my parents there and were on a bit of a time crunch to get them on the road across state! I was looking for some real world experiences with PP and appreciate the helpful responses. Of course I'll ask my doctor more about this at my appointment next month. :)
    Baby 2.0!
    BabyFruit Ticker

28 Years old DH 29
    Married since 8/7/10
  • Options

I had a marginal previa with my first pregnancy and I was put on complete pelvic rest. I think they just do that to prevent the placenta from getting bumped during sex, because it could start to tear away from the uterus and cause bleeding.

My biggest piece of advice is to have your OB check that the placenta has moved out of the way by doing a transvaginal ultrasound. Mine did not and assumed from the regular ultrasound that it had moved out of the way until I started bleeding profusely during an internal check at 40 weeks and had to be transferred by ambulance for an emergency c section right away. This time I am seeing a high risk MFM doctor already (I'm having twins) and he said they will automatically check the placenta by internal ultrasound because of my history.

The tech said towards the end they like to look closer at the cervix with the transvaginal US. Which they didn't do with ds so I think she wanted to get a closer look at the placenta with out alarming me. I assume the 30 week will be TV as well but if not I'll request it!
    Baby 2.0!
    BabyFruit Ticker

28 Years old DH 29
    Married since 8/7/10
  • Options
    My doctor said mine is low. He's hopeful it will move by my next US. I wasn't placed on any restrictions but I understand some women are, so I would call your doctor and clarify so you don't have to worry.
  • Options
    I had complete placenta previa last pregnancy from 16 weeks. It is more severe, obviously, than partial. But I was told no sex, pelvic rest, and not even orgasm (which was really rough) tone down my workouts. I was told to prepare for a c-section the majority of the pregnancy and had multiple scans checking the placenta to see if it moved. My last ultrasound was at 36 weeks and it finally was far enough up to allow me to give birth naturally and I went into labor a week later!

This is just my story. Hopefully yours moves up and out of the way soon! You may want to clarify any restrictions with your doctor.

p.s. I didn't have any  bleeds the whole pregnancy which was very lucky!
    TTC #1 Since December 2009
    BFP #1 05/16/10 EDD 01/13/11 natural m/c 11w1d (unknown cause)
    BFP #2 03/24/11 EDD 12/06/11 missed m/c D&C 10w (Triploidy xxx)
    BFP #3 12/24/11 EDD 09/02/12 missed m/c D&C 10w4d (Triploidy xxx)
    BFP #4 02/10/14 EDD 10/19/14  - Baby boy made his arrival 10/02/14
    !
    BFP #5 05/08/15 EDD 01/19/16 C/P 05/14/15
    BFP #6 06/05/15 EDD 02/18/16 *It's a GIRL!!*

BabyFetus Ticker

My Blog     My Chart
  • Options
    Yeah, at my appt yesterday my dr. said mine was low but that it should move as baby grows. Nothing for me to worry about right now 
  • Options
    ShatzegirlShatzegirl member
    edited September 2015
    I had placenta previa with my first pregnancy and thankfully it moved out of the way at the very end! I was put on pelvic rest and medicine to relax my uterus. (I kept having Braxton hicks which increased the risk of bleeding.) I didn't have any bleeding. Just a little spotting at the very beginning of my pregnancy. I hope yours will move, too while your baby and uterus grows! It seems like the odds are in your favor.
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Mine is low and my doctor said ad long as I havent had spotting that he isn't putting any restrictions on me. I have another us in 3 weeks to check and see if it's moved up.
  • Options
    I wanted to mention that I used visualization with my placenta previa. I would envision the placenta moving up. Sounds silly but I believe in the mind/body connection. The doctors were shocked that it had moved because it was covering almost all of my cervix.
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I had partial previa with my first pregnancy at the 20week a/s. The OB ordered a following scan at 28 weeks and everything looked good and and clear for a vaginal delivery. I did not have any restrictions on activities during that time. My friend, right now, has full placental previa. She may have other issues too, but she has been put on pelvic rest, is being watched closely, and will probably end up on bed rest with a c section. If your OB hasn't mentioned pelvic rest or any other restrictions, ask. But if he/she says that you do not have restrictions, then you don't need to worry. I literally hiked almost every other day during that 8 week wait time and had sex. I had no issues.
  • Options

I wanted to mention that I used visualization with my placenta previa. I would envision the placenta moving up. Sounds silly but I believe in the mind/body connection. The doctors were shocked that it had moved because it was covering almost all of my cervix.

That's a good idea! Can't hurt... ;)
    Baby 2.0!
    BabyFruit Ticker

28 Years old DH 29
    Married since 8/7/10
  • Options
    I was skimming through other birth months, I am actually due October 10th. I had a complete placenta previa and had my last scan a couple weeks ago. It had fully migrated out of the way, so it is totally possible! They had me on pelvic rest until 32 weeks. No sexual activity (meaning, no orgasms!) And limited to light exercise (walking, not running, no lifting). Every doctor is a little different, but if you rest and follow your doctor's recommendations you should be fine.

The doctors said that if the placenta didn't migrate, we would have had a c-section at 36 weeks, and the only real risk we would have run into was our baby being in NICU for a short amount of time.

Just take it easy and don't let this consume you. Do not google, ask your doctor questions. Google was my worst enemy!

Sorry to totally crash the February birth mom's community! I was looking for a post, and came across this and wanted to offer you some hope!

Good luck with everything!
  • Options
    @kristanbarker , My RE also mentioned having to perform a c section at 37 weeks if it didn't migrate. But I'm guessing that it does migrate for lots of women before week 30. There's always hope.
  • Options
    I just had my AS yesterday and I was also told mine was low and that worse case I will need a c-section. However, they also said that there is a very good chance that it will rise as the weeks pass, and that I should have another US at 32 weeks to check on it again. I was told that my placenta should be at least 2 cm from my cervix for everything to be fine, right now it is at 1.4 so it's pretty close to what it needs to be! I hope it does move, because I really wanted to have a natural birth, but I know complications can arise and change plans. I wasn't told I needed any sort of restrictions or pelvic rest so far. I haven't had any spotting yet either through the entire pregnancy. Still a wee bit nervous though, just because it's something unexpected.
  • Options
    I too have placenta previa. I'm 21 weeks this Friday and Monday of next week they said they would check it again. This is my second pregnancy with no complications with my first kiddo. I'm hoping mine will grow away too. Keep us updated!
  • Options
    Thank you!!
    Baby 2.0!
    BabyFruit Ticker

28 Years old DH 29
    Married since 8/7/10
  • Options
    I have complete placenta previa currently and was told to come back at the end of the month for another scan (I'll be 26 weeks). I've had no spotting so was not put on any restrictions yet. If it doesn't move, like others have said I'll be having a c section.
  • Options
    I had my anatomy scan at 19weeks. I was called later by a dr (not mine) that I could possibly have my placenta covering my cervix. She didn't give me any more details on that. She told me she wasn't 100% sure and I would be schedule another US in about 4-6 weeks. She told me no heavy lighting (10lbs) and no sex etc. Im 21wks6d and have my regular ob apt next Tuesday. So I guess I'll ask my dr more about it then. I hope I don't have it or I hope it moves by the time Im almost due. I've had 3 vaginal births and would like my last baby to also be delivered vaginally.
  • Options
    When I was pregnant with DD I had the same AS report as you... Placenta close to the cervix. I went for a follow up US at about 28 weeks and my placenta moved to a safe distance and I was able to have a vaginal delivery. The best thing that came from those 8 weeks of waiting is that it allowed me to open my mind to be flexible with all delivery options instead of having my heart set on a natural delivery.
  • Options
    Mine moved away from my 12 week check up to my 20 week
  • Options
    Mine's 1.5 cm from covering my cervix now. Getting another ultrasound at 24 weeks to re-check. Similar thing happened with my last pregnancy and, as my uterus expanded, baby moved up.  Hoping the same will happen this time.