March 2016 Moms

What are you eating for lunch?

I'm having a heck of a time trying to figure out what to make for lunches, since I do not like chicken or seafood and cannot eat lunch meat (I know you can heat it up, but eeew). I'm worried about my protein intake in general since i have a short list of meats I'm eating and I don't like beans. I'm awful! What are you guys making for lunch?

Re: What are you eating for lunch?

• Peanut butter and jelly?
    BFP 2/11/15 (EDD 10/13/15). MMC 3/30/15 D&C 4/3/15 "We will always love you"
    DD1 - BFP 7/23/15 (EDD 3/31/16).  "We believe in you rainbow" DOB 4/2/16
    DD2 - BFP 2/9/18 (EDD 10/19/18).  "Grow baby grow!" DOB 10/24/18
    BFP 11/16/20 (EDD 7/31/21).  "Round 3 FIGHT!"
  • Oh heck yes! I forgot about the good ole PB&J. Thanks :)
  • Loading the player...
  • edited September 2015

I'm eating chicken nugs for lunch today so that won't help you, but I also have a bag of steamable edamame and I believe that is a good source of protein if you like it.

eta: I know edamame is a bean, but it's not bean-like lol.

Me: 29  DH: 31
    Married 10/13/12
    TTC Since 8/2016

• I'm not feeling meat right now so I throw peanut butter in my breakfast smoothies and then I'll eat nuts with my salad at lunch!
  • I can't stop eating salads with Olive Garden dressing since lasts weeks massive outcry for OG! Ha ha!

I'm also kind of grossed out by meat right now. To make up for the missing protein I've been snacking on nuts, Greek yogurt, cottage cheese (I normally hate it but I currently seem to LOVE the breakstones with fruit single serving cups), quinoa, and edamame.

December Siggy Challenge

imageimageimage
  • I'm eating scrambled eggs with some cheese and ham...so basically like an omelet but I'm too lazy for all that flipping.  I gained more than I would have liked in the first tri so now that I'm feeling better I'm trying to eat better.  I know the eggs are healthy and will keep me full for a while.  If I'm in a hurry I'll eat those Jimmy Dean Delites occasionally.  Also peanut butter on a whole grain bagel keeps me full for a while.  
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I can't stop eating salads with Olive Garden dressing since lasts weeks massive outcry for OG! Ha ha!

I'm also kind of grossed out by meat right now. To make up for the missing protein I've been snacking on nuts, Greek yogurt, cottage cheese (I normally hate it but I currently seem to LOVE the breakstones with fruit single serving cups), quinoa, and edamame.

Yes. Breakstones has the best cottage cheese. I can't eat other brands.
  • Definitely try eggs: quiches, scrambles (in the microwave at work), deviled, egg salad sandwich (if you like eggs lol)
  • Eggs have been my go-to protein when I can't stomach meat. Hard boiled, poached, scrambled. I haven't met an egg I didn't like this pregnancy.

I had an aversion to PB in the first trimester, but that's gone so I've been noshing on green apples and PB.

Just bought some cottage cheese and greek yogurt to mix with fruit.

Whole wheat tortilla with hummus and spinach, sometimes I throw some black beans in there. And siracha, of course. Siracha on EVERYTHING.

I've been using a food tracking app to get a better picture of what I'm eating and what I'm lacking, and it's been a real eye-opener for me. I'm definitely trying to keep my diet in check and making sure that the foods I choose are nutrient-dense. I'm much less active than I was last go around, and I don't really want to gain more than necessary.
  • Oh shoot, if you don't like beans does that mean no hummus?
  • For lunch I usually just have salad and hummus. Eggs if I'm at home to cook them or beans or a veggie burger if I can stomach them. I've been having a lot of Think Thin bars for snacks though - 20g of protein and no sugar. I'm not normally one to turn to bars and don't puffy heart love the ingredients but they're not horrible (no GMO, etc.) and feel like the extra protein is worth it. 
  • I usually microwave an Amy's frozen meal. They have a wide variety some with more protein than others and all vegetarian and usually organic. I look for the ones on sale $3.50 or below each week. Microwave meals probably arent the healthiest choice but there is no way I'm prepping a lunch the night before (I'm asleep immediately after dinner) and I do feel like I'm getting a better meal than a sandwich.
  • Ham egg and grilled cheese it's delicious.
  • edited September 2015
    smushi said:
    Definitely try eggs: quiches, scrambles (in the microwave at work), deviled, egg salad sandwich (if you like eggs lol)

asdsdflkjaljg OMG now that I can eat eggs again (suck it, food aversions) this sounds like paradise. Love me a good egg salad sandy.

Kissing Sandwich animated GIF

Married 10/13/12
    TTC Since 8/2016

• Chicken salad sandwiches with red grapes, celery, and crushed cashews in it! I seem to be eating this a lot lately!!! It's also great in a wrap or just eaten on crackers. Yummy!! And of course pickles on the side. Gotta have my dill pickles!

Pregnancy Ticker

• My first pregnancy indicator was when I took abite out of a hard boiled egg, which have been my favorite, and almost threw up. I've had eggs fried a few times at breakfast but I'm afraid to venture back to any other kind.
  • @SarahFoley725 I ate eggs almost every single day (either for breakfast or a hardboiled egg as a snack) and was SO devastated when I couldn't even think the word eggs without my stomach getting upset. The nausea finally started to release its grip on my life lol so I tried some this weekend and kept them down without incident. Win!

Married 10/13/12
    TTC Since 8/2016

• @flowerpower5838 I will not lie just reading through this turned my tummy a little bit! I read your post about Edamame though and I totally forgot that it had protein aside from being DELICIOUS. Now I'm ready to leave work and go get some....but I'll still pass on the eggs. At least I know it's not just me and it's bothered other people too!
  • For this week I made myself a big vat of cheese ravioli with pasta sauce and mixed in 2 stir fried green zucchini and 2 yellow zucchini. I'll heat up lunch size portions all week with parmesan cheese on top. 

I'm off of meat too right now, can't stand the thought of it. Some other lunch ideas that I've done recently are sandwiches with hummus, spinach and chopped carrots, and pasta with pesto, pine nuts, and cheese. I also made sweet potatoes and mixed in black beans, corn and pepper jack cheese which was pretty yummy. 
    imageimage

• Has anyone else more or less become lactose intolerant during their pregnancy?
  • Oh, I'm having a turkey and cheese sandwich, but I like them heated up... it makes the cheese melt! I'll also have fruit with it.

• I can never decide so I just wait until I'm at work.  There is a great cafe at my work so it's "easy" to find something good.
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Our family of 5 is complete!!  Love our boys!

• kynbar5kynbar5 member
    edited September 2015
    @SarahFoley725 I became lactose intolerant while pregnant with my last baby. It stuck around and have become very intense with this pregnancy. Things I could get away with (cream cheese,a little regular cheese here and there) are now very bothersome to me. :(
    Edited because spelling has become hard today...
    March '16 December Siggy Challenge - Favorite Christmas Movies/Quotes
  • @kynbar5 So you didn't shake it after baby? Noooo!! :( I have seemed to be okay with cheese in small doses. I went ahead and switched to the soy milk. I have never beenba big ice cream person, but now it sounds good all the time. We had a family function this weekend and my grandpa made home made peach ice cream (my favorite thing ever). He made sure to give me a huge bowl and the last bits. I was crying on the inside because I couldn't say no, and it was a tough 45 minute drive home!
  • @kynbar5 So you didn't shake it after baby? Noooo!! :( I have seemed to be okay with cheese in small doses. I went ahead and switched to the soy milk. I have never beenba big ice cream person, but now it sounds good all the time. We had a family function this weekend and my grandpa made home made peach ice cream (my favorite thing ever). He made sure to give me a huge bowl and the last bits. I was crying on the inside because I couldn't say no, and it was a tough 45 minute drive home!

Sadly, not completely. I think my body got too accustomed to less lactose so now I can't digest it the same. I buy Lactaid whole milk. Also, Lactaid does make ice cream now that is actually pretty good! I was happy because I too, love ice cream :) And I can only imagine that car ride because I've experienced something similar... No thank you to doing that again! Lol
  • "Vegan" icecream made frim cashew milk is also AMAZING, if you can find it.
  • I will have to look for those! My husband took me to Marble Slab to get my favorite cheese cake ice cream and I was giddy as could be until it tried to kill me....that was when I learned haha
  • I will have to look for those! My husband took me to Marble Slab to get my favorite cheese cake ice cream and I was giddy as could be until it tried to kill me....that was when I learned haha

Lmao. You're references crack me up. Mostly because I understand the feelings too well. Haha!
  • I've been mainly eating PB&'J's, turkey & baby spinach sandwiches, salads and string cheese with almonds. Also, lots of apples, oranges, bananas, cucumbers, carrots and pasta :)
  • Clif bars?
  • Awesome ideas guys! Mmmm now I'm hungry.... I'm definitely not completely closed off to beans and chicken, but I'm really picky as to how they're prepared. Looks like eggs might be my go to protein for lunch time. Looks like a lot of repeat lunches for me until my food aversions go away.
  • Black bean veggie burgers with laughing cow cheese.
  • JessJ0727JessJ0727 member
    edited September 2015
    I ate eggs everyday for the first 2 months until one day I couldn't stand even looking at them any more! Now I'm hooked on Wendy's spicy chicken sandwich and Stouffer's lasagna for lunch. I can't eat anything in the morning or evening, so lunch is my only problem-free time of day.
    @jenn43 I love Laughing Cow cheese. Definitely my go to snack!
  • I eat a lot of egg salad and soup.
  • Chicken Noodle Soup today! Yummy

Pregnancy Ticker

• Vegetables mostly. I can't get enough of them!
  • I made the most delectable salad for lunch today. It was a mixture of premade salad mix and spinach, diced red onions, strawberries, cucumber, (pasteurized) bleu cheese, walnuts and poppyseed dressing. Yum.  

Married 10/13/12
    TTC Since 8/2016