August 2015 Moms

Question for BTDT moms!

What do/did you find to be the toughest stage or age of raising your LO? Are the first two weeks the hardest? Is it tougher at 3 mos? 6mos? I secretly am hoping you are going to say the first month, because then I'd be almost done with the hardest part;-)
Me: 37, DH: 38: ttc 7 years, dx: unknown
10/11: after 2 years, saw a RE, FSH 5.4
11/11: BFP! (surprise after thyroid & normal hsg),
12/11: missed m/c after 7 week u/s, 1/12: D&C
6/12 IUI#1-IUI #3: clomid = BFP!, C/P
IVF #1(10/12) FSH 5.4, AFC: 16 long Lupron, 5R/5M/4F, all 4 made it to 5dt, 1 blast/1-8 cell transferred=BFN
IVF #2(12/12)AFC 21, MD lupron, 4R/4M/3F, 5dt of 1 blast and 2-8cell. BFN.
IVF#3(4/13) Natural start antagon protocol, 12R,11F. one PGS normal at day 6 transfer. BFN.
IVF#4 (11/13) C.CRM (ODW.U normal 8/13 Still no Diagnosis) EPP/antagonist. ER 13R/7M/6F. Only 1 made it to freeze. Abnormal. Looking into options of DE, Fresh vs frozen.
10/14 new local RE to look into what's next. CD3 FSH 4.7, AMH 0.9. Met with DE agencies and exploring options for feb/march 2015.
Surprise natural bfp (4 days before donor is signed). Beta #1 at 9dpo: 51.8, 2nd beta: 195 (25 hours doubling) @11dpo. 3rd beta (12/15): 516 (35 hrs doubling) 4th beta(12/17): 895 (58 hours doubling) 5th beta(12/19): 2120. U/S at 5w0d(12/22): one gestational sac with yolk sac. U/S #2 (6w0d)12/29. One little bean measuring 6w0d with HR 124. 3rd u/s(1/4)7w0d: baby measuring 7w2d. HR 134. 3/30: A/S at MFM went great except for low lying placenta. Verifi results are normal! Team Blue! Please send any positive thoughts our way! EDD:8/24/2015
Baby Will born 8/18. He's perfect.

Re: Question for BTDT moms!

• Depends on the child. My first child was a piece of cake from birth until 2yrs. My 2nd child was a challenge from day 1 and continues to be challenging but in different ways as he gets older. #3 so far is super chill and sleeps a lot.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • Loading the player...
  • I have an 18 month old and now a 4 week old, and I can tell you without a doubt the toddler is a million times more difficult than a newborn. Toddlers need constant attention and are always learning and having tantrums over the dumbest things. It is all great and amazing but it isn't always easy, that's for sure.
  • I personally had the hardest time when my LOs were 1 month until they were 3-4 months. That's when the witching hour crying spells started and they had more awake time. Every evening when DH would get home, they were crying. I would try to tell him they'd been good all day, but he didn't believe me because they were so crazy. The 5 Ss really helped but some nights they just screamed and screamed while we shushed, rocked, and fed. DH used to call them "sleep terminators".

After the 4 month mark, the craziness slowed down and they started to get more personality and we've enjoyed all the stages so far after that. I think DH had a really hard time bonding with screaming infants that didn't do anything.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Depends on the child. My first child was a piece of cake from birth until 2yrs. My 2nd child was a challenge from day 1 and continues to be challenging but in different ways as he gets older. #3 so far is super chill and sleeps a lot.

Seems like you have my kids! Lol same with me. And each baby is different. My first two were high demand babies but #3 is super chill so I'm just soaking it all in!
  • For me the infant stage was the hardest, because they can't verbalize what's wrong, so as A FTM I was constantly nervous and second guessing myself. This time around it's a little easier with reading the cues and learning your child's specific needs. I also learned to enjoy this stage because it will go by the fastest.

Seems like you have my kids! Lol same with me. And each baby is different. My first two were high demand babies but #3 is super chill so I'm just soaking it all in!
    I am trying to soak it in too!! I don't want to put her down because I don't know if she is my last. I want a 4th but DH needs some convincing.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • For me the first four months of being a new parent were the hardest.

I have a 30month DD and a newborn DD. It has been so much easier the second time around and I get along with my toddler so well. In my 30 months of experience those first four months were rough.

I HATE the "everything goes in the mouth phase" though. That's my least favorite part of parenting babies; sand, mulch, mud, lint, shoes, the cat, EVERYTHING goes in the mouth :(
  • I have personally found age 2 to be the most difficult!

• This is a hard question since it does depend on the child, and no doubt most ages are difficult in their own way. It's been my experience that stages for my first son that were tough (like three was awful for him but I loved the time between age one and two) were the opposite for my second son (one and two were harder and there was a breeze). Makes me wonder what my little girl will be like. Currently my boys are 8 & 4 and my daughter is 5 weeks.

I think I can definitely agree with the newborn stage being hard with each of them, even though I haven't had any huge issues like reflux or things to deal with. It's just tough to have a baby that typically prefers you and only you, gets up 10000 times a night and is new to the world and therefore you and it are trying to figure everything out. It does get easier after those first couple months and a routine is established. But then they learn to crawl and walk and talk and the years fly by and yes, they grow more independent but there are other challenges that arise like their attitude, social interactions, school, etc.
  • Honestly I have LOVED ages 1-2.5 My almost 3 year old is starting to become challenging but mainly if she doesn't get quite enough attention during the day. The first 6 months with her though was a nightmare. Between the horrible reflux and hours upon hours of screaming both day and night, her first 6 months is a total blur. This baby seems to be more calm but still has her screaming moments. I am really looking forward to when she gets to be about 6 months old too. I just think it will be more fun. I like getting out and doing stuff with them and they don't get really interactive with stuff till around then.
  • I thought the first 6 weeks of DD's life were the hardest weeks of my entire life! I have heard the phrase 'it doesn't get easier, it just gets different' a lot but i honestly think it has gotten easier and easier. I hope I can say the same for DS, even though he is -so far- a pretty easy baby! (Don't want to jinx myself tho).

There are a lot of challenges to each stage but I am just not a baby person, I like the toddler stage better because you can chat and play together and reason with them (sometimes!). Even though they drive you crazy every day. So it depends on the baby you get, and it depends on your personality and preferences too. But whatever happens, you'll get better at managing your LO, you'll start to get more sleep, and, therefore, it will get easier!
  • Well, my niece hasn't been here since she was a baby (moved in at 2.5 yrs) but I have to say once she started kindergarten, all hell broke loose. See, before we had her in school, she was not as exposed to things ( attitude, clothing styles, electronics). When she went to school, it was all iPods and rudeness, and I don't want to wear that. Its only gotten worse in first grade. We actually got along back then. Thankfully she's a bit of a tom boy, so the clothing isn't too much of an issue.
  • With my two oldest 2 -3 years have been the hardest. They both went through a really bad biting phase during that time. Made it impossible to arrange play dates. They both were poop Picasso during this time too.