Working Moms

Pump parts at work

I'm pumping three times daily at work and am wondering what other moms use to keep their pump parts in? I keep mine in a ziplock bag and clean with the medela cleaning wipes between pumps, then actually wash and sterilize when I get home. So I'm using a ziplock everyday which is crazy wasteful! But I can't reuse them since they get moisture in from the milk drops stuck in the parts and from the wipes. Is there a reusable bag or other ideas that work well for you? Suggestions to not use so much wasteful plastic?? Thanks!

Re: Pump parts at work

• I was wondering the same thing.  I used a ziplock everyday my first time breastfeeding.  Now as I prepare to breastfeed a second time, I was wondering about some other reusable bag/container as well.
  • I have a small hard lunchbox that I used to put mine in, then at night would just wash the inside of the lunch box
    Mrs. H
    Crohn's Dx: August 2008
    Endometriosis Dx: May 2010
    Married: 05/19/2012
    TTC #1: June 2013
    BFP: December 2013
    DS: Born 08/29/2014
    TTC #2: July 2015

BFP #2: September 25, 2015

• Loading the player...
  • That's a good idea. You found something small enough to fit in the pump bag? I'll start looking! Thanks!
  • I used a backpack. But would just put the lunchbox in the fridge while at work.
    Mrs. H

• I use wet bags to store my pump parts. They are mostly used in cloth diapering and can get expensive but my MIL made me several. I'm sure consignment stores with CD or CD swap sites/craiglist would have some. They can be put in the washing machine or just hand washed. Super easy and cute patterns too!
  • I use a Chinese food take out container (the rectangular plastic kind). I wash it when I wash the parts.
  • CarrieB.CarrieB. member
    edited August 2015
    I used a soft sided lunch box. Parts and bottles of milk went in the lunch box in the fridge at work. Pump bag stayed under my desk. The lunch bag had a buckle on it so I could clip it to my pump bag as I was walking back and forth from pumping.
    IVF, acupuncture, meditation and a miracle. 

Our sweet Valentine's Day FET.

• CarrieB. said:
    I used a soft sided lunch box. Parts and bottles of milk went in the lunch box in the fridge at work. Pump bag stayed under my desk. The lunch bag had a buckle on it so I could clip it to my pump bag as I was walking back and forth from pumping.
    This is what I do, except I use a small rolling travel bag to carry both pump (giant rental) and a small, soft-sided cooler (which is easy to wash. Found it at Target - now is a good time of year to get one!).
    Me-37, DH-38
    Married in 2006, TTC #1 since Jan 2012

Baby Boy born June 1, 2015

He settles her in her home as a happy mother of children, praise the Lord! (Psalms 113:9)
    And the peace of God, which surpasses all understand, will guard your heart and mind in Jesus Christ (Philippians 4:7)

• NLewis1 said:
    I have a small hard lunchbox that I used to put mine in, then at night would just wash the inside of the lunch box
    This is what I always did and then I put in two ice packs and never had to worry about putting this stuff in the fridge. I actually didn't clean mine between pumpings because it stayed cold enough that the breastmilk didn't go bad or anything so there was no need to wash them every time. At night I would wash everything and repack for the next day. 
  • 2-Step said:

NLewis1 said:

I have a small hard lunchbox that I used to put mine in, then at night would just wash the inside of the lunch box

This is what I always did and then I put in two ice packs and never had to worry about putting this stuff in the fridge. I actually didn't clean mine between pumpings because it stayed cold enough that the breastmilk didn't go bad or anything so there was no need to wash them every time. At night I would wash everything and repack for the next day. 

I also didn't clean my parts in between pump sessions since it stayed cold
    Mrs. H

• Wet bag from etsy!
  • I wish I read this a few months ago when I was still pumping at work!  I put a new ziplock bag in my soft-sided lunch box, which went in the fridge every day. Others here have posted that they use a soft-sided lunch box, but didn't elaborate on how they cleaned it each night.  I wouldn't want the pump parts to touch milk drops from the day before even if it did remain in the refrigerator or near an ice pack at all times.
    Before having another I'll definitely look into a dry bag or hard-sided lunch box that can be washed every night and won't leak milk that drips off of the pump parts.
    Thanks everyone for the input!
  • NLewis1NLewis1 member
    edited September 2015
    I just washed my lunch box out with soapy water and a clean rag
    Mrs. H