Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Post baby weight loss, what am I doing wrong?

Hi ladies! Hoping you can help me. I gained 32 pounds during LO pregnancy. About half of that came off pretty quickly. I have now had 15 pounds to lose for 2 months! LO is 10 weeks.
I worked out and ate pretty healthy the entire time and have really tried to post preg as well. I have started workouts again and back to some pretty intense ones.
I am pumping of feeding a little, I only make about 3 ounces a day :( so formula it is. So my question is, eating healthy and clean, working out, and the scale hasn't moved.

Some say BF will drop the weight, others say it will stay on until I'm done breast feeding. Please let me know your experiences etc. I know I should just enjoy this time but I also don't want to or can't afford to have to but all new pants going into fall. What explaination or experience do you all have!?

Appreciate it.

Re: Post baby weight loss, what am I doing wrong?

• 10 weeks in you really cannot expect the weight to have dropped off. Here's a secret - I'm a fashion model with a 6 month old and my weight has only just now got back to normal. All the celebrities and models you see in magazines? Most of them have help in the way of expensive nannies and/or chefs or au pairs who can aid them in their fight to get back in to shape. I went back to working out properly at 6 weeks. My doctor wouldn't let me do anything other than yoga or running until then, as my body needed time to recover. I worked out until week 36 of my pregnancy.
    Take it easy on yourself. Stress makes you carry weight, especially around the 'problem' areas. Take your time, keep eating clean and training and you will get there. It took you nearly 10 months to make this baby and put on your weight, so you can't expect it to drop off overnight.
  • BigboobsmcgeeBigboobsmcgee member
    edited September 2015
    OP it sounds like you have some unrealistic expectations for yourself. 15 pounds is not a lot and besides eating well, exercising regularly, drinking water and living a healthy lifestyle there really isn't anything else you can do. You're doing it all right! Be patient with yourself.
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks ladies. Weight has always been a struggle for me and I want to do it all and be right back in my clothes. Add being back to a demanding career at 8 weeks and yeah I think I need to go have some wine and enjoy ha thank you
  • I'm struggling at 19wpp. I struggle to find the time to workout due to working 50 hours a week, pumping 4 hours a day, and caring for my baby (oh and me time and husband time and housework etc). I just sucked it up and bought new clothes so I look better and feel better about the clothes I fit in. I'm eating good but also enjoying myself. Baby snuggles > exercise any day of the week. I have 9lbs to go and have had those 9lbs since the first few weeks postpartum.
  • edited September 2015
    I'm EBF and I've lost 15 lbs more than my weight pre-pregnancy. I was 165 then gained 18 lbs, now I'm down to 150 and baby is 5 months old. My friend who breastfed looks the same as she did pre-pregnancy possibly thinner. I never heard that you don't lose weight until you're done breastfeeding? You will need to drink a ton of water and eat extra calories otherwise you'll have no energy and produce not enough milk for baby and to pump. The water I think has helped with my weight loss. I also take 2-3 mile walks with baby 3-4 times a week. I lift him up and down and play with him on the ground doing sit-ups and leg lifts with him. I don't know what other tips I can give and I'm not an expert, this is just my own experience.
  • I kept on my post-baby weight until I started weaning. Went from 172 lbs the week before delivery to 152 at about 6 weeks postpartum (12 lbs over my prepregnancy weight). Then lost about 7 lbs in just a couple weeks as I dropped feedings. She's 5 1/2 months now and I still have about 5 lbs to go (still nursing morning and evening). Like PP said, it took 9 months to put it on, it will likely take some time to come off! And once your LO is more active, you'll be running around a lot more, too, which means more exercise and more weight coming off. Don't beat yourself up over this; just eat healthy, stay hydrated, and keep moving. Good luck!
  • I am 11w PP and probably about 5or 6 lbs over what I weighed pre-preg. I did BF for the first 6wks and I think that helped. I am not eating super well (I have twins and some days it is a feat to have a pop tart and coffee before 2pm) but the numbers went down fairly easily, but I know I am not in the same shape I was pre-pregnancy. I haven't had time to work out since the kids got here other than walks with them. despite the fact that my weight is going down I can tell my hips are probably wider. Tops fit ok (now that I am not BF) but pants are still snug. So some of your frustration may be 'structural' which may take a while to go back. Go easy on yourself!:) wine sounds like an excellent idea!
  • I'm 18w PP. Due to transfer issues we are nursing and I pump after everytime. I ate super healthy during pregnancy and still do now, though more for milk production. workout when I can. I actually weigh 2 lbs more then I did while pregnant. I Figure I'll worry about it after the BFing is done. My SIL also doesn't lose weight from the BFing.
  • @mbrewington your post sounds like I could've written it! I gained about 45 and lost 30 in the first 2 weeks. Since then the scale has maybe moved down 2 more lbs (14 weeks post). I have struggled with my weight for years as well and so while i know I will probably never have my "old" body back (that I worked my butt of for 6 days a week), it's still a tough pill to swallow...I try to work out when I can and im trying to get some discipline back with my eating habits but after 9 months of having an "excuse," that's been a hard readjustment lol
  • The big secret to losing weight? I recently saw Kevin Smith do a q and a at a local comedy club. He's a fairly famous filmmaker who recently lost about 80 lbs.

He said that everyone always asks him what his secret is. He said it's pretty damn simple. He quit sugar. Except for milk sugar because he loves milk. He only drinks milk, unsweetened tea and water and he doesn't eat sweets. And he walks his dog about a mile every day.
  • The big secret to losing weight? I recently saw Kevin Smith do a q and a at a local comedy club. He's a fairly famous filmmaker who recently lost about 80 lbs. He said that everyone always asks him what his secret is. He said it's pretty damn simple. He quit sugar. Except for milk sugar because he loves milk. He only drinks milk, unsweetened tea and water and he doesn't eat sweets. And he walks his dog about a mile every day.

I love him.
  • janit368 said:

I'm 18w PP. Due to transfer issues we are nursing and I pump after everytime. I ate super healthy during pregnancy and still do now, though more for milk production. workout when I can. I actually weigh 2 lbs more then I did while pregnant. I Figure I'll worry about it after the BFing is done. My SIL also doesn't lose weight from the BFing.

My philosophy. I don't want to jeopardize my milk supply w eating less and/or over excersise.
  • Im in the same boat of not having lost any of my pregnancy weight besides the water weight and baby weight. Still have 40 lbs to be prepregnancy weight but do not want to have my milk production be compromised....sigh....but a healthy happy baby is much more important and Ill get my body back when I am chasing her around. :) Im just a little curvier now... ;))
  • Green tea and ice water are great in addition to working out! I still have 10 to go out of the 40 I gained.
  • I gained 60 pounds super fast with my daughter. In the first 6 weeks I lost 25 pounds due to all the water weight.... Now at 4 months & I have fully lost the entire 60 pounds plus 3 more pounds. I think it just was drinking a lot of fluid, movement and just not stressing over what to eat and what not to eat.... Just eating to nourish my body and energize it... I also went back to work and the constant movement of a busy Job probably helped as well. Just do the best you can! Everyone is different!
  • You've been watching too many celebrity pregnancies. In reality losing all your baby weight should take as long as it took to gain it. My baby is 15 weeks, i gained 50, yes 50 lbs and i still have about 10 to go, and frankly I only lost it quickly because i spent 5 out of the first 10 weeks of my baby's life with severe mastitis and was sick as can be.