May 2016 Moms

Is this very mild morning sickness?

I am 5w5d and until now, nothing approaching MS. Yesterday, felt as if I'd over-eaten (a very rare occurrence for me as I can't stand that feeling) and it made it hard to sleep. Today, I didn't have time for breakfast so I was quite hungry at lunch. I might have overeaten, but the feeling remained for six to seven hours, which seems a bit long, especially as I didn't have THAT much more- just shared some chips and guacamole in addition to my usual meal. I don't feel nauseous so much as REALLY overstuffed. Could it be MS or do I just need to exercise portion control?

Re: Is this very mild morning sickness?

• Hmmm I haven't experienced this but last pregnancy I found it helpful to eat lots of small things throughout the day. I was struggling with feeling queasy when I got hungry and it helped. Maybe it would help your situation too? Good luck!
    Me 27 | DH 28
    DS October 2014
    #2 May 2016
  • You could be bloated. Our digestion slows down causing food to stay in our stomachs longer. I'm just starting week 7. My MS has presented itself in the form of feeling constantly hungover.
  • Loading the player...
  • Sounds like bloating, which is my best frienemy. :)

Practice portion control. Every pregnancy diet advice I've read said that pregnancy is no longer the time to skip breakfast. Even if you're grabbing a piece of fruit and a kashi granola bar as you're running out the door, you need to do that. Not only does it give you a fresh start, but because fatigue is associated with pregnancy, eating a breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack, will keep your blood sugar steady and help to avoid crashes. It will also help keep your from eating too much in one sitting then paying for it later. Another thing is, there is only so many vitamins and nutrients you're body can absorb at one time, so you need to spread your calcium and vitamin c rich foods out through out the day. Not only do you benefit from eating 6 times a day, so does your baby.

I've always been big into nutritious eating and eating 6 times a day after losing weight 18+ years ago, but I ordered What to Expect: Eating Well When You're Expecting because this is my first pregnancy, and I vaguely knew what's off limits. I also vaguely knew that you needed to increase your calcium intake, but I didn't know vitamin C was a such a big deal. Even though I hate "diet" books per say, this was is very gentle and practical with some great advice on what types of foods you should target and why it's important. It's also a good reference book for when you don't feel well and how you can use what you eat and when you eat to help ease some of the common pregnancy issues.
  • Yeah, that was not a planned breakfast skip. Usually I at least have coffee (which is half milk and tides me over until I am awake enough to have an appetite) but I am cutting down, so I intentionally passed on my husband getting me Starbucks as he typically does. I had breakfast planned, but was running late, didn't grab it, and wasn't hungry enough to notice my mistake until mid-church. Oops.

All my meals have been pretty well balanced-- one day maybe higher in calcium, less in leafy greens, the next, higher in greens, less some other thing, but averaging out pretty good. Up until this issue, I've been SUPER hungry-- but never ate more than a normal portion at one time (and didn't this weekend either.) I guess it's time for tiny portions because it happened again last night and I portioned that pretty carefully. And it didn't feel that way until maybe an hour later. So confusing. I've never had issues judging whether I am full or not until now.
  • It's gas. Try the downward dog position. :)
    My TTC History:
    2009: missed miscarriage #1 at 9 weeks (trisomy 16)
    2010: Infertility
    2011: Diagnosis and treatment (low sperm count, anastrozole for DH, clomid for me + IUI)
    2012: Baby #1
    2014: Baby #2
    October 2015: missed miscarriage #2 at 11 weeks (trisomy 22)
    March 2016 BFP#5, due November 2016.

My Charts since 2009

• I had this issue a lot in my first pregnancy. I think it was partly related to slower digestion (everything takes longer to go down the drain so you end up feeling like it's a rock in your stomach) and partly related to reflux. I had never had heartburn or acid reflux before I got pregnant, but as soon as that progesterone kicked in I had it the entire time, and that always gave me that "I've eaten too much feeling". I also really hate that feeling, and it made it hard for me to eat appropriately throughout my whole pregnancy. Hope yours passes soon!