Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

Plane ride with 11 mo old. tips?

Anyone have any tips for riding on a plane with an 11 month old? Any suggestions? Thanks! 

Re: Plane ride with 11 mo old. tips?

• Options
    Our LO was 9months in her first plane ride. I kept her in my ergo for going through security then an umbrella stroller so she could look around in the airport. We let her explore by the gait to stretch her legs. Wiped everything with Purell wipes on the plane before we sat down. A few easily cleaned toys for on the plane. Nurses or offered a pacifier on the way up or down. She slept 3 out of the 4 flights and enjoyed all the sights and people. We also rented out car seat from the rental company and felt confident in her safety and the convienen for us. Good luck and happy flying.
  • Options
    Pack several small novel toys and books that your child hasn’t seen before (like, from one dollar store)

Come armed with your child’s favorite low-mess snacks

Be ready for lots of noise and surprises and don't feel too much stressed about being the reason of your neighbours' discomfort.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    How long is the plane ride? Are you the only adult traveling?
  • Options
    kluns49kluns49 member
    At the end of my, my daughter will be going on her third flight from VA to FL. First when she was 3 months, then 9 months and now she will be a year :) the 9 month flight was awful the first 30-45mins because she was overly tired and upset. She screamed a lot but I just held her close and she finally fell asleep ( thank goodness ) lol. But everyone around me understood and was so kind :) I'm nervous about this upcoming flight, but I realized there is nothing you can prevent if your baby wants to cry. Just give her/him toys, food or whatever keeps them occupied! I think this time, I'm going to bring more "different" toys that she can really explore with on the flight! Good luck!
  • Options
    We just went on a flight with our 11 month old daughter. i picked a flight during her nap time so she slept for half of it. The other half was snacks and new toys. Also, make sure baby is drinking a bottle during take off and landing so her ears dont hurt from the cabin pressure. 
  • Options
    Did you purchase your child a seat? It is safest to put your lo in their car seat in their own seat. It'll be like riding in the car. :-)
  • Options
    I have a travel question same as the OP we will be flying in september (only a 2hour flight) with our soon to be 1 year old (now 11 months) im concerned for the preasure on his ears does the pacifier help with that or are their any tips. also we will be taking his car seat with us any tips on lugging it through the air port? and do you know if it is allowed on the plane or do I have to check it. if I have to check it what do you do for the LO in the plane seat? thanks all

September march16 siggy Challenge
  • Options

I have a travel question same as the OP we will be flying in september (only a 2hour flight) with our soon to be 1 year old (now 11 months) im concerned for the preasure on his ears does the pacifier help with that or are their any tips. also we will be taking his car seat with us any tips on lugging it through the air port? and do you know if it is allowed on the plane or do I have to check it. if I have to check it what do you do for the LO in the plane seat? thanks all

Did you buy a seat for baby? If not they have to sit in your lap. If you did you can put your car seat in the seat. We checked our car seat.

We just flew with our 9 month old and luckily he did amazing. We just made sure to have a bottle or pacifier during take off/landing. But he didn't even act like it bothered him.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    themrs83 said:
    Did you buy a seat for baby? If not they have to sit in your lap. If you did you can put your car seat in the seat. We checked our car seat. We just flew with our 9 month old and luckily he did amazing. We just made sure to have a bottle or pacifier during take off/landing. But he didn't even act like it bothered him.

yeah he has his own seat thankfully. its like $50 to check anything so we are trying to do all carry ons and buying diapers and food when we get there.

He is a pretty chill little dude so I hope he is just mesmerized by the whole experience that he wont cry. we are also lucky that it is during his normal nap time! glad to here your trip went well!!

• Options
    Car seats should be free on most airlines, FYI. We had to pay for our checked bags but not the car seat.
  • Options
    did you have to have an id for your little one? DH and I were just talking about that last night... how does going through security with them work?

• Options

did you have to have an id for your little one? DH and I were just talking about that last night... how does going through security with them work?

I've flown with DD 2x and the airport security never asked for her id.
    But the airline might require you to show a birth certificate to get your LO's boarding pass, especially if your LO is travelling as a lap child. Check the airline's policies.
    Going through security has not been much different than going through it without a baby. If you are bringing breastmilk or ready-to-feed formula, there can be an extra step where they are taken aside and inspected closely. Different airports have different procedures.
  • Options
    leela02leela02 member
    edited September 2015
    My DD was 10mo last time we flew and she didn't seem to have ear pressure issues. We tried to get her to use her paci during take-off/landing but she wasn't very cooperative. If the car seat is FAA-approved for plane use you can use it on his seat. You can't put him on a plane seat without a car seat. We brought a Cosco Scenera NEXT car seat that weighed only about 8lbs. so we didn't have to do anything special to carry it around. There are some products you can buy for helping carry heavy carseats, you might want to check the baby gear forum for suggestions.
  • Options
    Hopefully your LO will sleep a lot, but try not to stress too much if your LO gets bored and fussy. If they are bored enough, even new toys won't distract them from feeling sick of being in the plane lol. Don't give them toys that make loud noises that are likely to disturb neighbors.
  • Options
    I flew with my little one at 5, 9 and 11 months. The 11 was the hardest bc she can walk and wanted to stretch legs. Bottle for take off and landing. A tablet / ipad to let her watch Disney cartoons was a lifesaver. We have baby headphones (they don't go in the ear) and she loved it. You don't need a separate seat for baby - they are considered "lap children" until 2 years most airlines. Check w your carrier. A new toy is a great suggestion as well. And there shouldn't be a fee to check your car seat but It may depend on airline. I gate check ours bc I feel it has less of an opportunity to get banged up and trashed if it's the last thing to go into the plane and doesn't have to make the trip down the conveyer belt and those little baggage cart things that drive down the Tarmac.
    Team Pink!

BabyFetus Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker